VOGONS

Common searches

Help!

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Trying to get Tomb Raider to work with latest version of Glidos and VDM Sound in Windows XP SP1 (DirectX 9.0a). I have Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with latest drivers.

I had clicky broken sound and no red book audio when running this game with VDM sound before I tried Glidos. It then ran great and I was going to buy it, but the game froze after around 3 minutes play. This freeze locks up my whole system. Alt-Ctrl-Del and Esc and Alt-Tab do nothing. I have to reset the PC. I have tried running with all the different options in Glidos and searched this Vogons for help. I also tried disabling VESA (enabled by default). No joy.

Also what is Forced Texture Smoothing in Glidos and should the sunglasses option in Tomb Raider be set to 'Normal' or 'Mip Mapping'?

Please help me someone!

Tom B

Reply 1 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know really. I get the impression most of the problems lately have been on GF4s. There's a few things to try.

* Run The TR setup and select no sound card. RUn it like that for a while to see if that stops the crashes. Helps to rule out Audio early.

* Disable your Screem saver.

* If you have nView enabled, disable it.

Forced texture smoothing make all textures bilinearly interpolated, even if the game specifies otherwise. It is a good thing to set for TR.

The Mip Mapping setting in TR should have no effect.

Reply 2 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

Its running flawlessly for me and I've got almost identical specs to yours. Ti4200 and Creative Audigy. Make sure you have the latest drivers for both the video card and the Audigy.

I had a lot of hangups on WindowsXP with my Audigy until I installed updated drivers so that's probably the cause.

I can't be arsed to register at yet another forum so I'll just post as Unregistered again. I'm the guy who made the glidos $$$ thread btw.

Reply 4 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have checked and I do have the latest drivers for GF4 and Audigy 2.

Tried running C:\Tombraid\Setup.exe and chose No Sound - the game locked up on the eidos interactive logo before the video even started. I was able to get out by using Alt-Ctrl-Del with this crash.

Re-installed Glidos and Tomb Raider using your installer and selecting No sound on your installer.

Game ran for longer without crashing (with no sound apart from the red book audio) but after a certain time it locked up again.

I'm pretty sure Nview is disabled, and my screensaver is off.

BTW the only effect I noticed when changing the sunglasses option to mipmapping is that the Glidos 3d text thing appears, when on level 1.

Reply 5 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There has to be something nasty running in the backgorund. Worth making completely sure that nView is turned off. There's a setting "Enable Desktop Manager" in the advanced part of Display manager. Having that enabled does nasty stuff. do you have anything running that monitors the tempature of your CPU. That sort of thing can play up.

Just in case, might be worth trying an older version of Glidos. If you go to download v1.22, but change the url from Glidos_v1_22.exe to Glidos_v1_19.exe, you'll find old versions are still on the web site.

Reply 6 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

Only in the BIOS setup menu is there a CPU temperature reading facility. Nview is definately disabled.

Glidos 1.19 was worse - it got to the menu screen then locked up.

Tried disabling some of the things in the task manager - no joy. Tried to disable more things but Windows got upset and shut down. Enclosed is screenshot from Task Manager before I closed anything. Playlist, DrgToDsc, and stuff are from Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 I think.

Attachments

• background programs.jpg
    Filename
    background programs.jpg
    File size
    71.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

Your flawless running is with Carmageddon, not TR I guess, yes?

errr .. yeah. I guess I should have mentioned that in the post. I had so many Carmageddon related posts open at once that I failed to notice that this thread was about Tomb Raider.

This is the Glidos $$$ person again.

Reply 8 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plenty of possible culprits in that task list. Running XP, I don't have

MsPMSPsv.exe
CTSVCCDa.exe
PlayList.exe
RxMon.exe
DrgToDsc.exe
CTHELPER.exe
CTDVDDET.exe
CTSysVol.exe
point32.exe
type32.exe

Modern printer drivers are a real pain, they seem to take over the whole system, starting loads of background tasks that make things you don't want happen automatically. They seem to take the attitude. "Ah the user is intalling a printer driver, so obviously, form now on, they will never want to use their computer for anything else than printing.

Reply 9 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT*.exe are all Creative services (disk insert notification, other useless shit like that). Turn some off in the Services CPL. (Start > Run "services.msc", Creative Service for CDROM Access) The other ones you'll need to disable stuff that is running at startup. I recommend Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel.

MsPMSPsv.exe is "Windows Media Device Service Provider" -- your favourite company's Digital Rights Management package. "Supports the Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) which is used when packaging copyrighted music." Listed as "WMDM PMSP Service" in Services. Change it to "Manual" or even Disable it altogether.

point32.exe is useless crap installed by your Microsoft IntelliMouse drivers. (Why you installed the drivers I don't know since it's built into the damn OS, heh.)

Anyway, there's everything I can identify off the top of my head.

And, you can't Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Del? Sounds like a PollPipe.dll runaway process. Paul, did you change the PollPipe's priority back to something intelligent (Normal) for the 1.19 release?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

And, you can't Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Del? Sounds like a PollPipe.dll runaway process. Paul, did you change the PollPipe's priority back to something intelligent (Normal) for the 1.19 release?

When I implemented the "Perfect PIT timing" stuff, I tried putting the priority back to normal, but some of our mates here complained that this caused audio break up. The current version runs the DOS game at high priority, but throttles it back when there's an interval with no graphics.

Every now and then, I give out a version that doesn't raise the priority, for people to try out; there's one attached to a message in this thread I think (I'll have a look in a minute).

Reply 11 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Every now and then, I give out a version that doesn't raise the priority, for people to try out; there's one attached to a message in this thread I think (I'll have a look in a minute).

Must have forgotten. Here's one to try

Attachments

• Filename
    pollpipenopri.zip
    File size
    13.87 KiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception