VOGONS

Common searches

Redbook Audio

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Looks like I'm gonna have to go back to the original software rendering mode. I have got it to work perfectly without Glidos now using VDM Sound without any clicking.

However, the only problem is the lack of redbook audio. Seeing as you worked out how to get that working in Glidos, is there a way to get the CD audio working without Glidos in the original software release?

Many Thanks,

Tom B

Reply 3 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

I gave up with Glidos - thanks for your help and good luck with the project. I will try it again if you release a new version or if I change my video card (I will probably buy whatever Nvidia card comes after the GeForce FX).

Looks like I'm gonna have to go back to the original software rendering mode. I have got it to work perfectly without Glidos now using VDM Sound without any clicking - although there is no redbook audio.

The best solution I found for that was to ignore the lack of background sounds until the cutscenes, then play the cd track in WMP 9 as closely synchronised as possible! It works ok like this. I can live with the software graphics too (just about), gives a touch of nostalgia! LOL

Of those items running in the background, some are from Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 Platinum, and the others are the EAX and volume changing software that are part of the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 installation. I have tried disabling all of these that I could but TR still crashed.

My system is:

ASUS A7V8X Motherboard (VIA APOLLO KT400 chipset)
Latest BIOS [1011], latest VIA Hyperion (4 in 1) drivers [4.46]
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
512MB 266MHz DDR RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1a [all Windows Updates installed]
DirectX 9.0a
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 AGP 4x latest drivers [44.03]
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 latest drivers/updates [09/05/2003]
Hard Disc Win98SE Partition (C:)
Clone CD Virtual Clone Drive (D:)
TEAC 40x CD-RW (E:)
LG 16x DVD-ROM (F:)
MAXTOR UDMA 133 80GB Hard Drive (G:)

I also have a Windows 98SE partition but there are no DOS sound card drivers, and VDM sound wouldn't work in it I don't think. I'm also trying to get things working in XP so I can take Win 98 off.

Reply 4 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the info. It does look like there isn't much left to try. I've no idea what is happenning, but it is a problem that a few other s have run into. I guess someone will stumble across the cause at some stage.

Apparently, there is a version of VDMSound for Windows 9X now.
There's a pretty good chance of Glidos working for you under 9X, because the way commands are piped is completely different, but I understand the desire to lose 9X completely.

Sorry you've had wasted time.

Reply 6 of 8, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, this worked for a friend of mine who just an Audigy2 without any kind of DOS drivers.

This was using Glidos, and VDMSound for both WinME and WinXP.

One thing to note, in WinME, don't auto detect the card settings. Try and find out what VDM is using then manually enter them.
i.e. Irq 5, DMA 1, Port 220.
In the case of my friend, it was IRQ 7, DMA 1, Port 220.

Anyway, try this.

Goto http://www.padus.com/ and download Discjuggler. Don't worry about the trial notice, you are only reading to an image NOT writing to a CD.

Download this CD emulation tool, Daemon Tools

http://home.so-net.net.tw/martinx/dtools/daemon333.exe

Install both programs.
Run Discjuggler
Goto New task, then CD Player to CD Image.
Click advanced tab, tick Ignore errors.
Choose your best CD reader (TEAC 40x CD-RW)
Choose a destination, then start.

Run Daemon Tools, Right click the little icon in your tray, Goto Virtual CD/DVD, Device 0:, Mount Image, and mount your TR image.
Just install from that image, and run TR, setup your soundcard, and see if that helps.

One last thing, Right click on the daemon tools tray icon, Options, then make sure Automount is on, and Analog Audio is on.

That worked for both me and a few friends.

Paul, you will have something real soon. Promise, mate.
Just been ill for a few weeks.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2