Common searches

Tomb raider french version

Topic actions

First post, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
Does Glidos work with un french version of TR1?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pffff!

It does not work with mine.
It was almost perfect with the english one but i prefer play the french version.
After the install, I ran Glidos and : read error 996 !!!

😳 😒

So, after uninstalling Glidos, Vdmsound, TR1 and reinstalling everything, Glidos says: tomb.exe wrong version!

Reply 4 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok,

So i have uninstalled everything (vdmsound, glidos and TR1 ) , installed vdmsound and Glidos once again. But now, i suppose that if i want to play in french version, i have to install TR with the french CD only, the archive file on Glidos website will not work with the french TR1 CD i think...

Another question 😁 , how to make a clean uninstall of Glidos?

Reply 5 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, install from the CD, and then you have to find a french version of the 3DFX TOMB.exe to substitute (maybe that's on the CD). If you have trouble running the installer, VDos32 will do it, although it crashes after it completes the task.

To uninstall Glidos, delete C:\Program Files\Glidos

Reply 6 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK! Thanks!

So i have tried to play with a tomb.exe file found on the net (the original file on the french cd does not work with glidos which says "tomb.exe bad version"!), but it's certainly not a good one because a black screen appears after Glidos runs. The game runs after "Esc" but in english version only and without the start scene with Miss Natla!

I hope i'm going to find this french version of tomb.exe 🙄

Ok so i went to the eidos french website and downloaded the 3dfxtomb.exe file. But it doesn't work !!!!
😳

Reply 9 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PolanX wrote:

but it's certainly not a good one because a black screen appears after Glidos runs. The game runs after "Esc" but in english version only and without the start scene with Miss Natla!

That problem with the black screen and needing to press ESC is what happens when TR1's audio isn't configured correctly. To fix it, find C:\TOMBRAID\SETUP.EXE, right click on it, and select "Run with VDMS".
You can then let setup autodetect the sound settings, save and it should work.

It sounds like you'll be stuck witht the English version though.

Reply 10 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Run with VDMS is now configured and i hear lara in french (during the sound test) but Glidos does'nt work because of a wrong tomb.exe file.

I tried so many wrong tomb.exe files that i finally put the cd' s one in th tombraider folder...waiting for a good one 😀

Reply 12 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, i have sent a request in a french forum but no answer for the moment 🙁

It's strange because i think i am not the only one in this case...

Is it possible to convert the original tomb.exe ?

http://www.eidos.fr/support/search.html?gmid=1
On this website, there is a tombub.exe for 3dfx only.....

Reply 13 of 21, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no French exe. AFAIK, the one available at Eidos France is the same for all European countries. That's the one I'm using with Glidos and I do have the French voices.

http://www.eidos.fr/support/patchinfo.html?ptid=40

There is also a topic here at Vogons where I gave the links for the 3dfx Voodoo files.

Reply 14 of 21, by KMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PolanX, does the English Glidos-supporting version work with your French CD? If you get French internal and CD dialogue, then presumably all that's left is the game-generated on-screen text. The binary could probably be patched relatively easily to get it back to French. There's only level names, item names, and a few bits of menu text. Or is there some other problem?

Reply 15 of 21, by PolanX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes Glidos works but when i use the tomb.exe extracted from (the tombvoodoo.zip (link below), the game starts (with the french cd), voices are in french but text is still in english.

It's almost perfect but not completely 😖

Reply 16 of 21, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The text letters are individual textures stored on the cd, so if the french version has french text (textures), then someone would have to extract the text letters textures from the french version and create a special texture set that would be run as a texture set ( like one of the new xtra textures sets ).

If the French version does not contain the special French text characters then someone will have to make one .

Considering how the textures are laced into the game levels ( scattered all over and repeated in every single level, but not in the same places ) I would be a bit surprised if eidos/core went to the expense of actually generating french text , and if they did I am curious if the xtra texture sets will work with the french cd.

Reply 17 of 21, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember having any texture-related problem between TRX and my French version. Except for the menu, I don't even remember any on-screen text in the game. I think every piece of dialogue is spoken, and it comes out in French with Glidos.

I think there's a French character map. It's weird: there is no accented character, but what looks like accent overlays (bottom right). Though it might not be French-specific at all -- I can see a German umlaut stuck in there.

I'd be interested in looking at the corresponding texture in the international version, but I don't think the small amount of text content in the game justifies any hacking of the executable.

Texture: EFE6179F82CA4471725D4532BC8AA60D

(I don't remember whether I captured it from TR1 or TRUB. It might be common to both.)

Reply 18 of 21, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kaminari

That EFE61...folder is the file folder generated for the title/menu screen for TR

unfortunately rather than re-call the efe... file each level has the letters packed into it's textures helter skelter . that is to say that particular file is only used for the title screen for TR.

but more to the point when re-texturing the game there were a lot of "letter" textures that do not get used in the U.S. PC version . in some cases it was obvious that some of the textures were meant to be used on the PS version , I always figures the colon and various other oddities were part of that playstation legacy , but perhaps they are part of multi language support?

At any rate that "complete.bmp" is the exact same one I get in the EFE61... file when extracting textures from my US version