VOGONS

Common searches

Glidos for x64

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by sean_skroht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there

I was wondering if it were possible to bring out an x64 version of Glidos?

Ive made the move over to Windows Xp x64 for varying reasons and have no need for x86 version anymore, nor do I have the inclination to have a dual boot computer. No point having a x86 partition just for Glidos when everything else I have runs fine on x64.

Anyways I cant get Glidos to run on x64. The Glide Server window comes up ok but the game wont start. If I press Start Game button, nothing happens.

So id like to ask if an x64 version is in the works. If not, pretty please?? Im down on my knees begging. I bought this program twice. 😀

Thanx.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think vdos32 is his solution for 64bit Windows. Don't really know how feature complete it is compared to GliDOS. Supposedly it runs TR about the same as GliDOS.

64bit Windows doesn't have the ability to run 16bit code natively so he had to write an emulator to do so. Whereas GliDOS basically layed on top of NTVDM in 32bit Windows and provided audio/video emulation services.

From my testing there are still some games that do not run under 64bit so it isn't really that wise to remove your 32bit Windows unless you know for sure that ALL of your games work and that any game you aquire in the future will work with 64bit Windows.

For instance if your using 64bit Vista then you have 2 strike's against you since Vista itself is already much less compatible than previous versions of Windows and alot of games aren't compatible with the 64bit OS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that's more or less it.

I believe Glidos runs fine under 64bit Windows, but its not a lot of use when the games wont run. VDos32 was intended to solve this by providing a way to run the games, so that they can pipe their graphics to Glidos. Trouble is there is one thing missing under 64bit Windows that VDos32 needs, and so far I've found no way to support it.

Reply 3 of 9, by sean_skroht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replies guys 😀. Your info was helpful.

I wasnt able to get VDos32 to run Tomb Raider under XP x64 either. But as you guys say its more to do with the game itself rather than Glidos or VDos32, although VDos32 doesnt want to unlock over the net in x64. Keeps asking me repeatedly to unlock it.

As for game compatibilties in x64 I havent run into too many problems. Most older 32 bit windows games that came with 16 bit installers were a problem, but I got around that by installing them on a virtual machine and then burning the files, folders and registry entries to a CD/DVD, for permanency, and then copying them over to x64. A pain I know, but worth it. 😀

As for 16 bit games, most of those that I have are DOS games and DOSBox takes care of those. The Duam Cafe Build of DOSBox has been pretty helpful in getting Tomb Raider to run with Glide, but it aint no Glidos. The quality of Glidos graphics is far superior.

I know nothing about programming, so I cant speak from experience, but I would have thought that Microsoft could have provided better support for older software on 64 bit windows, especially Vista. As time goes by and hardware technology improves, and required hardware specifications increase, especially RAM requirements, the need for a 64 bit OS becomes more and more essential. Therefore I believe backwards compatibilty is also essential for all that software that people have invested their hard earned money into over the years.

Anyways I'll keep playing around with things. If you guys have any further suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanx.

Reply 5 of 9, by sean_skroht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that would be something to look forward to - getting it to work with DOSbox would be a fantastic idea. 😀 Hopefully its not too difficult to do.

The one thing I like about Glidos is that I can run Tomb Raider at 1280x1024 whereas with DOSBox I have to run it at its usual resolution.

Reply 6 of 9, by calydon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may be stating the obvious, but does this mean that Redguard can't work in Glidos even with vdos32 under XP64?

That would be a shame.

When I try to load Redguard through Vdos I get a 'not an LE file type' error, and if I try to load it with Glidos, even with vdos32 in the Glidos folder, I click 'start game' and nothing happens.

Cheers,
Cal

Reply 8 of 9, by 2awesome4apossum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, yes it wont work on XP64. It's bloody patch guard. I need to control the LDT, and patchguard stops me doing that. I've found no way around it to date.

But for someone as brilliant as yourself, I'm sure that it will happen someday. Most people aren't up to using a 64-bit system yet, although it would be wonderful to get support for that soon.

Because I'm going to be upgrading to 64-bit pretty soon, I'm going to wait to purchase my Glidos keys until there's some emulator to support that. (And thank you for being so courteous about my email.)

If you *do* make Glidos support DosBox, I think it would be nice to make sure it'd work in fullscreen very well. I'd hate to see what would happen with the comparably high-res texture replacements in that bitsy window. So long as no features are lost, DosBox would be pretty cool.

Do you have a place where you post the things you're working on in Glidos? Especially if you decide to support DosBox, that would be very great to kind of see how the progress is going.

Reply 9 of 9, by rustycusak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just released v1.45 of Glidos. v1.45 can make use of an altered version of DOSBox so as to work on both 32bit and 64bit XP, Vista and W7.

There are a few teething problems: Descent II wont run, and Redguard has to be in Windowed mode, but besides that it seems mostly working. `

buy r4 dsi