VOGONS

Common searches

JC Remix

Topic actions

First post, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It isn't really the right place to post this because I've wandered away from Glidos. However, since I started out here I thought some of you may be interested in what I have been up to...There have been some advances in the realm of the Level Editor and it is now possible to use 256x256 textures with it. I was curious so I tried my hand at porting what I did with Glidos across, the initial attraction being the possibility of using a high polygon Lara. The model I've been using is by Po Yu, based on TRA Lara. Here are some screenies:

Attachments

• Filename
    Caves-01.jpg
    File size
    230.01 KiB
    Downloads
    530 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Caves-08.jpg
    File size
    208.93 KiB
    Downloads
    506 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Caves-13.jpg
    File size
    206 KiB
    Downloads
    510 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Vilcabamba-11.jpg
    File size
    208.21 KiB
    Downloads
    536 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Valley-01.jpg
    File size
    146.79 KiB
    Downloads
    565 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 18, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks sweet! I keep vaguely abreast (!) of Lara's exploits in level editor land and have been intrigued by NGLE and TREP though haven't investigated them at all. I don't really have time for such things anymore, but if I do get a moment, your screens suggest I should try it out too...

Reply 4 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I'm a few stations behind. I knew about Tomo's TRGE exe, but I didn't release that the patching community had progressed that much during the last year.

It sounds very promising, although I don't quite understand the drama going on between the TREP patcher and the TRNG editor. Apparently, TREP development is dead. Is it because of compatibility issues with TRNG, or maybe because TRNG's author has announced that he will release his own patched engine later next year? It's a bit confusing.

Reply 5 of 18, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I would be about as confused as you are! What I have discovered is that, as it stands, there are no compatibility issues that affect what I am doing. I have used TREP to enable a reconstruction of certain TR1 elements that are not possible with the standard TR4.exe: standable-pushable blocks and spikes Lara can walk through for example; and to effect some wizardry that wasn't in the original game. I have almost completed the conversion of all the Peru levels, including the cut scene with Larson, and I haven't hit any snags yet!

Attachments

• Filename
    Vilcabamba-12.jpg
    File size
    150.01 KiB
    Downloads
    468 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Vilcabamba-08.jpg
    File size
    222.78 KiB
    Downloads
    448 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Caves-04.jpg
    File size
    216.66 KiB
    Downloads
    445 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Caves-02.jpg
    File size
    248.34 KiB
    Downloads
    477 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks absolutely fab.

How are you proceeding about the levels conversion? I know TRe3D is compatible with all TR formats, but I thought TRNG was essentially a drop-in TRLE replacement (ie: only compatible with TR4 format). How are you importing TR1 levels into TR4? You're not rebuilding them from scratch, aren't you?

Reply 7 of 18, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using a great little utility by Aktrekker called TR2prj. It reverse engineers the level files and converts them to a .prj file that can be loaded into NGLE (I don't think NGLE is the same thing as the TRNG that you keep going on about-but I might be wrong?). TR2prj does an almost perfect job - just the odd little discrepancy or two, which are usually quite straightforward to fix. That just leaves me to do the wallpaper job, the lighting and the additional accessories such as wolves and what-not. I have to do the re-texturing manually, but this is cool since I get to fix texture alignment to my heart's content! Recent additions to TREP include the ability to include FMV - I need to think about that one....

Reply 8 of 18, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

man, I have to investigate that. Just the ability to sort out all the crappy alignment issues is enough of a reason for me. Can't wait to see your effort!

Reply 9 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JC wrote:

I don't think NGLE is the same thing as the TRNG that you keep going on about-but I might be wrong?

TRNG (Tomb Raider Next Generation) is the set of tools which NGLE (Next Generation Level Editor) is a part of. The author Paolo Buratti has also announced that TRNG will soon include NGE (Next Generation Engine), a revised TR4 executable that should replace current patches like TREP.

Reply 10 of 18, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jc , that is some very neat stuff 😀

It looks like you are also changing a few of the textures from the ones you used in the glidos version ?

do you happen to have a couple of convenient links to the apps you are using for this conversion project ? and are you willing to share the modified maps ?

also from the webalizer of the trx page this new project of yours is generating some interest in your work ( also last month you had a pretty good month for total downloads ) .

Reply 11 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomb Raider Next Generation (TR4 editor replacement)
Tomb Raider Engine Patcher (TR4 executable patcher)

Skribblerz is also a good entry point to look for editor tools (TR2prj, Strpix, etc).

Reply 12 of 18, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get all the tools you need from here:
http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm
Apart from the level editors (you need both the original and NGLE), you will need Wadmerger, Strpix and TR2prj. Fexinspect can come in useful too. There is little point in my sharing any maps becuse you can convert them from the level file in seconds and fixing any errors involves minimal work - apart from that I have added one extra secret to each level and I'm keeping them secret 😉

edit- nice one K...you were online same time as me!...I forgot to give directions to TREP!

Reply 13 of 18, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank to the both of you gentlemen

I'm keeping them secret
😉

..hhmmm... interesting , so this implies a certain amount of passion (and a nice little hook) embroiled in your latest project 😀

Reply 15 of 18, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just downloaded NGLE and with Map Texture Convecter I have option to make textures of just 128x128.How to load 256x256 textures? Can I just make my own, and load it through roomedit? 😕

Reply 16 of 18, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Anton! NGLE defaults to 128x128. You have to make your own TGA strip of 256x256s and in the editor you right click and drag to select the whole texture ready to apply. I am still putting the finishing touches on the Peru levels + cut scene!

edit- I forgot to warn you...theoretically you can use up to 64 256x256 textures per level, but in reality it turns out to be around 50 - I think the editor counts the part-textures you apply. One bonus though, is that you can apply additional big textures to all the objects using Wadmerger and Strpx. Overall it means that you are working to similar limitations that the original game restricts you to!

Reply 17 of 18, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys sorry for posting in such an old thread but I havn't been here forever and I'm trying to find JC's conversion of TR1. The screens he posted look great. If JC or anyone can let me know if this was ever finished and show me where I can dl his levels I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.