Common searches

So... (Extreme Assault)

Topic actions

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How's the "Extreme Assault" emulation coming?

Reply 1 of 27, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sort of works, provided you have grabbed a couple of updated files from the glidos smartgroup files area. The files are in a folder called "Extreme Assult". The frame rate isn't quite as good as in software mode, which is disappointing, but it does look very pretty and its playable.

I had to hack something to get the auto targetting working, and that isn't perfect. It now targets everything within a certain distance (even if the items are hidden from view). How it should
work is that the game compares the distance of potential targets with the values in the depth buffer, but it slows everything down
too much if I keep passing it the true depth buffer - something I might be able to fix eventually.

For anyone who already has Glidos, its worth downloading the demo to have a look at.

Reply 2 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

It sort of works, provided you have grabbed a couple of updated files from the glidos smartgroup files area.

Which is..of course...unavailable at the moment. *grumble*

Reply 5 of 27, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It works okay here. If you just unzipped the file quickly, maybe you ended up with the Glide2x.ovl file in a subfolder of your Glidos folder. The replacement Glide2x.ovl must be in the top level of your Glidos folder.

Also you must start the game with the "Start game" button.

Reply 6 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

If you just unzipped the file quickly, maybe you ended up with the Glide2x.ovl file in a subfolder of your Glidos folder.

Actually It appears that the problem was that I placed your download very close to a file of mine with the same filename.

I actually extracted one of my own glide2x.ovl's...D'oh.

Problem's fixed, will check it out later.

Reply 9 of 27, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh, nice piccies.

Are you getting a useable frame rate?

At the moment there are some fog commands that are being ignored. Sometime, I'll try to sort those out. It might make a big
difference; certainly fog makes an enormous difference to Redguard.

Eventually I might get the targetting working correctly too, but that's very difficult because it involves the game reading the z-buffer, and the OpenGL z-buffer is the wrong size, in the wrong format and being held by a part of the system running under a different OS.

Reply 10 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Are you getting a useable frame rate?

Yes. I can definitely tell there's a drop in framerate between software and GliDOS, but it seems to be "mostly smooth". I'm presently running a Celeron 1.7G with 512Meg DDR RAM.

At the moment there are some fog commands that are being ignored. Sometime, I'll try to sort those out. It might make a big difference;

Really? Hrmm. This isn't the 10-feet-in-front-of-you-wall-of-fog I hope. Any chance you could leave that as switchable option?

Eventually I might get the targetting working correctly too, but that's very difficult because it involves the game reading the z-buffer, and the OpenGL z-buffer is the wrong size, in the wrong format and being held by a part of the system running under a different OS.

Then congratulations because I can hardly tell the difference. I get occasional "wrong targets" (hitting TAB causing it to select some target that's the least of the threats/very far away) but the software targeting doesn't seem all that different to me.

Reply 14 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops. Appears to be an issue with the full "Extreme Assault" (not the demo) and GliDOS.

Starts with flashing texture errors (alternates between correct texture and garbage). It's distracting but not critical as it appears to only happen on background textures. A much greater concern is that the emulation locks up whenever I restart a mission or try to proceed to the next level. Only solution was to kill the Glide server and restart (game restarts at the proper point).

Worse still though,...it appears that GliDOS won't work with the retail version beyond the 4th mission. Locks up. I can switch back to software mode and proceed just fine.

Will test further...(posting example pic)

Attachments

Reply 16 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's strange. I've had similar problems with Direct3D games (namely Midtown Madness 2, amusingly enough a Microsoft product) but they were resolved with a patch. It sounds like there isn't one for Extreme Assault..?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

...but they were resolved with a patch. It sounds like there isn't one for Extreme Assault..?

Jumped on over to BlueByte and I was surprised to see multiple patches (as well as add-on levels) _still_ available. Not bad for a 5 year old game.

Patched up to v1.23 (the latest) and found that all the texture problems and Next-Level/Restart Lock-Ups were gone. Unfortunately, I also found that the framerate had sunk...like the Titanic. Not playable on a Celeron 1.7GHz. Ech.

So, I started some step-by-step checking and found out a few things.

First, the Good news. The v1.20 patch will alleviate all the previous problems without killing the framerate. This appears to be true up to v1.22. Struck me as odd since v1.23 was the only one that specifically mentioned the Voodoo in the changes (then again, v1.23 makes changes tailored for the Voodoo2. That should have been a clue for me).

Now the bad news, there's a minor problem with "mission briefing" windows not appearing correctly. They are partially obscured by the "frame" on your display. The other is that 640x480 was the _only_ resolution I could get to work. All others refuse to display the 3dfx graphics. I also got some "sparkles" at the edges of some things, but that's very minor.

So, it's mostly good news. Patch the game immediately after install, just don't use v1.23.

(Fixed Image)

Attachments

• extremeassault-fix.png
    Filename
    extremeassault-fix.png
    File size
    78.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Thanks for checking this out. Looks like I need to buy a copy. Any idea where?

Well I picked mine up at "Half-Price Books" for $4. BlueByte has all the patches and add-ons, but the original game isn't showing as "for sale". Might be kind of hard to find.

Reply 19 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geeze, Nicht, don't you ever check for patches before you complain? 😉 Really, for such old stuff, 640x480 should be fine anyway. Just use 4xFSAA to bump it up to an effective 1600x1200 if you're so concerned about running it at such low resolutions.

Yes, it’s my fault.