VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Okay, I'm thinking it might be a limitation to the game itself, but here's whats happening :

I run setup from DOS using VDMSound. It initializes and plays all the sounds find including tracks from the CD. However when I start the game, I get no redbook and it defaults to MIDI.

Here's where I think my problem might come from - I have a RAID system on my machine with my drives divided into 4 partitions, putting my CD-ROM drive on G:

My only question is, it recognizes it during setup, why not in the game? I have tried both enabling and disabling the autoexec CD-ROM option.

Mac-Abre

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll need to use Paul Gardinier's excellent GliDOS program to get Descent 2 working. Check the smartboard file section for additional files that might be necessary to run D2 with GliDOS.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you get any updates that Paul's made available? I know that there's something odd about the way DOS does CD support that doesn't work with NT, and that GliDOS corrects it, but perhaps it's not correcting it for D2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Redbook doesn't work for me either; I should have mention this in the installation instructrions to save you trying so hard to get it going.

It is quite possible for the setup program to work and the game not to. I've had that happen before with another game.

If you are using Windows NT/2000/XP then it is also possible that Glidos is stopping it from working. There is a special feature in Glidos to make Redbook work for Tomb Raider; it wouldn't surprise me if that upset Descent II. I'll look into that. I may be able to make it configurable.

Reply 5 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The special feature is "just" for Tomb Raider? Uh, "whyeee!?" Seems to me it'd be a better feature if it wasn't just for one specific game 😉
What's so different? I mean, redbook is redbook, and unless they're using some freaky hybrid (in which case it wouldn't be redbook), shouldn't it work fine?

Yes, it’s my fault.