VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by theheadcharge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, im considering buying Glidos, but i have a few problems which need ironing out. I did get one answered on tombraideforums.com but i think the cure is related to the second problem.
1. I had control problems, which i hear is fairly common where the game thinks the left, or sometimes down key is being held down and this afflicts the menu and in game. Someone said i should delete HMISET.CFG file before i start playing the game.

2. Sound - i was getting the background sounds (ie the clink-clink-clink noises, ambient sounds i guess you call them) but i had no effects of shooting or running. I did use the glidos installer to patch TR and i think this may be the problem, because when it starts does it set sounds to soundblaster pro?

OK, heres how i think the problems are linked - i delete the hmiset.cfg thing, and then i have to run setup.exe to config my sound card (i use the sound blaster, 220, 1, 5 setting like you recommend and this does give me al sounds). However when i have run setup.exe it creates the file hmiset.cfg so that controls are messed up.
I am pretty puzzled because yesterday i managed to get TR fully working though glidos with all sounds, and good controls. I turned off my pc when i reached level 3, but when i went back to check if TR would still work (and to decide whether to pay for glidos) i had the problem of either getting messed controls, or no effects.
Im not really sure, but do you think that if i uninstall TR, then reinstall it and DONT use the installer on glidos site this will fix my sounds, as i can setup them to the way i need. Is there a way to get round control issues without deleting hmiset.cfg?
Thanks
Andy

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[quote="theheadcharge [/i]2. Sound - i was getting the background sounds (ie the clink-clink-clink noises, ambient sounds i guess you call them) but i had no effects of shooting or running.[/quote]You're getting the audio tracks of the CD properly, but the actual game audio isn't working (the game doesn't actually process the CD audio, it's just "handed off" to the OS).

I did use the glidos installer to patch TR and i think this may be the problem, because when it starts does it set sounds to soundblaster pro?

GliDOS doesn't "patch" TR. It will add an OVL file to your game directory, but that's about it. You can be sure the sound problem isn't GliDOS related.

(i use the sound blaster, 220, 1, 5 setting like you recommend and this does give me al sounds).

Actually, that's just an example. For Win9x operating systems, you've got to match it to whatever your sound card supports. Open up a command prompt and type SET into it and hit your Enter key. Hopefully, that should give your actual settings. To be sure, go into your Control Panel, click on System, then dig into your devices for your sound card. Check for the IRQ and DMA settings. Hopefully, they should match what comes up in your command prompt.

You can also let the SETUP program attempt to AutoDetect your soundcard settings. Unfortunately, it's known to fail and/or crash instead.

However when i have run setup.exe it creates the file hmiset.cfg so that controls are messed up.

I think you have some mixed-up info here.

#1) SoundCard settings are indeed kept in the HMISET.CFG file, and you will need that file if you want audio. Leave it alone.
#2) Custom keyboard settings are not handled by the setup program, but from within the game; and they are saved in the SETTINGS.DAT file, not HMISET.CFG. The DAT file is the one that may have to be deleted (even so, you only do that so the game can recreate it for you).

...i had the problem of either getting messed controls, or no effects.

Eh? You're not sure which problem you had?

Try deleting your SETTINGS.DAT file and reconfigure you sound settings as needed. Test it out and play with it (Don't customize the controls yet...). Does it work properly?

Originally posted by theheadcharge"]
Sorry, forgot to mention that i am running windows 98.

To save time in the future, place your PC's specifications in your profile. That way Paul can acces them with a single click (and you don't have to keep repeating them).

Reply 3 of 9, by theheadcharge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have set the sound setup to my actual soundcard settings, as you told me (the auto-setup wouldnt work and i wouldnt get sound effects) and i just tried it out (without installing glidos) and it worked fine, with the sounds and everything. To install the voodoo patch im not going to use the special installer provided, i will do it 'manually' as the installer asks for sound settings to be given, and i think this sets up differently to the sound settings i need.
You also were saying i only needed to delete settings.dat to make my controls work fine, but this wouldnt work, and my controls were buggered, im not using a custom control setup either. But deleting the hmiset file did fix my controller issues, no idea why from what you said.

Thanks for the help
Andy.

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by theheadcharge To install the voodoo patch im not going to use the special installer provided, i will do it 'manually' as the installer asks for sound settings to be given, and i think this sets up differently to the sound settings i need.

Definitely do it manually. Wasn't aware of any "Voodoo installer" and it's very odd that it would ask for the audio settings again. Hrrmm.. You know about this thing, Paul?

You also were saying i only needed to delete settings.dat to make my controls work fine, but this wouldnt work, and my controls were buggered, im not using a custom control setup either. But deleting the hmiset file did fix my controller issues, no idea why from what you said.

Oh, Lovely. A "Twilight Zone" issue. That makes no sense at all. Do you have a stick controller hooked up to your PC?

I'm hoping Paul has heard of this, because I sure haven't .

Reply 5 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh the madly spinning menu is because your computer thinks it has a joystick when you haven't or thinks you haven't when you have. Go into the Control Panel and delete the any joysticks if there are any, or set one up if there aren't.

With the audio issue: if you managed to get it working without Glidos, then run setup.exe from c:\tombraid and do whatever made it work before. The audio settings for software mode and Glidos mode are the same.

Reply 6 of 9, by theheadcharge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried to get TR working again by doing the joystick thing you recommend. One problem, it wont let me create a gamepad as i dont have a gameport on my computer (thats the reason i cant just use my old sidewinder to control it). This means i get the mad spinning logos and game. Any recommendations?

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by theheadcharge it wont let me create a gamepad as i dont have a gameport on my computer (thats the reason i cant just use my old sidewinder to control it

But does it show a controller already connected?