VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pforson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have recently purchased Glidos in order to get Carmageddon running and have encountered a few problems. It runs fine using Glide but is a little slow. However, when I use the Direct3D (psVoodoo) option it looks and plays like a dream apart from 2 major errors.

Firstly, the HUD (time, map, on screen text etc.) is all missing, all I see are semi transparent rectangles. Also, the smoke when the engine is damaged seems to have a problem with transparency and looks weird. Lastly, the menu works fine (with managed textures turned on) until you start a race and then return to it. At which point the screen is black (although you can still navigate the menu, albeit without seeing what you are doing).

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9200. Any suggestions as the psVoodoo version looks beautiful.

Thanks very much
Pete

Reply 1 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pforson wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently purchased Glidos in order to get Carmageddon running and have encountered a few problems. It runs fine using Glide but is a little slow. However, when I use the Direct3D (psVoodoo) option it looks and plays like a dream apart from 2 major errors.

Actually, its using Glide in both cases, OpenGLide maps Glide into OpenGL, and psVoodoo maps it into DirectX.

Very strange that OpenGLide should be slower, unless you have the Windows-installed drivers for your graphics card, but then it would be incredibly slow (1fps say).

Firstly, the HUD (time, map, on screen text etc.) is all missing, all I see are semi transparent rectangles. Also, the smoke when the engine is damaged seems to have a problem with transparency and looks weird. Lastly, the menu works fine (with managed textures turned on) until you start a race and then return to it. At which point the screen is black (although you can still navigate the menu, albeit without seeing what you are doing).

Sounds like it could be running the card out of memory. Are you running in a huge screen resolution? You could try 16bit mode, maybe.

Reply 2 of 17, by pforson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.

I have the latest drivers from ATI installed so thats not the issue. OpenGlide plays fine, I guess around 30fps or so, how do I check? Direct3D seems to be running around 60fps and is great except for the major flaws.

My video card has 128MB of memory and my system memory is 256MB but changing the resolution or picking 16bit mode have no effect on performance (I've tried all available resolutions).

I have to choose managed textures in direct3D mode otherwise the menu splits into strange sections and jumbles itself up. Is this to be expected?

I'm at work at the moment but I'll post images showing the problems tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Pete

Reply 3 of 17, by pforson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here are the pictures showing the issue.

1. all the 'text' has been replaced with transparent rectangles
carm1.jpg

2. The alpha channels seem to be inverted or something on the smoke
carm2.jpg

3. The menu graphics turn into jigsaw puzzles (this can be fixed by turning on 'managed textures')
carm3.jpg

Any ideas as to why this might be happening and how it might be fixed?

Thanks very much,
Pete

Reply 5 of 17, by pforson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here it is:

psVoodoo v0.7

Shader Version: FFFF0104
Number of texture stages: 8
Number of simultaneous texture: 6
Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_ARGB_1555
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
def c0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
def c1, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, c1, t0
mul r0.a, c1, t0

Warning: unsupported grTexMipMapMode called
Warning: unsupported grTexLodBiasValue called
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, v0
mul r0.a, c1, c2

Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_P_8
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, c1, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mul r0.rgb, c1, c0
mul r0.a, c1, c0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2

Any suggestions? I'd really like to get this working if possible.

Ta,
Pete

Reply 6 of 17, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

33jlmpj.png

It seems to change from dark to bright depending on the camera angle and the maps look overally darker than they should. No idea what's going on.

XP Pro SP2 + Gefore 6600 + Glidos 1.41 in OpenGlide mode.

Can anybody confirm? 😐

Reply 8 of 17, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OpenGlide is indeed slower, but after playing around with the driver settings (Forceware + Geforce 6600), I discovered that I could drastically help my framerate by disabling Triple Buffering 😀

As for the other issues, I have experienced the transparent rectangle thing and the menu fuckup, which fortunately only lasts for a fraction of a second.

Reply 9 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved to GliDOS

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I'm having no luck with Carmageddon what so ever. It wont run at all on my main computer. On my previous computer, it runs but asks for the CD even when it is present.

I can see that the Direct3D option in Glidos might run into problems because Carmageddon uses direct rendering to the front buffer which is hell to support in DirectX 9.

I'm thinking of having a go at making VDos32 support Carmageddon. Then at least I'd be able to play it here.

Reply 12 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting somewhere with VDos32. I now have it playing the FMVs and getting as far as showing the first ingame view, looking down on the starting line, but then it send a glide command to Glidos that causes an error. Not sure how hard that will be to sort out, but it's a start.

Reply 13 of 17, by pforson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Thanks for the continued effort in trying to get Carmageddon working.
did my psvoodoo.log file help at all?
does this work in getting VDos32 help in running under XP? or is it just a Vista thing?

Ta,
Pete

Reply 14 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The log doesn't show anything unusual, so I was wondering if the game was behaving strangely on your system. If so, use of VDos32 might help (under XP in addition to under Vista), but I'm still no closer to having VDos32 support Carmageddon.

Reply 17 of 17, by XPM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

psVoodoo v0.10

Shader Version: FFFF0300
Number of texture stages: 8
Number of simultaneous texture: 8
Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_ARGB_1555
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, c1, t0
mul r0.a, c1, t0

Warning: unsupported grTexMipMapMode called
Warning: unsupported grTexLodBiasValue called
Warning: using texture format GR_TEXFMT_P_8
Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mov r0.rgb, v0
mul r0.a, c1, c2

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, c1, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2
mov r0.a, t0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
mul r0.rgb, c1, c0
mul r0.a, c1, c0

Pixel Shader:
ps_1_1
tex t0
mul r0.rgb, v0, t0
mul r0.a, c1, c2

-

Also, see attachement.

Pressing the escape button should normally bring me back to a menu, but the screen is blank (black).
I can still move about though

Attachments

• Filename
    D3d.JPG
    File size
    139.53 KiB
    Downloads
    393 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception