VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fumaras

User metadata

hi,
first thanks for this great program 😀

I use XP (family SP1) with my new Sony Vaio computer (with GeForce 4 TI4200) and i try to install Tomb Raider 1.
Not work!!! i can't install it !
(if i choise full screen for launch install, i just see dos/4WG and all freeze, if i choise mode windowed and launch i see dos4/wg and i see the install screen but color are very strange like old 16 color mode and i can't use keyboard, all freeze and i can't install tomb raider 🙁 think problem with svga/vesa driver or other not present in my computer (xp family sp1) because univbe.exe (old program i have) say that svga are not found).

I install tombraider1 on an old computer with Windows95 and copy tombraid directory to my XP computer ( 😉 ).
Launch program (tomb.exe or setup.exe), don't work !!! (same problem i see dos/4wg and all freeze or color are strange in windowed mode and all is blocked).
I try to download the tomb.exe for other video card but same problem or black screen!

I install VDMsound (same problem) and 3dfx tomb.exe (not work) and GLIDOS 😀.
I launch, it's work 😀, Glidos is the key 😀

I have just 1 small problem, my computer is a sony Vaio and my hard disk is C: and D: and memory stick is E: and Dvd rom is F:,...
when i launch Glidos, the program tell me to put something in E drive.
I put a memory stick and launch and it's work.
Funny but i need my memory stick for my digital camera!
Can you make a possibility to choise the letter for the dvd or cd rom drive ? or tell me what you think about.
Thx for all, Glidos is great and Tomb Raider 1 with it is very great 😀(must register my Glidos version 😉 😀 )

PS:
Funny, Eidos official web site say that Tomb raider 1 is not compatible with XP and it's to Microsoft to found the solution 😮

Reply 1 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a line in the glidos.ini file (which lives in your Glidos folder). CDCheckFile: somethingorother.

Delete that, and it wont moan about the empty drives. But be careful, because the empty drives may make TR crash.

Reply 2 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fumaras wrote:

PS:
Funny, Eidos official web site say that Tomb raider 1 is not compatible with XP and it's to Microsoft to found the solution 😮

You could send them an email about how you understand that it is financially unviable to update TR1, but why on earth do they not refer to the Glidos and Vogons sites from theirs.

Obviously, I have a vested interest in this, but as a TR1 fan, even if I had nothing to do with the creation of Glidos, I would be most put out not to know about Glidos because the main support site refuses to mention it.

Reply 4 of 9, by Fumaras

User metadata

thx for your answer Glidos and Carrera.
For the small problem, if i delete the cdcheckfile, tombraider don't work.
At start glidos launch dosdrv (ok) i see two dos/4wg (ok) the program go to full screen but screen is white/yellow (strange) not black and nothing appear (i don't hear music game that say that game don't work).
I return manually to windows and i see a glidos warning windows (think it's the window glidos server).
must close all manually.

Reply 5 of 9, by Fumaras

User metadata

hummm, i first test when i am in internet connection and i think a special program i use (to show phone call) make this strange screen problem.

I retry (i restart XP) and launch tomb with glidos and program launch normally but if i don't put the memory stick in drive E: there is no message now but game don't launch (after the 4dos/WG, the msdos window just close!).
If i put my memory stick in E: game launch normaly !

Delete the CDcheckfile in glidos.ini just make the window "put something in drive E:" disapear but program need that there is something in drive E: to find F: (my dvd rom drive).

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Fumaras Delete the CDcheckfile in glidos.ini just make the window "put something in drive E:" disapear but program need that there is something in drive E: to find F: (my dvd rom drive).

Why not just use just use Disk Management portion of "Computer Management" tool (under "Administrative Tools" within the Control Panel) to make the CD/DVD drive the first "removable" device?

Just make sure your CD/DVD drive is the first removable drive, according to drive letter. IOW, change your memory stick drive letter to G:

Reply 8 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fumaras wrote:
hummm, i first test when i am in internet connection and i think a special program i use (to show phone call) make this strange […]
Show full quote

hummm, i first test when i am in internet connection and i think a special program i use (to show phone call) make this strange screen problem.

I retry (i restart XP) and launch tomb with glidos and program launch normally but if i don't put the memory stick in drive E: there is no message now but game don't launch (after the 4dos/WG, the msdos window just close!).
If i put my memory stick in E: game launch normaly !

Delete the CDcheckfile in glidos.ini just make the window "put something in drive E:" disapear but program need that there is something in drive E: to find F: (my dvd rom drive).

Yes, that's right. The empty-drive problem is a bug in TR itself. Nothing to do with Glidos, and not something I can fix. The CDCheckFile line makes Glidos warn you of the problem to stop it being just a mysterious crash. I suggested removing the line, just in case your particular configuration was okay for TR, but it was unlikely.