VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jeffareid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TR1 hangs at the end of a level, maybe related to loading the audio file, but it happens with both CD audio and MP3 audio. If I use CD audio, the background track plays only once, then quits. I'll have to test, but the MP3 audio did seem to loop OK.

Even though I choose MP3 audio, the cutscenes resulted in cd-rom activity, but I don't know if this was audio or video related.

Video may also be an issue, as I see the screen go darker and then brighter during these audio load (load a saved game or end level) events. It was worse if I had the video driver 3d brightness set to a value other than 0% (bad at 25% which I was using for another game).

Windows XP Pro, SP3.
Intel Core 2 X6800 (setting affinity to 1 cpu didn't help)
ATI HD 4870 video card
SoundBlaster X-FI sound card
2 GB Ram

It's been a while since I played TR1 with Glidos, so I'm not sure when it started failing.

update - I tried 1.41 and it appears to be working better. I'm on XP and I'm not using VDOS32.

Reply 1 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I shouldn't imagine it's audio related, not if it happens both with CD and MP3 audio. The CD ROM activity isn't too surprising.

The screen darkening and brightening is the change of gamma value. It's TR's way to do a fade to black between scenes.

Do you see these problems both with and without VDos32?

Does it happen both with the OpenGL and Direct3D setting?

Reply 2 of 5, by jeffareid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It only happens without vdos32.
I'm using direct3d. I haven't tried opengl yet. Tested so far:

1.42 with vdos32 - cdrom audio doesn't work, but mp3 does.

1.42 without vdos32 - both cdrom audio and mp3 work, game hangs on level change.

1.41 - without vdos32 - game doesn't hang on level change, but occasionally hangs up (very rare).

Reply 3 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Result 1 probably not surprising. Use of VDos32 avoids all the Windows DOS emulation.

The difference between 1.41 and 1.42 I don't understand. Are you sure you are using Direct3D in both cases. The default for v1.41 was OpenGL.

Reply 4 of 5, by jeffareid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1.42 fails in either direct3d or opengl mode, usually screen goes very dark.

1.41 fails only in direct3d mode. screen doesn't go dark, but after using task manager to terminate glide server, logging off shows TOMB.EXE still running.

Reply 5 of 5, by zjm68

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just browsed the forum for the first time in a while. If your still having the problem, I read this and remembered I had the same problem awhile back. I was told to download a preconfigured file and run it. It loads the correct files to run Tomb RAider. The file was named "TrAndUbForGlidos". This fixed my problem. Ask for this file.