VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaxDamage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I tried to play Carmageddon 1 using vdos32 option in Glidos (everything else is not working on Vista 32).

Game menu is OK, but is impossible to race - immediately after displaying first frame of starting scene (street & cars in grid) the game freezes with Vdos32's "Out of memory." popup.

Then I have to kill Glide Server via ctrl+alt+del.

It is happening on Glidos v 1.41. I also have tried v 1.44, but it didn't even start the game (it only displays some long and narrow error-popup right after clicking "Start game").

Any ideas how to get over that?
Thanks a lot...

Reply 1 of 1, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I know. It's really annoying. So close to working but not quite. When I first got it this close, I thought it was going to be easy to get the rest of the way, but it turns out that nothing in TR, VDos32, or Glidos is actually running out of memory. What it seems to be is something about the strange things I have to do in VDos32 causing the runtime system to fail in a memory allocation. I'm still hoping that I'll make a lucky guess as to how to fix it, but not there yet.

Another attack on the problem I've been working on is to use DOSBox in place of VDos32. I have that partially working, but I need to get DOSBox to accept Windows messages when not the active window before it will really be working acceptably. And I'm not sure how many games that approach will get working.