VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, this is for oldies who still remember the beginnings of Glidos, before all the new features and refinements were added (and the spinning logo). Beat this version! 😜

Starting Glide Server v1.5 (c) Paul Gardiner 2001

Please read this once, and then get back to enjoying Tomb Raider.

Glidos is free. You do not have to pay anything to anybody in order to use Glidos. This is important because I want everybody who appreciates Tomb Raider to be able to use Glidos, independently of their financial situation (from weekly pocket money to seven figure salary).

But there are substancial costs involved in the development and support of Glidos. The greatest cost is due to my line of work being contracting for an hourly rate. When I work on Glidos I lose money. That's my choice of course, I'm not complaining - it's rewarding work, but the cost does severely restrict the time I can give to it.

If you like Glidos, and you'd like to help, then make a donation to support further development. I'm thinking along the lines of 10ukp (or 15usd), less if that seems a lot to you. If you would like to make a donation, send a cheque, payable to "Laser Point Software Ltd", to:

Laser Point Software Ltd
11 Glovers Close
Woodstock
OXON
OX 20 1NS
United Kingdom

If you do not want to make a donation, then that's fine too.

Reply 2 of 9, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wizard wrote:

Starting Glide Server v1.5 (c) Paul Gardiner 2001

v1.5?

iirc I registered (paid for) Glidos in early 2002 and it was v. 1.10 then

that's only absurd
what version would that 1.5 be anyway? one of the illegal kind?
or do you mean Paul made a 1.05 back in 2001 nobody knew about (well, I for one sure didn't)?

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 3 of 9, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I started this thread to share some nostalgia, and to throw out a challenge to anyone who may have a version earlier than my V1.5
64 views of this thread and no challengers yet, so I'm King of the hill so far!

The first post has the text from the 'Support the Glidos project' tab to prove I really have a copy of V1.5

Seems I found a couple early versions of Glidos on an old hard drive of mine, and I began to remember how it was before Glidos was available.

Go back to late 1990's when Tomb Raider first came out on PC, then 3dFX Voodoo ruled...but if you didn't have it you would try different video cards with exotic features, and every Glide wrapper that came out, trying to smooth out the pixellated textures.

When searching the internet for the ultimate Glide wrapper you might be surfing sites such as The Croft Times whose specialty was Tomb Raider news. Or you might be searching through Dracmans Tomb Raider Shotgun City site. The early beginnings of Glidos are still to be found there.

My first version of Glidos was V1.5 (Glidos_v1_05.exe) and next was V1.7 both which were coded before the spinning logo was conceived. V1.10 is the first version I know had a spinning logo along with the unlock feature.

Glidos was the ultimate software fix for Tomb Raider at that time, and it continues to make history. 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi wizard, I think I also have 1.05, 1.07 and a third 1.0x version I can't remember right now (maybe 1.06). Do you have other old versions of Glidos? I'm also interested in early 1.1x versions, which where released before I knew of Glidos, and I could not find them anywhere. I already have many 1.2x and 1.3x releases. Posting a complete list of our Glidos backups would be a nice idea, so we can share not only our nostalgia, but also our files 😁

Reply 5 of 9, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey batracio...you are the man!

Just when I was thinking I was the last Glidos nostalgia buff,
thank you for for posting!

I still have V1_05, V1_07, V1_10, V1_12, and V1_19.

The rest are some of the V1_2X, V1_3X, and V1_4X releases.

I used to have more of the V1_1X releases,
before the unfortunate hard drive mishap.

Don't know if V1_08 or V1_09 were released,
but V1_10 is first version I know that has the spinning Glidos Logo.

So...looks like maybe V1_05 is still the earliest Glidos version released.

Actually, I would be very interested to know if V1_08 or V1_09 were released, and if so,
did they have the spinning Glidos Logo ???

In my experience with professional software authors, they rarely keep old versions of their work,
so our only hope for original early releases of Glidos is probably
from someone who squirreled them on their hard drive.

Reply 6 of 9, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again wizard, after searching in four different computers, I have found the following Glidos releases:

1.0x: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07
1.1x: 1.12, 1.14, 1.16, 1.18
1.2x: 1.20, 1.22, 1.24, 1.26, 1.28
1.3x: 1.30, 1.32, 1.34, 1.36, 1.38
1.4x: 1.40, 1.42, 1.44

It seems that I had more 1.1x releases than I could remember, and I only kept the even numbered releases. It's a shame I didn't keep them all, because I have checked the last modified dates of my files and found that I downloaded all those 1.1x versions on 27 Jul 2003, so I guess they were still available back then. Now Glidos download server hosts all versions starting from 1.32, but no trace of any older release: http://download.glidos.net

I have read the old Glidos mailing list and all versions from 1.01 to 1.09 are mentioned, though back in the days they were called 1.1, 1.2 and so on. A message posted on 25 Dec 2005 states that the first locked Glidos release was 1.08, so the last free version must have been 1.07, which we already have. By the way, the mailing list is archived here:
http://glidos.jigluhood.com/knowledge/sg-mess … hive/glidos.txt

Shall we share our files? You can have my Glidos 1.06 in exchange for your Glidos 1.10, deal? 😁

PS: Just found all versions from 1.14 to 1.25! Drop me a line if you are interested.

Reply 7 of 9, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, you have really done the homework! You have answered all the questions I had about the early versions of Glidos. Well done!

I didn't know about releases earlier than the V1.5...would be interesting to see how that V1.1 runs. Maybe someone out there still has a copy.

I downloaded a copy of the old mailing list...will make interesting reading this weekend. Those references to the rigs used back in 2001 bring back the memories.

Thanks for sharing your Glidos history...this stuff is well before I knew of Glidos, and very interesting reading.

Judging from the number of views of this thread, I think there are plenty of people interested in early Glidos history...anyone who wants to share their experience during the early Glidos times...here's your big opportunity!

PS I will try to PM you batracio

Reply 8 of 9, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All this talk of early Glidos nostalgia has me longing for the real thing...

A toss of some magic dust, a quick wave of my wand, and a time portal appears!

Eager for adventure, I jump through, and find myself in the year 2001...

And to my amazement I see many web pages, from the original 2001 Glidos website!

Actually, its the 'Internet Archive WaybackMachine'

located at 'http://www.archive.org/'

and a search for 'http://glidos.net'

will produce many archived web pages beginning with Sep 07, 2001

Hey, check it out and have some fun...its the next best thing to actually going back in time.

Reply 9 of 9, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool, I didn't know the archive backups were so deep. Now I have all ever released Glidos versions but 1.0-1.04, 1.08, 1.09 and 1.11; if anyone still has a copy of these, please post a reply here.