VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.
I have some questions about Glidos and Tomb Raider. I hope you can help me with some of them:

- Polygons and textures in the game are...like shaking, as it would happen on psx, only not so noticeable. Is this normal?

- I've just passed through Palace Midas level, and I've felt a little bit dissapointed when Lara has turned into gold on Mida's hand: Where are the nice shiny metal reflections, the shiny golden Lara from the psx version? All I got was a matt mild yellow Lara.

Now for a couple of sound/music issues:

-When Lara goes underwater, there's a background "underwater" sound, apart from the sounds of her diving and bubbles. That sound lasts only for a few secs. In psx, however, underwater sound is looped forever until you -or the camera- get out of the water, providing a great underwater mood. Did you know about this?

- I made a replacement CD containing all the tracks I personally ripped from my psx disc: Made a mixed CD with the tracks in the exact same order as Kevin Bracey -I think- showed on a chart I`ve stored on my hd for years. Set the redbook option to ControlCD, being the CD in the drive with the lowest letter. I got no music at all during gameplay. Wierd, since I put another music CD in the drive -Carl Orff's Carmina Burana- just to try, and the triggers in the game made it sound (in a messy way, of course). Why can't I make the replacement CD with all the music and ambient sounds work? I'm using VDos32 0.9 btw.

-Then I switched to the audio pack. I downloaded it and replaced all the mp3 tracks from the pack with my ripped tracks from the psx disc and renamed them to match the audiopack files, according to Bracey's chart. It worked like a charm, even though the tracks are wav files, only renamed to mp3. Still, when Lara meets a trigger, the game chops or hangs only for a split second, and then the music or ambient sound starts to play. It happens everytime...I wish it was so smooth as in psx. Can I fix that?

Finally one last question: Which GLide driver is better, OpenGlide or psVoodoo? Can I use antialiasing with any of them?

Thank you so much for your help and your patience, and sorry for my poor English. 😅

Reply 1 of 3, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Famicom wrote:

Hi guys.
I have some questions about Glidos and Tomb Raider. I hope you can help me with some of them:

- Polygons and textures in the game are...like shaking, as it would happen on psx, only not so noticeable. Is this normal?

Yeah the game produces polygon coords accurate to only 640x480. Kevin Bracey had a look to see if there were more accurate values being truncated, but it looked like not.

- I've just passed through Palace Midas level, and I've felt a little bit dissapointed when Lara has turned into gold on Mida's hand: Where are the nice shiny metal reflections, the shiny golden Lara from the psx version? All I got was a matt mild yellow Lara.

Yeah, I was disappointed too, but that's what the game does. Shame, seeing as Glide is capable of so much more.

Now for a couple of sound/music issues:

-When Lara goes underwater, there's a background "underwater" sound, besides the sounds of her diving and bubbles. That sound lasts only for a few secs. In psx, however, underwater sound is looped forever until you -or the camera- get out of the water, providing a great underwater mood. Did you know about this?

I'm not sure I did. Someone did mention a problem with all background sounds, which occured if using Glidos's CD control in combination with Kevin Bracey's patched TOMB.exe.

- I made a replacement CD containing all the tracks I personally ripped from my psx disc: Made a mixed CD with the tracks in the exact same order as Kevin Bracey -I think- showed on a chart I`ve stored on my hd for years. Set the redbook option to ControlCD, being the CD in the drive with the lowest letter. I got no music at all during gameplay. Wierd, since I put another music CD in the drive -Carl Orff's Carmina Burana- just to try, and the triggers in the game made it sound (in a messy way, of course). Why can't I make the replacement CD with all the music and ambient sounds work? I'm using VDos32 0.9 btw.

Yes, VDos32 doesn't support play from CD. I have use of DOSBox fully supported now. I'll release a new version soon. That's probably your best bet.

-Then I switched to the audio pack. I downloaded it and replaced all the mp3 tracks from the pack with my ripped tracks from the psx disc and renamed them to match the audiopack files, according to Bracey's chart. It worked like a charm, even though the tracks are wav files, only renamed to mp3. Still, when Lara meets a trigger, the game chops or hangs only for a split second, and then the music or ambient sound starts to play. It happens everytime...I wish it was so smooth as in psx. Can I fix that?

Hmmm, not sure I've ever seen that. Might be the wav files. Presumably they are much bigger than the cooresponding mp3s. The delay might be while loading from disc.

Finally one last question: Which GLide driver is better, OpenGlide or psVoodoo? Can I use antialiasing with any of hem

psVoodoo has more features. You can probably use antialiasing with it by setting it up in the graphics card setup. I know nVidia support it.

Thank you so much for your help and your patience, and sorry for my poor English. 😅

Actually, I didn't pick up any signs that you were other than a native English speaker.

Reply 2 of 3, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answers, that was fast 😉

I've been checking a couple of things:

- Restored the original mp3 files. I still get the same chop (fraps shows a slowdown from 30 to 28 fps approx., maybe I should call it a tug or something; the graphics freeze for, let's say, 1/10 secs, so it's not a big deal, but it's a bit disturbing in Lara's mansion with all those triggers). Maybe with VDMSound...I'll give it a try and post it here.

- I've uploaded a small sample video with the continuous underwater sound, taken from the psx game (emulated with ePSXe 1.7.0), so you can hear the non-stop looped sound, which is not looped in Glidos (maybe it's a VDOs32 issue or maybe just my system or configuration) and compare it with Glidos.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0f7rGKrHdk

I do my best for Shakespeare not to get angry, I'm glad to hear my E. is not too rusty yet 😊, since I don't practice too much these days...

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 3, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Famicom wrote:

Thank you for your answers, that was fast 😉

I've been checking a couple of things:

- Restored the original mp3 files. I still get the same chop (fraps shows a slowdown from 30 to 28 fps approx., maybe I should call it a tug or something; the graphics freeze for, let's say, 1/10 secs, so it's not a big deal, but it's a bit disturbing in Lara's mansion with all those triggers). Maybe with VDMSound...I'll give it a try and post it here.

Sorry. No idea what is causing that. You could try experimenting with the different DOS emulations. although tou use the mo3 files with DOSBox as emulation, you'll need the new version that I have yet to release.

- I've uploaded a small sample video with the continuous underwater sound, taken from the psx game (emulated with ePSXe 1.7.0), so you can hear the non-stop looped sound, which is not looped in Glidos (maybe it's a VDOs32 issue or maybe just my system or configuration) and compare it with Glidos.

I'm pretty sure it's specific to the PC version of the game. As far as I know, it's always done that on the PC.