VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

There are more:
Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally (in Germany: Bleifuss 2, Bleifuss Rally), the Glide patch for Screamer2 was on the SRally-CD, but there were also upgrades to both games to get a higher level of compatibility with various Voodoo boards, nevertheless both fail to run on my Voodoo2 (SRally starts, but locks up after 10 minutes of play).
Was Archimedean Dynasty not a DOS game too?( Schleichfahrt in Germany). There was a 3DFX-Patch for it.
Considering that there are probably a lot more games out there I think it´s a bad idea to lock the "new" game option, this way noone who has one of these games (like me) could test if they run and/or try to tweak them so that others can benefit from the testing.
By the way, is it legal to sell a software based on open sourcecode anyway? Or wasn´t the original OpenGlide-code published under the GPL?

Further questions: Are there Glide-Wrappers for Glide1-API-based games like Mechwarrior2 and the other games that came with the original Voodoo-cards? I ask that because I have yet to find a glidewrapper that will run POD flawlessly, the main problem is that you cannot install the "standard" version first and then the upgrade to use glide2x, that way you´ll end up with the standard geometry files for some tracks and cars which have less colorful textures.

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are more:

I recommend that you help edit this list:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=39

My original list was here: showthread.php?s=&threadid=14

Read, and reply, please. Anything you can add. Yes, I know they're old threads, but I'd like to keep updating them whenever possible.

Was Archimedean Dynasty not a DOS game too?( Schleichfahrt in Germany). There was a 3DFX-Patch for it.

Do you read or subscribe to Glidos' SmartGroups forum too? There's a user who got Archimedean Dynasty working...
Link to SmartGroups forum: http://www.smartgroups.com/group/group.cfm?GID=775298
Link to GLIDOS Archimedean Dynasty screenshots: http://www.smartgroups.com/pictures/openalbum … AlbumID=2244681

By the way, is it legal to sell a software based on open sourcecode anyway? Or wasn´t the original OpenGlide-code published under the GPL?

GLIDOS and OpenGlide are separate components, which are both included when you purchase GLIDOS. However, Paul's version of OpenGlide is also available free (while GLIDOS is not). You can even request the sourcecode of his alterations to OpenGlide from him, but per the license, that should be available freely, Paul. *ahem*

Are there Glide-Wrappers for Glide1-API-based games like Mechwarrior2 and the other games that came with the original Voodoo-cards?

Read this thread: showthread.php?s=&threadid=102
And this one: showthread.php?s=&threadid=5

I ask that because I have yet to find a glidewrapper that will run POD flawlessly, the main problem is that you cannot install the "standard" version first and then the upgrade to use glide2x, that way you´ll end up with the standard geometry files for some tracks and cars which have less colorful textures.

I'm pretty sure your POD patch problem has been covered and even fixed by the articles written by several of the many (now defunct) POD fan sites, such as POD Underground. (http://www.kineticdreams.net/underground)
There's been many articles written as to how to apply patches, although I can't find them at the moment. I recommend you check out this site (http://spiritfreedom.net/pod) and keep an eye on this one (http://www.kineticdreams.net/underground) which used to have the articles I'm thinking of. As an old time Poddie, I should know. Actually, I'll go try to light a fire under Redline to get his site going again, although QBall's site is/was pretty good for info.

Still, though, that doesn't mean you'll get a Glide wrapper to work with them. I believe we've determined in our threads here that the best ones for commercial games at this moment are GLIDOS' OpenGlide, and eVoodoo. The UnReal wrapper was fairly good as things go for TNT cards, as was the BigRRed wrapper for Rendition cards.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

ok, I behaved like a complete idiot and ranted on first impressions. Found out how to edit ini files myself and just tried Glidos with Screamer Rally and found it to be a tad slow on my Athlon XP 1900+, but otherwise, no graphical glitches. It is noteworthy though that you seem to need the no-cd cracks for the old Screamer games under Windows XP since all of them do not seem to be able to access the cd-drive directly.

Anyway, thanks for your lengthy and polite answer. I´m just digging through the threads you pointed me to and hope I´ll find some useful information there. Sadly, I still think that at this point it is better to have a second old pc standing around with a Voodoo1-board to get the old games up and running, this seems to be the best solution since voodoo1-boards can be found for almost nothing on ebay these days. If only there ever was an emulator which is hassle-free and works with all games... but I´m dreaming again.

Reply 3 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm always interested in new games. As Stiletto mentiones, we are trying to keep a list here; if you have time to help update it that would be great.

The "new" facility isn't locked; its unimplemented, simply because I haven't had time.

Also, Glidos isn't based on OpenGlide. It is an interface between DOS and windows that will drive a Glide Wrapper. I distribute OpenGlide with Glidos without charge. I have also updated OpenGlide. The version distribued with Glidos is useable without Glidos and without paying for Glidos. I am also happy to release my source changes.

That's interesting about the no cd cracks. It would be great to have some of those in the files area of the Glidos forum.

Also, it would be good to know if any of these games have downloadable demos. I can't always find where to buy them.

Yes, and speed is a problem, but I have plans.

Reply 4 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

the cracks are available on the megagames website, search for them, they are labeled as "game fixes"
http://www.megagames.com/cracks/ should help, or search for them on astalavista
Just trying Screamer2 now, looks good, but again, speed is far from playable. I use a Geforce3 btw, slightly overclocked.

Reply 5 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for info.

As for slowness. Are you getting a lot of messages in all capitals
in the Glidos server dialog?

Also, have you tried setting ControlJudderFix: 1
in the Glidos.ini files (probably help if I documented
some of this).

Silly little things can slow Glidos down, so altering configurations
like HUD setup can help.

Reply 6 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

Yep, the judder is set to 1, I cannot try any of the other games atm because most of my older CDs are stashed away somewhere and I don´t feel like digging them out under ten tons of stuff.
One good thing concerning POD though: The game doesn´t run yet, but one can edit the ubi.ins in the installdata folder on the cd to choose which requirements have to be met to install which version of POD. It is a good idea to remove the checks for DirectX and Intel Indeo too because the old versions won´t install under newer OSes and if one part of the installation fails it is completely cancelled and all files deleted. Stupid Ubisoft folks.

Reply 7 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least you can change the requirements... there are other installers that won't. ANNOYING. Good to hear it works, though. I did the same thing regarding the INI files, so don't feel too bad about it all. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose you could use the D3D version instead... but the GLIDE version is SO much BETTER..... yeah.

BTW, found these instructions for Win2000 & POD 2.1 Glide Only at NTCompatible:

Voodoo1,2,3,4,5 & Banshee & Pod ver 1 or 2 Glide Only be sure to get latest patch ver 2.1 off UbiSoft it ftp "ftp.ubisoft.com" Y […]
Show full quote

Voodoo1,2,3,4,5 & Banshee & Pod ver 1 or 2 Glide Only
be sure to get latest patch ver 2.1 off UbiSoft it ftp "ftp.ubisoft.com"
You will need V2 Fix & Update Pod Patch

Step 1 (Voodoo1 owner skip this part)
download this ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/PodUpgrade/glide.exe
Unzip you find two files in it glide.dll, sst1init.dll
copy them to c:\winnt\system32 folder then install Pod after word's
you need to del them.

Step 2
Install Pod on Windows2000
Put in the Pod CDROM

Step 3
Choice Your Language

Step 4
Click on the Install Button

Step 5
Click on the Change Button

Step 6
Now you should see 3 Dots "DBL click on it"
You should see Small, Medium & Large Installation
for MMX, MMX with 3dfx & with 3dfx

Step 7
Click on the Software tests Button
uncheck both check box

Step 8
ideally choosing a medium or large install
then DBL click on the you went for install it

Step 9 (Voodoo1 owner skip this part)
Del both glide.dll, sst1init.dll

Step 10
download this
ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/PodUpgrade/Patches/3dfx … ePOD21_3dfx.exe
then you need to upgrade Pod

Step 11
Be sure rename ir41_32.dll before you start pod or it will crash Pod evertime,
or here quick way to do it that is the batch way that it restore ir41_32.dll
& good pod will never know the diff hehe.
Just save the line below in the C:\UbiSoft\Pod2_0\
name some thing like Pod3dfx.bat well do

---------------Cut Line here------------------------
rename c:\winnt\system32\ir41_32.dll ir41_32.dll.old
podx3dfx.exe
rename c:\winnt\system32\ir41_32.dll.old ir41_32.dll
----------------------------------------------------

And don't forget to make ShortCut too

Note:
Sorry the DirectX ver of Pod crash evertime so work round for that one.
All so the Voodoo5 5500 & Pod will run so damn fast it will your made
head spin hehe what you need to do is this,
go to 3dfx Tool's & turn off Anti-Aliasing or run under
2x or 4x AA mode.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Are there Glide-Wrappers for Glide1-API-based games like Mechwarrior2 ...

You're best bet for MechWarrior2 is the "Titanium" release. This provided Direct3D support that's beyond the original Glide support.

http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/index.htm

Reply 11 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Um...wow. What happened to the lighting effects in the Titanium release?

Don't know. Could be an "early-Direct3D release" side-effect. Still has better definition though...