Common searches

Tomb Raider FMV Error

Topic actions

First post, by jrumsey1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya,

Im trying to play tomb raider I on glidos however the fmvs play for a few seconds before stopping and making a very loud buzz kind of noise, will try and get a video capture of it to demonstrate what i mean. Repeats all the time for every fmv.

Game: Tomb Raider I (Sold-Out V2.1)
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
BIOS: Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 7450 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Graphics: NVIDA GEFORCE 9200
Audio:Realtek High Definition Audio

VDMSOUND 2.1.0
Dosboxforglidos 1.1
Glidos 1.47
Installed using TrandUBforglidos.exe

Putting it into OpenGL and turning off VESA support seems to work (couldn't do it via editing the ini as directed on glidos site) so now the FMVs are playing through completly and without noise but the picture is quite low quality as in i can see the 'scan lines'

Any way of fixing this?

Reply 1 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen that behaviour before, but not for a long time. It would happen if the graphics card was having trouble keeping up, but that shouldn't be the case with your card, unless you selected OpenGL and didn't have the OpenGL drived installed.

The setting change that has made it work for you is turning VESA support off. That makes the FMV's play using Window's DOS support. It is very strange that that works under Vista.

Have you tried selecting VDos32 under DOS emulation (and turning VESA support back on)? That's the fastest emulation when it works.

One other possibility is a problem reading from the CD. It would have to be something wrong with the drive making it work in PIO mode. I sort of doubt that.

Reply 2 of 20, by jrumsey1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just checked last set of drivers was 2 weeks ago and it supported OpenGL 4.1

and im on 64bit vista so vdos32 doesnt work

Last edited by jrumsey1 on 2010-07-28, 10:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jrumsey1 wrote:

but if i didnt have opengl installed then surely the game wouldnt run under that mode?

It would run but very slowly in software emulation mode.

Have you tried selecting VDos32 under DOS emulation (and turning VESA support back on)? That's the fastest emulation when it works.

VDos32 doesnt seem to be working, but probably because im on 64bit vista,

Aw right of course. The fact that you were running without VESA support made me think you must be on a 32bit system, but I was forgetting that DOSBox would then supply VESA.

I'm having trouble thinking what to suggest. I have seen the problem before, but years ago, when some graphics cards had trouble keeping up.

Reply 8 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is something I'm hoping to do, but I just have no time at the moment.

Sorry, I've had no further ideas on your problem. I guess one posibility is to

turn off Glidos's VESA support, so that DOSBox does the FMVs directly. If you add the lines

[sdl]
fullscreen=true

to the file dosbox.conf in the Glidos folder, then hopefully the FMVs will play full screen. Might work. They'll play with scanlines showing, because that's actually how they look: Glidos has special processing that fills between the lines.

The one other thing that has in the past mysteriously solved many problems is to uninstall everything and reinstall, but I wouldn't hold up much hope in this case.

Reply 9 of 20, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have problem when i run tomb.exe in glidos 1.47
i get message: Can not initialize FMV player
how to solve it? I used Tomb Raider Gold and tomb specially preconfigured for glides from your site

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 11 of 20, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am fixed this broblem. Its Not original CD.
Now i had next problem, on your site you write that we can play 2 levels without logo? but it instantly appear.
So there is exist any other (demo?) games that can be played witout logo in first level?

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 13 of 20, by megaman9511

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello. sorry to "bump" this topic but I can't get the Tomb raider 1 FMVs to play fullscreen. Adding
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
to the .conf file kinda works, but when I get to the game main menu all I get is a black screen. Can anyone help ?

I'm using glidos 1.47
the modified dosbox for x64 systems
opengl mode, with VESA glidos emulation off

Reply 14 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megaman9511 wrote:
hello. sorry to "bump" this topic but I can't get the Tomb raider 1 FMVs to play fullscreen. Adding [sdl] fullscreen=true to […]
Show full quote

hello. sorry to "bump" this topic but I can't get the Tomb raider 1 FMVs to play fullscreen. Adding
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
to the .conf file kinda works, but when I get to the game main menu all I get is a black screen. Can anyone help ?

I'm using glidos 1.47

Try taking "fullscreen=true" out of the .conf file, and turning on VESA emulation in Glidos. That way DOSBox should pipe the FMVs to Glidos's main window.

Reply 16 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaVeN-05 wrote:

I am fixed this broblem. Its Not original CD.
Now i had next problem, on your site you write that we can play 2 levels without logo? but it instantly appear.
So there is exist any other (demo?) games that can be played witout logo in first level?

If that's Tombraider where you are getting the logo in the first level, try pressing F4 and restarting the game.

Descent II also should play a few levels without the logo.

Reply 17 of 20, by megaman9511

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:
megaman9511 wrote:
hello. sorry to "bump" this topic but I can't get the Tomb raider 1 FMVs to play fullscreen. Adding [sdl] fullscreen=true to […]
Show full quote

[sdl]
fullscreen=true

I'm using glidos 1.47

Try taking "fullscreen=true" out of the .conf file, and turning on VESA emulation in Glidos. That way DOSBox should pipe the FMVs to Glidos's main window.

yeah turning VESA emulation ON kinda did it. the movies just look kinda ulgier and there is some stuttering when a movie starts. but oh well, better than nothing I guess

Reply 18 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megaman9511 wrote:

yeah turning VESA emulation ON kinda did it.

Ah good.

the movies just look kinda ulgier

Hmmm, uglier in what way? Glidos attempts to recapture their original resolution and then scale them without the black grill of lines. That should make them brighter and clearer, but it does mean the compression artifacts are more visible.

and there is some stuttering when a movie starts.

I've heard of other people having stuttering. Not sure why yet.