VOGONS

Common searches

Vdos

Topic actions

First post, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I'm trying to get tombraider running with glidos so as I can play it with the texture packs. I haven't even got it running with glidos yet.
I installed it as per the installation instructions to the letter. Twice. Then for good measure reformatted and reinstalled the OS with latest drivers directx etc.
My problem always is - glidos server starts, vdos starts - click unlock vdos then I get an error message

"Couldn't find function ZwSetLdtEntries"

The game runs fine as it should without glidos, ie in normal crappy graphics mode.

My pc specs

Compaq deskpro EP
P2 400 processor
192Mb memory
10 Gb HDD
Nvidia riva tnt2 64 32Mb Vram
Creative Blaster 16 sound card
Win 98SE

I had glidos running fine with texture packs and ps2 sounds a couple of years ago on windows xp ... until the hdd died and took half my life with it. 😒 I couldn't remember having to change anything then, it just worked.

Any ideas, cos I'v been through every page on the forum and can't find any mention of this error.
Mick.

Reply 1 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's because you now have a 64bit OS. You'll need to go back to the Glidos download page and get the special version of DOSBox linked there. Install it, and then Adjust the Glidos settings to use DOSBox. The setting is under the DOS tab.

Reply 3 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops! 😁 I skipped over your post too quickly. That's the error you get from VDos32 on 64bit OSes. But I can quite imagine you'd get the same on W98.

In that case under the DOS tab, select "Windows", and there's no need to install DOSBox.

I have to admit, it's ages since I tested Glidos on W98, but it should be OK.

Reply 4 of 15, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok so I've set dos emulation to windows - this is the result. I can't edit glidos.bat as this is created on the fly by glidos as is game.bat - so they cant be changed to point things in the right direction ... any ideas? or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Attachments

• Finished.JPG
    Filename
    Finished.JPG
    File size
    29.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try installing GLIDOS in C:\Glidos.

Looks like PATH gets confused by the spaces in C:\Program Files

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 15, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now we're getting somewhere. I reinstalled glidos 1.47 in c:\Glidos and got tr running using windows emulation and openGL. I can't get it to run in Direct3D as glidos reports that it can't run psVoodoo. With openGL the textures are moving (or sliding) as lara moves. I've tried every combination of display settings but it doesn't change the way the textures behave. I've also tried using a texture pack, with the same results.

Reply 9 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah damn! TNT2! Last time I tried a TNT2, I had textures that moved around. Forgot about that. TNT2 used to work fine, but then in later versions of nVidia's drivers, the moving textures thing appeared.

I'm not sure what to suggest. If you could get hold of earlier drivers, it might work. I don't think OpenGLide is doing anything wrong. In fact, I think my test on a TNT2 was with psVoodoo, so the problem was apparent via both OpenGL and DirectX.

Reply 10 of 15, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

getting there now, installed early driver (29.42) from here http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win9x_archive.html that sorted the moving textures, now just the sound effects to get working ( footsteps, gunshots etc.)the music plays ok and I even tried the sound pack but no change.

Reply 11 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one. Well done.

To get the sound working, try running SETUP.EXE. It might be able to auto detect your sound card settings. Or you may have to experiment. It may crash a few times before you get there.

Reply 12 of 15, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's it, I'm there sounds and all and the hi-res textures and sounds are awesome.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

Praise be to the gods of glidos 😀 😎

Reply 14 of 15, by Mixxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, V1.47, W98, Nvidia Riva TNT2, Soundblaster 16 with windows emulation and openGL. On a PII 400 with 192Mb of mem. Also intsalled JC's texture pack and the sounds pack. Game is smooth, no judder or pauses. The only thing is, and it's not really a problem is when the game is first loaded I get a white screen for 10- 15 seconds which I assume is the textures being cached.

Great program guys.

Reply 15 of 15, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's quite amazing. I'd have expected the the TNT2 to struggle a little with the size of the texture packs, and the whole thing to be a little juddery on a PII 400 with 192MHz, but I guess W98 is making effiecient use of it all.

Thanks for the feedback.