VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brian1821

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I played Redguard through Glidos a few years ago on an XP machine and loved it, so I'd like to start by saying thanks to the creators of Glidos for making a great game accessible again!

Nowadays I have a Vista x64 SP2 machine (Soundcard looks like it is called "Realtek HD Audio") and was pleasantly surprised to find Glidos has a new version that is compatible.

Last night I downloaded Glidos v1.48 and DosBoxForGlidos 1.1. I installed Redguard, then inserted disc 2 (Play disc) into my computer. I launched using Glidos, making sure to change the Adjust->DOS tab->DOS Emulation from VDos32 to DOSBox.

Everything works great except I have no sound (music, voices, or sound effects) during the game. However, the music played fine during Redguard's installation and if I open disc 2 with Win Media Player I can listen to all 6 songs with no problem.

I spent a couple hours last night searching forums and trying to figure it out but no luck. Since no one else has this problem, I am sure I am missing a step in the setup somewhere.

I remember last time (on the XP machine) I used VDMsound to run the setsound.exe and get the audio working. Since VDMsound doesn't work on x64 systems, what are the steps to get the sound working for x64 users? Or is DosBoxForGlidos supposed to take care of the sound?

One last note, I have tried launching with all 3 Glidos Adjust->Audio->Redbook Emulation settings, but did not have luck with any of them. What is the preferred setting?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Brian

Reply 1 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, you don't need VDMSound. It's DosBox that handles the sound. I think you are right that you need to run setsound.exe, but you need to do that via DosBox. Not sure how best to do that. You could go into the Glidos setup, and change the executible to setsound.exe temporarily. Not sure that will work though.

Reply 2 of 2, by egdcltd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Yeah, you don't need VDMSound. It's DosBox that handles the sound. I think you are right that you need to run setsound.exe, but you need to do that via DosBox. Not sure how best to do that. You could go into the Glidos setup, and change the executible to setsound.exe temporarily. Not sure that will work though.

Just thought I'd post that this seems to work on Windows 7 64. At least I have sound.