VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D works 99%

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 160 of 177, by Flybert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm.... there aren't *that* many in-game palettes , + a few more for the DirectDraw shell screens ..

The .pal on my site is used for all objects and planes .. DirectDraw and Glide .. and everything but an effects .pal in DirectDraw

In Glide mode .. there are 3 terrain .pal files (all named the same , but seperated by the .vol files ) a sky/cloud .pal and a fx.pal

So basicly speaking , in DirectDraw they are only a couple of .pal files used in game , and in Glide 4 .pal files at any time ..

The objects use different .spl files depending on what they are , and each special Glide palette has a matching .spl file.

There's the main one described on the page link I gave , and different indexes are coded in the .spl files to shade or not for objects .. the Windows colors are *throwaways* that I think were just there so they are standard Windows/OS2 palettes.

I guess a better way to describe these .spl (special palette) files is that they are a single palette each , with coding to shift DirectDraw output automatically (per index #) for lighting effects.

One or more of them also prioritize the DirectDraw output so it is never more than 256 colors displayed.

Sorry , I really don't know anything about coding graphics wrappers or how OpenGL uses DirectDraw video output to render in 3D.

Reply 161 of 177, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting confused. I thought you said there were large files containing lists of palettes used for sun glare and the like. I guess I misunderstood: it does make more sense for the game itself to calculate new palettes on the fly, brightening ones specified in the models. The bad news is that this means modelers can't do anything to reduce the number of palettes used
during the running of the game.

Is there anything in the model files that controls sun glare?

Anyway, with any luck, v006b12 that I uploaded earlier today will fix lots of the transparency problems.

Reply 163 of 177, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originally posted by Glidos
Anyway, with any luck, v006b12 that I uploaded earlier today will fix lots of the transparency problems.

It does!! And the planes look gorgeous right now. 😀

But, I completely lost ingame sound!! 🙁 Shellsound is still ok.

[edit by Snover: dude, extraneous punctuation is extremely annoying. Stop it.]

Reply 164 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Originally posted by DeltaK It does!! And the planes look gorgeous right now. :) But, I completely lost ingame sound!! :( Shell […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by DeltaK
It does!! And the planes look gorgeous right now. 😀

But, I completely lost ingame sound!! 🙁 Shellsound is still ok.

WrapperPriority=2

😁

Reply 165 of 177, by Flybert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No , I specifically said that these .spl files have at their start , what looks to be a standard 2kb .pal file , then about 180kb of programming that apparently modifies the color depending on lighting effects .. for instance moving the color on a particular index towards grey to produce shading effects.

I'd think all graphics engines with paletted/indexed 256 8-bit textures use *some* algorithm to shift colors for shading .. and apparently this coding is in these .spl files in RBII/3D.

Not sure how sun glare is applied to the whole scene .. there is "solring.bmp" that uses the sky/cloud rb3dcld.pal in Glide , and the effect is probably coded in rb3dcld.spl , a 66kb file

Anyway , there are very few palettes the modelers need to worry about .. only one for objects .. texturers for Glide terrains have 3 stock to consider (Spring/Summer , Aurumn and Fall) , effects palettes (1 for Glide , one for DD) and a sky/clouds palette for Glide ..

Sorry if I'm not communicating clearly or being helpful , just seemed to be some palette issues regarding the transparencies.

Also.. with Glide effects (smoke , fire , explosions , clouds and the solar ring/lens flare ) ... the .bmp has the normal index #0 for transparency , and each .bmp has a same named and sized .aph file to create transulency.

Reply 169 of 177, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"It does. ALL the trasparency problems I was seeing are gone."

Same here! I've also noticed that the occurance of 'funky black tiles' has been greatly reduced. On one balloon busting mission I only saw 2 or 3 funky tiles after the balloon burst into flames. On another I saw no funky tiles at all.

Cheers!

Reply 170 of 177, by Thor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gents the latest incarnation of dll and opengl files I think the "grail" for me:)

Frame rates up or beyond my old VooDoo3 nearly = to DD about🆒

😕 Oddly the first mission was only 19 to 24 fps then after exit and update w/CM11 of my pilot. Then restart of SP with disk in. Rates a sweet 40+

The mystical black edges/squares have so far yet to appear in about 2 hours of campaign play.

Again I have removed sunglare.

My seeing eye flight dog Spike got a sore leg from lifting it in "S!" to all the trees - 🤣 yeah I know I shouldn't be flying at tree top all the time but Spike's leash is only so long and he needs to go a lot 🙄

Glidos you can expect another tribute from me sir sometime in the near future.

Hail Glidos! 😁

Thor

Reply 174 of 177, by Sir Alesi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cant believe it.. the F2 Problem is gone!!
You Guys a Crazy 😁
How did you done ..its Amazing. S! Majestros

I dont Understand Englisch good enough for these Technical Topics.. and if,, i sure wouldnt understand it too 😉
Did it Finally depends on that Palette -Stuff?

Can i do Something for you.. ?
I have no Creditcard,, so its not easy for me to give a few$..For that great Work.
..I Include you in My Prayers

😀

vogel2.gif cu...in THE SKY

Reply 175 of 177, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is getting very large, and is in danger of collapsing under its own weight; so we are going to close it soon.

I'm going to start up a new thread called "RB3D continued". If you want to get emails when messages are posted to that thread, then you need to go to it as you would to read the posts, and click the "subscribe to this thread" button at the bottom of the page.

Reply 176 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

This thread is getting very large, and is in danger of collapsing under its own weight; so we are going to close it soon.

I'm going to start up a new thread called "RB3D continued". If you want to get emails when messages are posted to that thread, then you need to go to it as you would to read the posts, and click the "subscribe to this thread" button at the bottom of the page.

10-4/Understood

Reply 177 of 177, by Sir Alesi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1 last Picture and Statement Please..
I tested all Version of the Wrapper in Order of Appearence 😀

And this 1 iss Absolut!
Frames are Stabil now,, And at 1024x768 i get mucho more than in ol`D3D,,
Cant believe it...
(Showing fps cost 30% of fps ,,like Mouse, ...No Kritik 😀 i only wanna say : without Frames - Alt+f i have nearly 35 fps,, I feel it in Forcefeedbackeffekt while-shooting,when Frames are more..

And D3D i get less than 20fps at this resolution..!!

Love it!!

neu9.jpg

vogel2.gif cu...in THE SKY