VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stroheim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been through the GlideOS site many times, and through this forum too. I've seen a lot of info and I've downloaded the latest version of GlideOS (1.48), plus the special version of DoxBox for GlideOS through the link at the GlideOS site. I've also downloaded the special TRandUbForGlideOS.exe installer, also through the link at the GlideOS site. What I haven't seen anywhere is what exact sequence to follow insofar as installation is concerned to make it all work together, i.e. which gets installed 1st, 2nd, and so on. I'm familiar with the dosbox.conf file from both Windows and Linux and I've usually been able to make that work, but are there any special or unusual settings necessary to make this version of it work with GlideOS as advertised?

I loved (and bought) GlideOS and had it running great on my old 32-bit Windows XP system. I even tried creating an XP virtual machine in this system using VirtualBox, just so I could hopefully get the software to work there, but no luck there either.

My current system has an nVidia GeForce 210 PCIe card (using latest nVidia 2.66.xx driver), standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 4GB of RAM, and runs Windows 7 x64 flawlessly other than this one issue.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited by stroheim on 2011-03-17, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by stroheim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I tried once again. I used the custom installer to install TR, then installed GlideOS v1.48, then installed the special version of Doxbox, invoking administrator rights for these last two steps.

Voila! That worked, but when the game got to the menu ring, it was spinning madly out of control. I do have an Xbox 360 controller hooked up, so I googled how to enable/disable a joystick in Dosbox. Had to add two lines to the dosbox.conf file in the GlideOS folder:

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

That did it. I got the JC custom high-res textures installed, and the MP3 audiopack (had to use administrator rights for this too) and it's working superbly. The only difference now between running this in 64-bit Win7 and 32-bit WinXP is that here full-screen doesn't work, but I can live with that.

Now if only the GlideOS server will let me have another unlock key, I'll be a happy camper.

Reply 3 of 4, by stroheim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just did email you and thanks! I'll be glad to pay again if it'll help. That's not an issue.

I also did sort out the fullscreen issue and am posting it here so that there is at least one complete record of what worked (for me, anyway). To get fullscreen to work, I had not only to check the Fullscreen option in the GlideOS Adjustments menu, but also to add the following in the [sdl] section of dosbox.conf. I reproduce that whole section of my dosbox.conf in its entirety here:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
output=surface

With those two changes to the installation steps I've described earlier, I have TR1 working perfectly, in fullscreen mode, using GlideOS and the specialized version of Dosbox, in Windows 7 64-bit.