VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by own3mall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the joystick problem when playing Tomb Raider 1 which makes the menu ring go round on its own. If I go to controls in Tomb Raider 1 and change anything, the game freezes. I have even unplugged my controller, launched Glidos, and have just tried to change the controls on my keyboard. Nothing works. I cannot change the controls or the game crashes.

Any idea why and what I should do? I can't use either of my controllers, as my Microsoft Sidewinder and my Playstation controller plugged up through my TrioLinkerPlus II Adapter run into the same problem.

I tried adding the following to my dosbox.conf in C:\Program Files (x86)\Glidos (I Found this Somewhere Online)

joysticktype=ch
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=true
buttonwrap=true

But nothing changed.

Also, does Glidos support custom resolutions such as 1920 x 1200? I'd love to run TR1 at my native resolution if possible.

Please let me know.

Reply 1 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, this may be a daft question, but is there any chance you have Glidos configured to use VDos32 rather than DOSBox. Obviously that cannot be the case if you are running on a 64bit OS, but just thought it was worth asking because I know that VDos32 freezes if you try to change the keys.

Reply 4 of 16, by own3mall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I can unplug the joystick, and it's no longer identified. However, with no joystick plugged in, I still can't change key mappings, because the game crashes as soon as I change any setting.

Are the controls stored in a config file somewhere that I could edit manually? Perhaps I should try setting up my controls using the latest DosBox and see if they carry over to version .73?

Does Glidos support 1920 x 1200?

Reply 5 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
own3mall wrote:

Yeah, I can unplug the joystick, and it's no longer identified. However, with no joystick plugged in, I still can't change key mappings, because the game crashes as soon as I change any setting.

That's odd. I just changed Run from PAD0 to T under user settings and it looks to have worked. Are you using the TR1 installation downloaded from the Glidos web site? Strange that we see a difference. Our set ups should be identical.

Are the controls stored in a config file somewhere that I could edit manually? Perhaps I should try setting up my controls using the latest DosBox and see if they carry over to version .73?

Worth a go. I was in any case thinking of rebuilding the Glidos version from the latest source.

Does Glidos support 1920 x 1200?

Yes and no. Glidos can work in a 1920 x 1200 mode producing two black bars at the edge. That what the "inhibit mode change" setting is for. But it's the games themselves that cannot fill other than a 4x3 area. There's nothing that Glidos can do about that.

Reply 6 of 16, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what has to be done to run it at a custom resolution apart from checking the "inhibit mode change"? Because even then, all the possible resolutions are: 640x480, 800x600, 1025x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. How can I make GliDOS render the game at 1400x1050 (4:3)?
My screen res. is 1680x1050 (16:10).

Reply 9 of 16, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, like own3mall, if I try to map the controls to my joypad from within the game menu, the game freezes. The menu rolls too...but you already know that, a DosBox issue. I'll try to find out how to solve it.

Reply 10 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

Ooo, my screen is 1680x1050 too. I'm tempted to add 1400x1050. Not trivial though, because it has to go though.

If you try to blow up a game written for a lower resolution, doesn't pixelation become an issue like blowing up a low resolution photograph on a much higher resolution monitor?

Reply 11 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pixelation isn't a problem because it isn't the frame buffer that is scaled; the coordinates are altered within the games 3D graphics rendering commands. With the TRX texture packs, you need the extra resolution to expose all the detail.

Reply 12 of 16, by sexyjw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had exactly the same issue. Try adding the following to the installed dosbox.conf file. Worked a treat for me.

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

Source: http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#Joystick

I then simply use my gamepad's programming mode (SST) to emulate DOS keys.

Cheers

JW

Reply 13 of 16, by aub84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sexyjw wrote:
I had exactly the same issue. Try adding the following to the installed dosbox.conf file. Worked a treat for me. […]
Show full quote

I had exactly the same issue. Try adding the following to the installed dosbox.conf file. Worked a treat for me.

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

What program? How it works?

Reply 15 of 16, by sexyjw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aub84 wrote:
sexyjw wrote:
I had exactly the same issue. Try adding the following to the installed dosbox.conf file. Worked a treat for me. […]
Show full quote

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

See the "New (to me) issues regarding Tomb Raider and GliDOS" thread. Famicom mentions xpadder.

Cheers

JW

Reply 16 of 16, by aub84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sexyjw wrote:
aub84 wrote:
sexyjw wrote:
Show full quote

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

See the "New (to me) issues regarding Tomb Raider and GliDOS" thread. Famicom mentions xpadder.

Yes, xpadder is the solution. Thanks!