VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by conrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is possibly a very dumb question but here goes:
I'm about to try Tombraider (1) using Glidos.
I have the original game CD and a full version of Glidos 1.49

My problem: It says nothing on the Glidos site about using DosBox in this mix, except to say it's needed for 64bit Windows systems.

Do I understand that all I need in my case is the TR1 CD and Glidos?

Or is it so obvious that I also need DosBox that the Glidos guy has forgot to mention it?

Here's his site link:
http://www.glidos.net/install.html?lang=en

Thanks 😕

XP Pro SP3 32bit
CPU Sempron 3.3ghz
RAM 2GB

Reply 1 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As you suspect, you need nothing other than Glidos and your game cd.

Just to explain, the games that Glidos supports are DOS-based. They need a DOS environment in which to run. Windows XP 32bit has a built in DOS environment that works fairly well. 32bit Vista's DOS environement is not so good, but a program called VDos32 is distributed with Glidos, and that will provide a DOS envirobment that works under Vista. 64bit versions of Windows have no DOS environment. Nor will VDos32 run under 64bit Windows. DOSBox on the other hand provides a DOS environement that will work on all versions of Windows (and some other OSes).

If you do ever need to run Glidos in 64bit mode, you must use the special version of DOSBox from the Glidos site.

Reply 2 of 2, by conrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glidos, thank you. Your answer is clear and succinct. It contains exactly the right amount of information to explain without confusion.
Much appreciated. 😀