VOGONS

Common searches

VDOS32 Error

Topic actions

First post, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I set up VDOS32, then selected it in GLIDOS. I tried to run Carmageddon, but I get this error:
Failed to open file: "C:\GAMES\CARMA\3DFX.EXE" --set "PATH=C:\Program Files\Glidos"
Do you know what to do? This is getting quite frustrating.

Reply 4 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The clue is in this bit of my previous post That includes the latest version of VDos32. You just need to install the latest version of Glidos and use the version of VDos32 that comes with it (which is v1.10). The VDos32 site is well out of date.

Reply 5 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I reinstalled Glidos and got the newest VDos32, but when I start CARMAV.EXE, Glide Server opens up and shows a black screen (White if it leaves the moniter screen), nothing happens. I tried to use CARMA.EXE And 3DFX.EXE as the executable, and what happened was in the VDOS32 Text Box, it says either enter password for uncut or gore mode (respectively). I cannot enter the password in the VDOS32 Text Box, because you cannot write in there.

Reply 6 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange. CARMAV.EXE is definitely the correct choice. You might want to try installing either 3DfxCarm.zip or carv24rw.zip. One of them installs a program called VOODO2C.EXE, which might work better. Can't remember what the other one installs, but hopefully you'll notice as it does so. You wont need both. Either one will do.

Reply 7 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit: If it helps, my game is Carmageddon: Max Pack.

The programs didn't install anything like VOODO2C.EXE. Do I have to use 3DfxCarm.EXE as a standalone executable to install it, and not use it in Glidos at first? Because If I double click on 3DfxCarm.EXE, a windows pops up and says:
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\intrplay\Carma\3DfxCarm.exe
This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

If I use 3DfxCarm.EXE as the Glidos executable, it says "Not an LE Format File". If I try the carv24rw.zip version of CARMAV.EXE and the supporting files, The same white/black screen still appears, and nothing happens.

Reply 8 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea what's going wrong. Are there any messages in the VDos32 dialog? Have you tried swapping Glidos between OpenGL and DirectX? Have you tried downloading the special version of DOSBox and selecting the DOSBox option in Glidos?

Reply 9 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I switched from Direct3D to OpenGL, and the Carmageddon Main Menu (New Game, Load Game) popped up in the Main Glide Server box! 😁 The problem is that I'm not able to select anything in the main menu, the screen keeps slightly flashing randomly, and the windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen has disappeared, forcing me to restart explorer.exe.

Reply 10 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weirder and weirder. Very strange that Direct3D would fail and OpenGL not. And also Glidos does nothing to the taskbar (unless running in fullscreen mode, where it will of course hide it, but then the windows key would make it return).

If not in fullscreen mode, you could try swapping to it.

Reply 11 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it seems I finally got it to work, somewhat. After attacking this problem from every angle to no avail, I DL'd the Special 64-bit version of DOSBox, I selected it in the emulation tab, and it worked, which is strange considering that I have a 32-bit Win7. But there is no sound. I probably neglected to download something along the way, so i'm going to try to figure that out now.

Reply 12 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah good. It isn't surprising that the DOSBox mode worked, just surprising that VDos32 didn't.

There's nothing to download to get the sound working. It is probably the configuration of the game that's wrong. (In fact that could well be what stopped VDos32 working). Somehow you need to run SNDSETUP.EXE. You could try that in VDos32 or DOSBox. For VDos32, you could start it directly without Glidos.

Reply 13 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One last problem. I don't have the CD with me anymore, so I just have the files. Everytime I start Carmageddon (New Game), it says "please insert Carmageddon CD". Sound on the main menu works fine.

Edit: Oops, I fiddled around and now instead of opening up the game first, DOSBOX now says "please insert the Carmageddon CD" instead of the main menu.

Reply 14 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two thoughts. The two downloads I refered you to before, install versions that don't require the cd - although the fact that you tried them before and didn't see a file called VOODO2C.EXE may mean that won't work for you.

Another possibility is to go to the "Executable" tab in Glidos config and add a path to a randomly chosen file from the cd in "Path to cd check file". Leave off the initial I:\\ part of the path. Look at the Tombraider config for an example usage. Glidos will look for a file with that path on each of your drives and then mount the one where it finds it.

Reply 16 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That means Glidos couldn't find a file with that path within any cd drive, so you must have gotten the path wrong. Any file on the cd will do, but you do need to write its path accurately, without the drive letter or initial backslashes.

Reply 17 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I put a path to a Carmageddon file in the (I/) drive and left off the I:\, Put now it's telling me there is nothing in the "H" drive. I don't even have an "H" drive, that I know of.

Reply 18 of 20, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really need to simplify all this don't I?! 😖

That message you are getting now was put in because TR1 would crash if there was an empty drive with a lower letter than the one with the CD in. That doesn't happen in DOSBox mode, so I should get rid of the test. I'll try to look into that soon, but for now, can you remap your drive letters?

Reply 19 of 20, by crow41798

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if I how, or if I even can remap my drive letters. I apologize if I am not able to understand things here, like I said earlier, I have no experience with DOS, and or Glidos. All the Carmageddon: Max Pack files are in two places: The CD Drive I, and in the installation folder. I do not have the physical CD with me, but I do have all the files on the CD Drive. I installed Carmageddon from the CD Drive into the installation folder via DOSBOX.