VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I've just noticed a couple of issues while re-trying Tomb Raider on GliDOS v1.49 with DOSBoxForGlidos_1_1:

-There are thin white lines forming a grid on the ground, like marking polygons' edges in some places and on Lara's head, sometimes.

-Sound is delayed a quarter of a second or so. It's specially noticeable when Lara draws her weapons, shoot, stop walking, etc.

Do you guys know how I can solve any of these issues?
By the way, is there a way to make TR look more like the psx version in terms of contrast, colour saturation...apart from the gamma option within Glidos?

Thanks.

Oh, my specs:
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Intel Core2Duo E6600
3GB RAM DDR2@800MHz
Chipset nForce 680i SLI
GPU Nvidia GTX260OC
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Last edited by Famicom on 2011-06-28, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of the texture packs have more saturated colours. Not sure of the white lines. Haven't seen that in a very long time. You could try toggling F3 and F4, see if it changes anything. Can't think of anything for the audio lag.

Reply 2 of 13, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer.
I've installed the latest nvidia drivers for my GPU and I've noticed some improvement: Those white lines are almost gone. They were quite thin already, but now they're really difficult to spot, so I guess that won't be a problem anymore.

The sound is still a bit delayed, like in this video I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXVNkucusY
It's almost unnoticeable until she starts shooting the bats and then keeps her guns at 0:46. I've seen other videos where such sound lag doesn't exist, so I don't know what to think.

I just wanted to point out some other things I've found these days:

- When executing the game via Direct3D (psVoodoo), I've found a huge lag when trying to enter the ingame menu. That's some seconds of lag, but when I selected 16bit Colour, the lag is reduced considerably, not completely though, and besides, using 16bit Colour is not the solution...graphics look worse. Is there a way to get rid of it while using psVoodoo? I want to use it because OpenGlide makes pickups visible through ledges and stuff, which is kind of weird (and normal??)

- I'm using a joypad mapped with Xpadder. Everytime I run the game, the menu's rolling like crazy until I press all directions on the D-pad. Even then, it still rolls aleatory sometimes, and even Lara moves towards any direction for a sec -usually forward- right after loading a savegame.

- When I load a savegame, all the sound triggers are reset, so for example: Lost Valley-> I save my game after killing the T-Rex. If I load the savegame and go back to the entrance of the valley, the T-Rex music starts playing again as soon as I reach the trigger by the broken bridge. Is this normal on the pc version? It didn't happen on the psx, that's for sure.The saving system was different, though.

And I think that's all for the moment 😅 😅 😊

Reply 3 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Famicom wrote:

The sound is still a bit delayed, like in this video I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXVNkucusY
It's almost unnoticeable until she starts shooting the bats and then keeps her guns at 0:46. I've seen other videos where such sound lag doesn't exist, so I don't know what to think.

It's DOSBox that's handling the sound. I'm not sure there's any way around it. I'm intentending to rebuild the Glidos-specific version from latest source sometime. That may help, but probably not. Also, there may possibly be DOSBox configuration options that are worth playing with. Could ask in the DOSBox forum.

I just wanted to point out some other things I've found these days:

- When executing the game via Direct3D (psVoodoo), I've found a huge lag when trying to enter the ingame menu. That's some seconds of lag, but when I selected 16bit Colour, the lag is reduced considerably, not completely though, and besides, using 16bit Colour is not the solution...graphics look worse. Is there a way to get rid of it while using psVoodoo? I want to use it because OpenGlide makes pickups visible through ledges and stuff, which is kind of weird (and normal??)

The huge lag is something that has appeared with some of the latest nVidia driver versions. I have yet to discover the cause. One thing possibly worth trying is making sure all antialiasing is turned off. I've only just thought of that so haven't tried it myself yet.

- I'm using a joypad mapped with Xpadder. Everytime I run the game, the menu's rolling like crazy until I press all directions on the D-pad. Even then, it still rolls aleatory sometimes, and even Lara moves towards any direction for a sec -usually forward- right after loading a savegame.

That's another thing handled by DOSBox. It may be that DOSBox is trying to handle the joypad directly. There may be a way to turn that off in DOSBox config. Not sure.

- When I load a savegame, all the sound triggers are reset, so for example: Lost Valley-> I save my game after killing the T-Rex. If I load the savegame and go back to the entrance of the valley, the T-Rex music starts playing again as soon as I reach the trigger by the broken bridge. Is this normal on the pc version? It didn't happen on the psx, that's for sure.The saving system was different, though.

That's just what TR1 does. Certainly no way around that one.

Reply 4 of 13, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answers once again 😀

The huge lag is something that has appeared with some of the latest nVidia driver versions.

Before updating my GPU drivers I was using a really old version (like 1-2 years old), and the problem was already there. The reason for using such outdated drivers was playing TR:Anniversary with Lara's shadow -otherwise it wouldn't be shown-.

One thing possibly worth trying is making sure all antialiasing is turned off. I've only just thought of that so haven't tried it myself yet.

I've already tried that (all 4 antialiasing options within the nvidia control panel were switched off). Didn't work.

I'll ask in DosBox forums about the sound lag and the controller. If I get any solutions I'll post them here.

Thank you!

Reply 5 of 13, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already got an answer:

I don't know who built that version but if GliDOS has it for download he should know, and also should know why it's 0.73 and not 0.74.

Use ykhwong's SVN build instead: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/xe/dosbox_data/143.

(The link doesn't work, but I've found another: http://www.emucr.com/2011/04/ykhwongs-dosbox- … d-04042011.html
The only problem is I don't know if it is any use or not)

As you can see, asking them didn't help. Any ideas?

Reply 6 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You wont be able to use any other build with Glidos. You need a version with my changes in. I'll try to make it soon that I get around to putting my changes into the latest version. I was more in hope that the DOSBox experts would know of config settings that might cut down lag.

Reply 7 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the configuration file of dosbox is full with comments on the various settings.
You have to experiment with those under the [mixer] heading.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That is primary the reason why we weren't really helpful.
We don't know that either. I don't know how Glidos has setup dosbox and how he starts dosbox and tr within dosbox. Either by command line parameters or by making a custom configfile.... I don't know.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 13, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, sorry, in some ways the way it is set up isn't ideal. It's definitely good advice to play with the config options, but one problem is that the config file I distribute has just settings and no commented parts. I'll change that in the next release. The dosbox config file is in the main Glidos folder. You can mess with it, but you'll need to find a copy with the comments in so that you know what the options are.

Reply 11 of 13, by Famicom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found the solution to this. I'll post it here just in case someone has the same problem of rolling menus and random Lara movements (usually run in circles ccw or random steps which can make her fall or die at any time. They happened to me when loading a savegame). So here it is:

- Open "dosbox.conf" with notepad. You can find this file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Glidos".

- Add this under the last line:

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

- Save and exit.

Done. Now you can map your gamepad buttons with xpadder or some other similar application and you are ready to go.