Common searches

First post, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: Dell OWG261 - Processor: 3.00 GH Intel Pentium 4
Ram: 4 GH DIMM - Video: Radeon X600 256MB
Sound Board: Integrated 7.1 channel - OS: Windows Media Edition 2005
Games: TombRaider (DOS/Win95) and Unfinished Business (Win95)

There are two problems: (1) Although there is music, there are no personal sounds, such as Laura's gun. (2) The game freezes periodically, it appears while using look. When this happens I have to use CTRL/ALT/DEL to get out of the game.

Installed the TombRaiderAudio, so am using Use Audio Pack. Video mode is Open GL with 1024x768 emulation.

Changing video emulation causes game to not open at all.
Changing to Control CD has no audio effect.

Reply 2 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Deleteted the TombRaid folder, and downloaded/installed the TR/UB file. First couple of times TR would not open. It would get as far as the start menu -- the choices would spin to the right, but nothing would open. Used CTRL/ALT/DEL to quit, which gives a VDOS32 Read Error list. Shut computer down, restart, try again. Game opened. Music and secret found chimes play, but still no gun sounds. I've played up several levels, but have not gotten any freezes yet. Side Note: Noticed that although I have chosen 1024x768 resolution, when I shut down the game the Glide Server shows a list that indicates resolution is:
Number of aux buffers = 1
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
Number of color buffers = 2
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
GlideShutdown

Reply 3 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Susan wrote:

Deleteted the TombRaid folder, and downloaded/installed the TR/UB file. First couple of times TR would not open. It would get as far as the start menu -- the choices would spin to the right, but nothing would open.

Very strange to get different results on different occasions. Something odd is going on. I have in the past seen a problem where ENTER has no effect until the first mouse click. I think that can happen only in OpenGL mode. Swapping to Direct3D may help.

Used CTRL/ALT/DEL to quit, which gives a VDOS32 Read Error list.

The error from VDOS32 is normal and harmless and happens in the case where the Glidos app is killed.

Shut computer down, restart, try again.

Should be no need to shutdown and restart.

Game opened. Music and secret found chimes play, but still no gun sounds. I've played up several levels, but have not gotten any freezes yet.

Still no gun sounds?! How on earth?! A thing to try is start VDos32.exe directly (It's in the Glidos folder). From it's dialog box, click "Load Program" and load The file SETUP.EXE from the C:\TOMBRAID folder. It'll pause for a while before starting. Then use that to automatically detect sound card (it will find a Soundblaster). And then save. Close VDos32 and then try TR from Glidos again.

Side Note: Noticed that although I have chosen 1024x768 resolution, when I shut down the game the Glide Server shows a list that […]
Show full quote

Side Note: Noticed that although I have chosen 1024x768 resolution, when I shut down the game the Glide Server shows a list that indicates resolution is:
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
GlideShutdown

All normal. The game is still running in 640x480 mode, but Glidos can scale the Glide graphics calls to higher resolution.

Reply 4 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sound was already set to Sound Blaster. I chose auto select and it chose a Roland Rap-10. When TR opened at main screen, it froze and nothing would open. I used CTRL/ALT/DEL to close it and got a VDOS32 popup entitled Unimplemented Out336h.
Went back to Setup and chose SoundBlaster Pro. Same result.
Went back to Setup and chose SoundBlaster 16/AWE32. Same result.
Went back to Setup and chose SoundBlaster. Game opens and plays, but same problem. The background music plays, and the secret found tone plays, but that's all. Example: In the Lost Valley, I could tell the Tyranasaurus was coming by the screen shaking, but could not hear it. Weird.

Reply 5 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just noticed something. When I close TR down, both the Glidos Server and VDOS32 boxes appear. The VDOS32 box has this message:

VDos32 v0.10 Copyright © Paul Gardiner 2006-2011. All rights reserved.

Setting: PATH=C:\Program Files\Glidos
Starting program: C:\Tombraid\Tomb.exe...
Warning: attempt to free unknown block 0x01589058

Tomb Raider (c) Core Design. Jun 01 1997 10:07:02
Unofficial Audio Patch 1.10. Oct 30 2007

Program terminated successfully

Reply 6 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that's all good. The warning is VDos32 detecting a bug in Tombraider, but not a problematic one. Besides the silence, everything appears to be working correctly. A few things to try:

Start Tombraider in windowed mode, and then open your systems advanced audio control (not sure quite where that will be in W ME 2005). Try altering any sliders that are at 0, or mutted.

Start Tombraider. From the ring menu, select the "headphones and tape". Cheack that both setting are at 10.

Download and install the latest version of DirectX from here.

Find the download site for you motherboard on the manufacturer's web site, and install the latest drivers for the integrated audio. (To be honest that's unlikely to help unless you are seeing problems with other apps).

Reply 7 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that fails, then try installing the special version of DOSBox, available from here (See the section on 64bit windows - note that it works for 32bit as well). Then confgure Glidos to use DOSBox rather than VDos32 (the setting is under the Dos tab).

This is highly likely to work. I didn't sugggest it before because it shouldn't be necessary.

Reply 8 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I opened my Windows sound and nothing is checked muted. In TR both music and sound are set to 10. I tried downloading the update to DirectX 9.0c (DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer), but keep getting "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid." There is no difinitive fix for this on the web, although I have tried most of the suggestions. There is another Microsoft program called DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) -- a much larger file -- http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details. … lang=en&id=8109. It is the same version and publish date as the other download, but I am hesitant to install it because it cannot be uninstalled and I'm not sure what it would do.

I checked, and my integrated audio has the latest driver (2006), and since my system is 5 years old, this is as updated as it's going to get.

I have been using Dosbox for several years for other programs. My Windows XP is 32bit. Do I need the special version?

Reply 9 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry you are having such difficulties. I've never seen this one before (well not with VDos32 and using the preconfigured archive). Hopefully DOSBox will sort it out. You don't need a special version of DOSBox for 32bit, but you do need a special version to run with Glidos. You need this one, and then you need to set Glidos to use DOSBox rather than VDos32.

Reply 10 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosbox did the trick. Laura's personal sounds are back in both TR and UB. Also, the games seem to move more smoothly, and there is no hesitation or lockup when using the look feature.

I appreciate your taking the long route in trying to fix the problem, as I have learned more about my computer in the journey. You have again proved to be the best in technical support for a product you created. Thank you for your patience, and for keeping these games alive.

Reply 11 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great news. Thanks for being so patient. Still very odd that VDos32 should play up. It should be smoother than DOSBox if anything because mainly it exectutes the game's instructions directly on the CPU, rather than emulating them. Something with th audio set up must have been giving it a hard time.

Reply 13 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one last puzzle to add. I downloaded and installed the FMV Pack and enabled it. At the end of Sanctuary of the Scion there is a movie clip, but it didn't play -- just went to the next level. Curious, I disabled it. This time the move clip started to play, and then the sound went almost completely to static. Everything was jerky too. So I decided to skip the movie and renabled the FMV pack. Not to worry -- I don't need the movies. Just thought you might like to know.

Reply 14 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Drat. I thought I was through. Now there's a whole new problem. I decided to play Quake II. As it opened, Lara and Natla are talking from the movie at the end of Atlantis. As the game continued, they continued to talk. I exited the game, shut down my computer and restarted. Same thing. So I opened Quake Jugernaut. The Natla/Lara TR audio is playing there too. I open Quake The Reckoning. Lara's speech in Tihocan's Tomb is playing. None of these games require DOSbox. What's really strange is that none of these games are on the same hard drive. TR/UB is on my C: drive; all other games are on my D: hard drive. Should I be addressing this issue in the DOSbox General forum?

Reply 16 of 32, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the Sanctuary of the Scion FMV: do any of the FMV's play when you use the FMV pack? Since adding that feature, I haven't played the through that part of the game, so I'm wondering if it's just that FMV.

The sound going to static when "Use FMV pack" was unchecked is very odd. I guess it could be DOSBox struggling to keep up. Or, with the problems you've already had with VDos32, I wonder if it's a problem with your sound card.

Reply 17 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Live and learn. I completely forgot that the games would do that. Thank you for reminding me.

I'll check out the movie at the end of the next (Atlantis) level, and let you know if I get the same result.

Reply 19 of 32, by Susan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the end of the Atlantis level the movie played with no sound or video problems. I went back and loaded the end of Sanctuary of the Scion. No movie played -- the game just went directly to the next level. I tried it twice with the same results. May be a defect in that level.