VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 31, by Ghaleon4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BUMP!!!!!

Hey, Glidos!
Have you gotten any further on how to run Descent the way it was "never meant to be played"???
hehe

The only time I've ever felt truly alone, was when I looked at myself in the mirror.

Reply 22 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hadn't thought there was anything worth doing. It's a Windows executable so it isn't Glidos that you need. Its just the OpenGLide bit (GLide2x.dll). Craig made it work.

On the other hand D1X works really well, so that's probably the best way to play it.

Reply 23 of 31, by Ghaleon4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...I'm sad.
I couldn't get d1x to work.
It drops out upon execution with an error that it can't create Video Device.

Any ideas?
I think I might be confused with which version of Descent, and/or D1X I need.

The only time I've ever felt truly alone, was when I looked at myself in the mirror.

Reply 25 of 31, by Ghaleon4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, definitely...

Specs:
GeForce Ti4400 128Meg
512Megs of Ram
AMD Athlon XP +1700 (2.1Ghz)
Windows XP Pro SP1
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy /w Audigy 2 drivers

Counter-strike, among other things runs just fine in OpenGL.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps if I could get "dummy" instructions on exactly which version of Descent to patch to...HOW exactly I should patch, and exactly which build of D1X I should get off the website?

Thanks

Reply 29 of 31, by DonaldW

User metadata

Folks,

I hope you can help. I have a commerical copy of Descent I. I played it many years ago and would love to play it again. It runs fine on my Windows 2000 and Windows Me machines but there is no sound. I have tried playing with VDMSound with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Donald

Reply 31 of 31, by lemming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's my understanding that there is a build of D1X newer than the 1.43 that was released--supposedly the latest CVS solves a few bugs.

The sourcefiles are available here: http://www.icculus.org/d2x/ more specifically here: http://www.icculus.org/d2x/src/d1x-20030225.tar.gz

I really want to see what bugs this fixes, but I suck at the compiler setup. 🙁

edit: If anyone manages to successfully compile it, can you please send me a Win32/OpenGL binary?