VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thanny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been some time since I last used Glidos to run TR1, and just gave it a try again, after downloading the latest version. I'm not certain, but I may have been running XP last time, while I'm now running 64-bit Windows 7.

While the cut scene videos (from the downloaded FMV pack) are incredibly choppy, the game does run. But it only works in a window, or with centered timings. That is, using Direct3D, full screen only works with mode change inhibited, which centers the TR screen in the middle of my monitor. A 1600x1200 box in the middle of a 2560x1600 screen is a bit small. Using OpenGL, it behaves the same as Direct3D with mode change inhibited.

Without that box checked, the screen resolution changes and the game runs, but the screen is black. I can hear the menu wheel moving from the sound effects, so it's not as if the game has crashed.

So what I'm looking for is the possibility that the mode change can be fixed, or that the maximum resolution can be increased. If 2048x1536 were added to the list, it would be a close enough fit that genuine full screen wouldn't be necessary.

Reply 1 of 2, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes 2048x1536 would make sense. I'll put that in when I have some time. I know of the black screen with "Inhibit mode change" deselected. It happens only if you are using the FMV pack. I haven't been able to identify why as yet.

The strange one is the FMVs being choppy. It's just Windows playing them via DirectShow. I assume you have the Windows Essentials codec pack installed.

Reply 2 of 2, by Thanny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had K-lite installed, so the decoder being used was ffmpeg, and it was choppy even in MPC. I uninstalled K-lite, and they now play normally.

I also tried disabling the FMV pack, but the effect was the same black screen without the mode change inhibited.