VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Templar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I had Elder Scrolls: Redguard running with Glidos for years on my WinXP machine without problems.
I now installed it to my Vista machine (as expected sound hardware was not recognized during installation).

I installed Glidos 1.53 and then DOSBox for Glidos 1.1.

Problem: I can't get into Redguard, I can only see the start screen of the game.

Steps taken:
- directed Glidos to RGFX.EXE im install folder in Glidos settings "Adjust", "Executable"
- selected DOSbox as "Dos Emulation"
- changed resolution to 1600x1200
- (Full Screen is disabled)
- play disc is in install drive
- tried to change the sound settings as suggested here:
Redguard on Vista x64 (Audio Question)
- read through the instructions for Redguard at the official website

Not sure if I have to tick additional settings for Redguard in the Glidos program?
Also not sure, if I have to choose OpenGL or Direct3D? (but it doesn't change anything in regards to the problem)

When I start the game through the Glidos launcher, DOSbox window appears... and then the start screen of the game, but that is where it ends.

When I right click & close the Glide Server window, it then says "Read failed: 0" with OpenGL or "Read failed: 996" with Direct3D.

------------------
System Information
------------------

Motherboard: Asus P5Q DELUXE
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM DDR2-1000
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
Video board: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 1024MB GDDR5
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Standard Resolution: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit)

Last edited by Templar on 2013-04-11, 13:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm! I'm seeing problems too 😖 , although perhaps different to yours. I get the initial Redguard screen, and then in the bottom, righthand corner, I see messages saying about loading levels. Then it seems to get stuck on loading sound. Not sure what's going on there. I'll need to investigate.

In your case, it sounds like you don't even get the messages in the bottom, righthand corner. If so, then Redguard's sound configuration sounds like the most likely cause. From your description, you've done all the right things.

Reply 2 of 7, by Templar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly, I don't even see the messages in the corner...

I could access the sound settings through Glidos as you had suggested in the thread mentioned above.

I hope you'll find a solution!

Thank you!

Reply 3 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found it I think.

The first thing is that with Glidos 1.53, DOSBox is included in the installation, so you don't want to install DOSBOX for Glidos 1.1 over the top of it. I'd suggest you delete Glidos completely and then reintall it.

Secondly you should replace the file Glidos\DOSBox\dosbox-0.73.conf with the file attached to this post.

You didn't mention whether your Windows Vista was 32bit or 64bit. If it's 32bit then select VDos32 as your DOS emulation: it's much faster. Otherwise
you'll have to stick with DOSBox, which means big delays at load screens, but the game will play well once you get into it.

Hope that sorts it for you.

Reply 4 of 7, by Templar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

There is no file attached to your post though... 😉

I have Vista 64bit.

I deleted the old installation of Glidos and installed the latest version 1.53b.

(maybe not important, I started Redguard anyway, without your conf file, Glidos this time came back with this error message:
Error: Gu3dfGetInfo called
)

Reply 5 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm always doing that. Here's attempt 2.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.73.conf
    File size
    80 Bytes
    Downloads
    188 downloads
    File comment
    Replacement DOSBox conf file to make Redguard and D2 work
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Templar wrote:

(maybe not important, I started Redguard anyway, without your conf file, Glidos this time came back with this error message:
Error: Gu3dfGetInfo called
)

Hmmm. I don't get that here. You have Glidos set up to run RGFX.EXE, right?

Reply 7 of 7, by Templar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Glidos points to RGFX.EXE in the installation directory of Redguard.

What's the difference between the conf file you posted here and the one from the 1.53b installation? (seems to be exactly the same)

I get this error now every time I try to start Redguard.

The load screen of Redguard comes up, I still cannot see the load messages that you described yesterday, then a new screen loads (the one with the dark-skinned woman on the left) and then either this error message appears or Glidos crashes completely.

I tried the following things:
- different combinations of sound/music, incl. no sound/no music (accessed the setsound.exe through Glidos)
- OpenGL or Direct3D in Glidos
- different resolutions

Is there anything else in the Glidos settings that I could try?

Thanks for your support!