User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My System Specs:
iMac (2011 Model)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M, 512 MB graphics

I'm not entirely sure if someone has attempted before, but I've gotten my Steam version of Tomb Raider 1 running within Glidos, which is in turn within a Windows XP Wineskin (Inception much?). I figure, why settle for the Mac version when you can go big with enhanced graphics/music?

Anyway, I got it working... somewhat. However, I have come across a few issues that I can't quite figure out. I'll start with what works specifically: The game launches, cutscenes work, title screen works, and sound works. Starting a new game works, and gameplay works.

My GliDOS configuration is a DOSBox/Voodoo combo, at 800x600.

Now on to the oddities:

1. There seems to be a small (< .5 sec) delay for any sound effects.
2. There is a performance hit whenever I go into a larger area in-game. Slowdown becomes very noticeable.

Major problems include:

1. The game only works in Voodoo mode. When I switch to OpenGL, I get a white screen where the title screen should be. There is no sound, either.

2. The Windows Essentials Codec Pack refuses to install within Wine. For the record, attempting an install on my Windows XP bootcamp works just fine. The original cutscenes work just fine, but I would prefer the enhanced ones.

So, with all of that out of the way, can anyone help me get OpenGL mode working? I suspect that VooDoo mode is more CPU-intensive. Also, is there an alternate way to install the Windows Essentials Codec Pack? Can anyone tell me why it may be crashing in Wine?

In closing, I really like GliDOS for its simplicity, and its restoration of the lost PSX features (except for the save crystals; those are lame) . I will gladly pay the fee if I can get it working to full potential.

Reply 1 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's this that may be helpful: http://www.users.on.net/~macraider/tombraider … s_new_macs.html.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by swapping between Voodoo and OpenGl. If the GOG version of TR provides an OpenGL option, then it will be by using some sort of Voodoo-to-OpenGL wrapper, like Glidos. The TR game itself does not support OpenGL. If it did, there would be no need for Glidos.

Reply 4 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You surely mean OpenGlide and psVoodoo?

If the OpenGlide wrapper doesn't work under Wine, I don't think there's much you can do about it. Maybe have a look at the OpenGLid.log file and toy around with the OpenGLid.ini options.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 5 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah. Those are the ones.

I'm just going to give OpenGlide a rest, and focus on getting performance under psVoodoo optimized. As I've said, it works, it's just slow. Is there anything I can do to increase the performance? It's only really sluggish when I run into a larger area.

Reply 6 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course, I should have realised you meant OpenGlide amd psVoodoo. I think you will have to use OpenGlide because psVoodoo requires Direct3D which I imagine isn't supported on Macs.

I thought there was a way to make OpenGLide use 16bit frame buffers. That might speed it up, but I can't find the setting, and I don't seem to be able to chech out a copy either at the moment.

Reply 7 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem. It was my bad.

Hmm, if Direct3d in psVoodoo isn't supported on Macs, that solves that mystery. That means that when I run the game in that video mode, it's emulating it within Wine, hence the slowdown.

If I need to get the game working in OpenGlide mode, I'm not really sure what I can do. I've tested it that way now on two different computers, and there's still a blank, soundless white screen in place of the title screen. The game doesn't crash or anything, though.

I don't know if this issue has anything to do with the Dos Emulation settings within GliDOS' preferences, but DosBox mode was the only one that worked for me at all.

Reply 8 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you need to untangle everything a bit 😉
Psvoodoo works for me in combination with Wine and Ultima 9 in glide mode.
The question is what are you running TR on? Glidos or Dosbox etc.
Maybe everything is clear to Glidos (a bit unfortunate usernsme when speaking about Glidos and Glidos 😉) but to me it isn't anymore since everything gets mentioned 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I can tell you is, I own the Steam Version of Tomb Raider. When I run it within Steam (without GliDOS), it uses DosBox.

Regarding psVoodoo, what is Ultima 9? And, do you get any slowdown at all when you play the game? I sincerely doubt my mac's specs aren't up to snuff for playing a game from 1996 at 800 x 600 resolution, enhanced textures or no.

Reply 10 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh right! It's psVoodoo that is working, not OpenGLide. I'd gotten confused that it was the other way around.

Have you tried, under the Display tab, checking the box that says "16bit colour"?

Reply 14 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:
I think you need to untangle everything a bit ;) Psvoodoo works for me in combination with Wine and Ultima 9 in glide mode. The […]
Show full quote

I think you need to untangle everything a bit 😉
Psvoodoo works for me in combination with Wine and Ultima 9 in glide mode.
The question is what are you running TR on? Glidos or Dosbox etc.
Maybe everything is clear to Glidos (a bit unfortunate usernsme when speaking about Glidos and Glidos 😉) but to me it isn't anymore since everything gets mentioned 😉

Mostly these days, running TR under Glidos means having the game use DOSBox as emulator. There's a special build of DOSBox that can communicate with Glidos. What version of DOSBox do you use? Is it built for Windows and running under Wine, or is it built specifically for Mac OS?

Reply 15 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If I read the title correctly, Wine 😀
There is a Glide enabled DOSbox built at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7801769/D … 20OSX_Intel.dmg (see Re: Mac OS X DOSBox game wrapper with 3Dfx Glide support (Intel 10.5 & 10.6)) Unfortunately based on DOSBox 0.73. When I feel like it I may do a 0.74 or SVN built of this 😀

Most likely crashes on Lion+ML when you go fullscreen 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, small world. I'm actually coming from the same site thedoctor45 is from... portingteam.com. Unfortunately, the Doc said that he had troubles getting GliDOS to work, and frankly, he's the master at this stuff.

Regardless, I want to keep fiddling with this until I can get it to work. I'll post the results I get with this wrapper as soon as I can.

Reply 17 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The slow down is perhaps not too surprising. Supposedly, Mac OS doesn't support DirectX natively, so you have two levels of emulation for the graphics, first psVoodoo translate Glide to DirectX, and then Wine translates DirectX to whatever Mac OS uses for graphics (I would have thought OpenGL).

At the same time you have the instructions of the game not being executed directly by the processor, and instead each being emulated by DOSBox which has to be an order of magnitude slower.

Reply 18 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, so I have no choice except to get Tomb Raider running in OpenGlide; well, worse things have happened.

I may have a lead on why I'm just getting a white screen when I run the game in OpenGlide mode: Apparently it has to do with VRam. Does this sound right? If so, I can fiddle with Wine to trick the windows applications it runs into thinking I have any amount of VRam I choose.