VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SAHunterMech wrote:

Not to sound dense, but can you tell me where the OpenGlide log file is?

It shouild appear in the Glidos folder and be called OpenGLid.log. Same place as psVoodoo.log.

On modern windows system, it ends up in Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Glidos, but that's because the operating system redirects it, which shouldn't happen with Wine under Mac OS, I'd have thought.

Reply 24 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For what it's worth I'm confused as to why you're attempting this, SAHunterMech. You want the extra features GliDOS provides? (texture replacement/additional CD tracks/etc.)

Because if not, you should simply use a Glide-enabled compile of DOSBox for MacOS with your favorite OpenGL Glide wrapper (probably OpenGlide, but there's one or two others IIRC.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allow me to clear up the confusion...

I already have the game working in a simple 3dfx Glide DOSBox Wrapper, made by thedoctor45. But I most certainly want to get the extra features only available in GliDOS, with the music being my top priority (It's absolutely stupid how it isn't in the PC/DOS version).

What I hope is that since the Doc already got Tomb Raider running in OpenGlide in his wrapper, so can I.

Reply 26 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SAHunterMech wrote:

Allow me to clear up the confusion...

I already have the game working in a simple 3dfx Glide DOSBox Wrapper, made by thedoctor45. But I most certainly want to get the extra features only available in GliDOS, with the music being my top priority (It's absolutely stupid how it isn't in the PC/DOS version).

What I hope is that since the Doc already got Tomb Raider running in OpenGlide in his wrapper, so can I.

Fair enough! 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've made some progress with this thing. I've managed to boost performance a little under psVoodoo, with the following WineTricks:

set DirectDraw renderer to OpenGL
set ORM to backbuffer

Right now, I have a few questions...

What is the best version of DirectX to use with GliDOS?
What is the best version of Windows to use with GliDOS (I can change it to any version within Wine)?

Is there any way to run the functions of GliDOS directly within DOSBox (without GliDOS)?

Reply 28 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SAHunterMech wrote:

Well, I've made some progress with this thing. I've managed to boost performance a little under psVoodoo, with the following WineTricks:

set DirectDraw renderer to OpenGL
set ORM to backbuffer

Interesting. What was the DirectDraw renderer before this change?

Right now, I have a few questions...

What is the best version of DirectX to use with GliDOS?

psVoodoo is built with the DirectX 9.0 SDK, so 9 is probably good.

What is the best version of Windows to use with GliDOS (I can change it to any version within Wine)?

Probably 32bit XP. If it were actual Windows and not Wine, you might be able to use VDos32 instead of DOSBox as Glidos's DOS emulation. VDos32 is many times faster, but is very unlikely to work under Wine.

Is there any way to run the functions of GliDOS directly within DOSBox (without GliDOS)?

No. All the enhancements are specific to Glidos.

Reply 29 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help.

Regarding DirectDraw, in Wine there is another option entitled
"set DirectDraw renderer to gdi", so I am assuming this could be the default.

Regarding my question about running the functions of GliDOS directly in DOSBox, I've been weighing my options, and if push comes to shove, I'll take the additional music GliDOS provides over anything else. I was just wondering if it might be possible to take the music function out of GliDOS, and put it into something like DOSBox. If so, I would more than gladly pay for GliDOS up front as a sort of collateral...

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about vDos32; you never know.

Reply 30 of 31, by SAHunterMech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I can't seem to get vDos32 to cooperate. It just crashes on startup, even in Windows Vista (within Wine). Are there any other system requirements for vDOS32 that I could be missing (like the .net framework or something)?