VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xace85x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, looking for a bit of assistance if possible.

I'm wondering if there is any fix available for the lengthy pauses that occur when trying to access the in-game menu in TR1 when running in Direct3D under Glidos. From searching around it seems to be an nVidia driver conflict (I have a GTX670). Running the game in OpenGL isn't the end of the world, but the options for resolutions and aspect ratios are a little better with Direct3D and it would be good to get it working if I can.

Also - but probably unrelated - adding a gamepad seems to send TR1 crazy, as if a constant directional button input were being pressed. Would be great if I could get to the bottom of that one too 🤣.

Thanks in advance,

ace

Reply 1 of 9, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no fix for the delay currently, I'm afraid. I need to analyse what's happening and I haven't had the time lately.

You should be able to sort out the gamepad problem by adding the correct config to Glidos\DOSBox\dosbox-0.73.conf. I don't know what exactly you should add, but someone on the DOSBox forum should know.

Reply 2 of 9, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't used GliDOS in a while so forgive me if I am wrong, but in the DOSBox configuration file set the joystick value to false. If you want to use a gamepad with Tomb Raider you will have to use a joy to key program like Xpadder for it.

Reply 5 of 9, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea yea take your time, I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

For a future version, would it be possible to have Glidos run this special DOSBox version with parameters? For example, there's a parameter -noconsole, which runs DOSBox without log window, or -exit parameter, which closes DOSBox automatically when the user exits the game ( = you don't have to close the window every time).

Reply 6 of 9, by xace85x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies to this topic everyone. I haven't had any time to look into getting DOSBox configured until today, so apologies for the necroposting. Regarding the controller issue, I'm having trouble locating the dosbox.conf file under Glidos though - it doesn't seem to be appearing in the DOSBox folder itself. Any ideas to help out my technically-inept self? 🤣

Reply 8 of 9, by xace85x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, ok. Latest version seems to be 1.53, I'm still running 1.51 here. I'll update and try again. Thanks.

EDIT - Updated, and everything is working great now. Found the config file, but joystick input was already set to null so it was good to go, and no more random backpedalling from Lara. Thanks for the continued support, it's great to still be able to play TR1 after all these years.

Reply 9 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a problem I've encountered even with vanilla Dosbox I believe. You have to find just the right number of cycles to run otherwise you get the stuck button pushes/ignored pushes. On the last machine I ran tomb raider on an i7 920 the correct number of cycles to allow the game to work properly and not encounter this issue was cycles=55000. I imagine it will be different depending on your hardware but there is a thin line where you get acceptable game performance and none of the broken control problems. Fool around with your cycles is my advice.