VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. So I have this odd issue with TR1 and the audio pack where the background songs play where they shouldn't. One instance is where the ambiance songs continue playing when the level completion screen appears, and at that point the song should have stopped playing. (same thing happens for cutscenes like the one at the end of level 4) Another instance of it happening is when I quit the game. The menu music starts playing from the beginning once the game window has closed and will continue to play until I close GliDOS completely. (it doesn't loop, just plays the entire song from beginning to end once) I've noted this issue in previous versions but it still happens even with the latest 1.53b version.

Some specs: (taken from Speccy)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Pentium D 840 @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0YC523 (Microprocessor)
Graphics: 128MB ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (it's really an x600, the drivers make the name funny)
Audio: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

I'm using the CD-ROM version of the game. I've tested a few things with this and it appears to happen regardless of the settings I pick, like using VDos32 vs DOSBox, psVoodoo vs OpenGlide, fullscreen vs windowed; always seems to happen. It doesn't happen if I don't use the audio pack, though oddly I don't hear any music when I don't use the audio pack. (sound effects still play)

I could try a recording of this if it would be of any help.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 1 of 1, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you know how to create a Mixed-Mode CD, create one. Drag all the TR CD files into the "data" area, and the mp3 files from the Audio Pack into the Audio area. It will burn the CD files and convert the mp3 ones to AudioCD format. It works best if you save it (or convert to) a .cue/.bin image file, mount it in DOSBox and set Glidos NOT to use any music (it will all be handled by DOSBox internally).

Here is how to mount the image in DOSBox: open the DOSBox .conf file with notepad, scroll all the way down to [Autoexec] section, and add this:

imgmount (your_cd_letter_of_choice) "(image_location)" -t iso -fs iso

So in my case, it is:
imgmount d "d:\TR1\TR1.cue" -t iso -fs iso

Then, if you want to adjust the music volume (it cannot be used in-game, the control does nothing), you add another line:

mixer cdaudio x:y

x and y are volume percentages for left and right channel (speaker or headphone, if you like).

In my case, it is:
mixer cdaudio 50:50

I found that 50% on left and right channel works best for me, but you can go louder (65% anyone?) or quieter (30%?). Hope this helps.