VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple of months ago, I found that using the high-quality FMV pack in Glidos would result in choppy video playback (15 fps instead of 30), while the standard, low-quality TR1 video files would play just fine. I'm happy to say that I've found the cause and solution.

At first, I thought it was a codec/OS/Glidos issue, but yesterday I analysed the files and found that they had been indeed encoded at 15 fps. To fix this, I have re-encoded all the files to work at 30 fps. It increased the pack size by 15 MB (was 60, now it's 75), but now they work just fine.

Would it be possible to include these files in a new version of the pack? I have uploaded them, here's the link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ezce06

Last edited by Sardoc on 2013-11-26, 03:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's something wrong with your YouTube comparison. The Glidos FMV pack is definitely not choppy like that (at least with the K-Lite codec pack). And the original RPL videos are also encoded in 15 fps, which means your 30 fps re-encoded videos are just doubling each frame. It looks to me the problem is not in the FMV pack but in your system codecs.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 2 of 4, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, tried that already countless times. Tried that on a physical machine (Win7 x64) and two virtual ones (Vista x64 and XP). In all cases I tried running without codecs (the program would not play the video), and installing K-Lite codec pack (both x86 and x64 versions). The files played fine in media players and video editing software, but for some reason, in Glidos they... well, you saw what they do. Tried enabling/disabling aero, running with(out) admin rights, using DirectX/OpenGL wrapper, even changing process priorities. Now because they were playing fine in media players, I was completely oblivious to frame rate, but looks like it was the culprit.

Re-encoding worked for me, that's why I've uploaded them files if anyone is experiencing the same problem.

Reply 3 of 4, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not talking about media players: I don't have any issue in Glidos (Win7-64). Since Glidos relies on system codecs, there is something wrong with your codecs. You should run Codec Tweak Tool and check for conflicts, broken codecs or forced 64-bit codecs (many applications don't like that). By using a different re-encoding, you didn't address your original problem which still exists.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 4 of 4, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did that as well. Tried disabling/forcing fddshow, LAV video, enabling/disabling hardware decoding and lots of other stuff.

It's okay now, really. Nothing worked for 2 months, and since this solution got rid of the problem, I'm not gonna complain.