VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i was wondering why i couldn't hear any of the background sounds or the title music anymore.

So i went here and read, that this VDos32 that i've been using is not working anymore, because Microsoft did something.
Further read that I should use DosBox now.
To make it all properly, i deinstalled everything (TR and Glidos), downloaded the latest Version 1.53b and the Pack "TRandUBforGlidos" to make sure it's the patched tomb.exe from 2007 (which it is, in the folder C:/Tombraid)

At least now with DoxBox i can use the sound from the CD (when i choose that option), because that wasn't working with VDos32 either anymore.
But when i choose the audiopack (which is installed in the audio-folder and when i doubleclick on one of these many mp3s, i can hear them) - complete Background-Sound is missing. No Main-title, just these ingame-sounds when moving the menu-ring and stuff.

Still using WinXP (i know ... 😒 ) 32bit.

Here's my brandnew Glidos-ini (left out the other games):

Selected: Tomb Raider (Original) […]
Show full quote

Selected: Tomb Raider (Original)

Name: Tomb Raider (GOG)
Executable: $GOG\TOMBRAID\tomb.exe
ExeSizes: 873739
CDPath: $GOG\GAME.GOG
CDCheckFile: data\Level10c.phd
Driver: Direct3D
NoModeChange: Yes
DosGraphics: Yes
VESASupport: Yes
ControlJudderFix: 1
Resolution: 3
FullScreen: No
TrShadowHack: Yes
RedbookEmulation: MP3
DosEmulation: DOSBox

Name: Tomb Raider (Steam)
Executable: $STEAM\steamapps\common\Tomb Raider (I)\TOMBRAID\tomb.exe
CDPath: $STEAM\steamapps\common\Tomb Raider (I)\GAME.GOG

Name: Tomb Raider (Original)
Executable: C:\Tombraid\Tomb.exe
CDPath: E:\
Driver: OpenGL
Resolution: 2
FullScreen: Yes
GammaAdjustment: 0.87
TextureOverride: Yes
TextureFolder: JC

Name: Tomb Raider (GOG with Archive)
CDPath: $GOG\GAME.GOG

Name: Tomb Raider (Steam with Archive)
CDPath: $STEAM\steamapps\common\Tomb Raider (I)\GAME.GOG

Name: Unfinished Business
Executable: C:\Tombraid\Tombub.exe
ExeSizes: 867563, 868075
CDPath: E:\
CDCheckFile: data\End2.phd
Driver: OpenGL
ManagedTextures: No
Resolution: 2
FullScreen: Yes
ForcedTextureSmoothing: Yes

So ... what to do now?

Cheers,
Mart

Reply 2 of 5, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your best bet would be to create a Mixed-Mode CD (I use the good, old Nero 7 for this). Usually they have 2 separate windows, so you copy all the files from the game CD to Data section, and the audio pack mp3 files to the Audio section.

Then, you save it as an image file. If your program can create .cue/.bin files, that's sorted already. If not, convert the image to .cue/.bin format (Magic ISO works for me).

Finally, set Glidos NOT so use any CD music. We'll let DOSBox handle music below.

Go to DOSBox, search for dosbox-0.73.conf file. Open it with notepad. Scroll all the way down to [Autoexec] section. Then add this line:
imgmount d "D:\Games\TR1\CD.cue" -t iso -fs iso

d is an example cdrom letter, and d:\games... is the .cue/.bin location.

If you want to turn down the music volume, add another line below:
mixer cdaudio 50:50

50:50 stands for left and right speaker, in percentages (so 50% volume for the left and 50% volume for the right speaker). You can play around with the values and find your best setting.

Reply 3 of 5, by Mart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, tried all that and it seems to work. But please don't stop to read here ... 🤣

That magicISO program gave me the creeps, i could not deinstall it after i used it to convert the nrg to cue/bin.
The deinstaller always aborted and the system froze and i had to do a cold win-restart for several times.
The solution was, that the virtual drive created by MagicIso is not gone, when you unmount it.
The only way to get rid of that program again is to set the number of virtuel drives to ZERO.
Took me 2 hours and lot of pain in the ass to figure that out ... 🤣

NOW .. it works, but the music/Background sounds are interrupted every few seconds.
I guess my system ist just too slow for that, maybe because with this solution now it has to use TWO virtual drives at the same time?!
Because i do have the original TR-CD already "inserted" on a virtual drive, and now DoxBox needs to involve the now new created mixed-Mode-CD as well.

Is there no other solution?
While doing all that, i had one Idea.
The just created mixed-Mode-CD is with the mp3-Files now, right?
What if i do create a real Mixed-Mode-CD, not with the mp3s, but with ALL the 59 audio-tracks (that can be played on every standard cd player).
I just have to convert the mp3s into wavs and then an CD-Image could be done with real CDA-Audiofiles.

And if i then tell Glidos to use CD-Audio, wouldn't that work as well? Would all the additional sounds the be triggered in the game without the need to have Doxbox involve another image?????
I mean, the original CD audio worked fine with DosBox anyway, is was just missing the additional tracks. But if I include them all as CDA-Files?!

Because then it's only one image that would be used. Or do i miss something here?

Hmm ... all kind of tricky ... 😉

Reply 4 of 5, by Mart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YES!!!! It worked how i thought! 😀

No need to change the DosBox-config, just replacing the original CD-Rom with a selfmade one that has all the 59 CDA-Files instead of the just 10 originally.
Like that one can leave the audio settings in Glidos to "Use CD audio" and all music will be played as intended!!! 😀
No need to install audio packs anymore.

If that was just me, ok, but if that is a common problem, then the installer should be changed.
There should be offered a disc image that contains all needed music tracks, maybe in the 3 different language versions, like the different audio packs used to be.

Let's hope, TR is save now again for at least another 10 years! 😉