VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vazz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I spent forever trying to get Redguard to work properly with dgvoodoo with little to no success. Read pretty much every guide I seen on google. Tested it in win7 64bit, winXP and win98(vmware). But it would either not work, run too slow or the graphics would be too glitchy. Anyways, long story short I recently tried glidos(I probably passed it up before since it isn't free but I'm desperate now 🙁 ) and got it to run smoothly in vmware windows xp sp3, the only issue I have is no music. Which seems to be an issue a lot of people have. I have sound, just no music.

Under dos emulation I use VDos32 since it runs the fastest. The other options(windows/dosbox) just aren't smooth enough plus I want to record the game for youtube which may slow down the game more and so I need the fastest option which VDos32 is for me.

So one thing people always say to check is if the cd drive has sound enabled and I believe it is. http://puu.sh/8AvF6.jpg
I've also tried making the .BAT file that launches sapucdex with rgfx.exe and have glidos open it but vdos32 doesn't seem to like that and just gives me this error: http://puu.sh/8AvZb.jpg
I've also tried configuring setsound with vdms but still no go.

So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digital playback doesn't work with all programs. On 2K/XP, I remember having to use the good old internal audio CD cable with Glidos because the CD tracks of Redguard and TR1 would only work with analog playback. Things might have changed, but I haven't tried Redguard in a long time (now on Win7-64).

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 2 of 3, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this:

1. Make a .cue/bin image of the game disk. It's very important that it's .cue/bin, NOT .iso or anything else.
2. Within Glidos folder, find Dosbox (it's included in the newest version of Glidos), and open its .conf file with notepad. Scroll all the way down to [Autoexec] section.
3. In the Autoexec section, add these lines:

imgmount virtual_drive_letter "game_image_location" -t iso -fs iso
mixer cdaudio x:y

x and y are percentages (0-100) for left and right speaker/headphone, respectively.

In my case (playing Tomb Raider), it's like this:
imgmount e "d:\Games\TR\TombRaider.cue" -t iso -fs iso
mixer cdaudio 50:50

4. Set Glidos to use Dosbox as a Dos emulator, and in Audio section, set none (so that Dosbox deals with the music, and not Glidos)

Try it out, see if it works. Hopefully yes.