VOGONS

Common searches

Freeware?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm interested in GLIDOS but don't want to use PayPal.
I'm not a cheapskate for a lousy 10 bucks, but any money I have, I think should go for more useful things including electricty, phone bills, cable TV, and my ISP.
I also don't tust services like PayPal with my privacy, although I have signed up for many boards which all log my IP.
How can I use GLIDOS free after 30 days?

Side Note: I have the Bink Player which is freeware but asks for a donation with PayPal.

PS: What exatly does Dracman's Rush package do?

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-22, 22:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

I'm interested in GLIDOS but don't wan't to use PayPal.
I'm not a cheapskate for a lousy 10 bucks, but any money I have, I think should go for more useful things including electricty, phone bills, cable TV, and my ISP.

Well, if you find that Glidos is not useful you can simply delete it.

Oh, I see. You DO think Glidos is useful. Useful enough to keep around for more than 30 days, anyway. If that's the case, why cheat Paul out of $10? I'm sure he has his own electricity, phone, cable, and ISP bills to pay. Perhaps he can just take the time used to develop Glidos for free (he'll be doing just that if everyone who uses it stiffs him out of his payment) and use it for more lucrative work.

Really, stop and think for a minute. You've just posted a message on a forum used to support Glidos asking that someone help you steal the hard work of the developer who visits here daily. That's a bit rude, wouldn't you say?

If you like Glidos, set aside a quarter, nickle, and three pennies every day in October. Come Halloween you'll have enough to pay for a legit copy of Glidos.

Easy, no?

Reply 4 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey, I didn't mean I wanted a pirated copy.
I just have alot of stuff to pay for and think the donation thing (see Bink Player example) would work for people like me.
It could be an optional donation with bonus incentives like Amazon.com has.
Free unlimited tech support plus free game samples within the GLIDOS newsletter for donaters.
Free tech support for a year (75 cents per call) for non donaters.

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-22, 22:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

??

Your IP is logged as soon as you sign on to your ISP.
Your IP is logged when you go to google

yahoo

etc..
etc..

Don't want it logged? Don't use the internet. It's really that simple! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata
DosFreak wrote:
?? […]
Show full quote

??

Your IP is logged as soon as you sign on to your ISP.
Your IP is logged when you go to google

yahoo

etc..
etc..

Don't want it logged? Don't use the internet. It's really that simple! 😀

How am I supposed to know that?
Bank machine, shopping scanner, medical records, video store.
I guess I can't avoid my privacy being invaded.

Reply 8 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, that's the way the world is going. Especially since Sept 11. There are good and bad points. Hard to determine what is good and what is bad.

Basically if you don't feel right about something it's best to take it up with your local state Rep. Email, snail mail, phone calls, even these simple means of communication are not used as much as they should be by the people to let their wants/needs/desires known....which is why things are so (insert dirty word). 😉

Still IP logging has to be used on THIS site incase some UNREGISTERED person wanted to attack the site.

Reply 9 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Hey, I didn't mean I wanted a pirated copy.

The original question:

certainly implies it.

Unregistered wrote:

I just have alot of stuff to pay for and think the donation thing would work for people like me.

Or you can just live with the logo until you can come up with the cash. It's Paul's descision but realize that would be yet another thing for him to keep track of... You do understand that he has a full-time job in addition to his GliDOS project?

Reply 10 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Yep, that's the way the world is going. Especially since Sept 11. There are good and bad points. Hard to determine what is good and what is bad.

Yes, let's not get too ballistic on the privacy issue. I still remember people pitching a fit, and insisting their rights were violated when they were using the office mailsystem for private emails (Apparently not grasping the concept that the purpose for the email system was for work).
If you don't want your boss knowing what you do, don't bring your private stuff to work with you.

I would personally love to have "true" anonymity on the Internet, but I know that's almost impossible without a lot of Hulabaloo (and Hulabaloo is pretty expensive nowadays).

Still IP logging has to be used on THIS site incase some UNREGISTERED person wanted to attack the site.

And there's a perfect (legitimate) example as to why all this tracking occurs. As long as the # of morons outnumber the people who are legitimately trying do things we'll have to put up with this.

Slight tangent. I believe it was Montana that had once lifted speed limits, relying on the driver's competence to drive at a "safe speed". IIRC, limits were put back in place primarily due to a small number of psychos who were driving well beyond 100MPH. IOW, a few tend to spoil things for the many...

Reply 11 of 31, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're welcome, Glidos and Snover. I'm well aware of the amount of sheer effort that goes into a project such as this.

The Open Glide dll and ini file brought new life to a favorite game, and I'm more than happy to buy the full package by way of thanks. It's the least I can do.

Reply 12 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

How am I supposed to know that?
Bank machine, shopping scanner, medical records, video store.
I guess I can't avoid my privacy being invaded.

Dude, I'm a privacy whore, and even I'm not as paranoid as you are. If this was donationware, almost nobody would buy it. I mean, if you could get anything you wanted to free and never get caught, would you? For many people, the answer is overwhelmingly "yes". So stop bitching about it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

The original question: certainly implies it.
Or you can just live with the logo until you can come up with the cash. It's Paul's descision but realize that would be yet another thing for him to keep track of... You do understand that he has a full-time job in addition to his GliDOS project?

When I asked that, I meant why is it trialware when more people would use it as donationware, and if I can't spend a little here and a little there without taking away from what's necessary (plus $200 PS2 and $50 games), why should anybody expect anyone else to?
Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness, Soul Reaver 3, and the sequels to the other games mentioned can all be played online now (need $30 adapter plus 40 - 60 dollars for online game index).
Why would one want to spend even $10 more for an inferior product when you can already play online?

As for being Paul's descision, you gave me a good idea!
I should show him this thread and tell him the details of what I have in mind!

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-25, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata
Snover wrote:

Dude, I'm a privacy whore, and even I'm not as paranoid as you are. If this was donationware, almost nobody would buy it. I mean, if you could get anything you wanted to free and never get caught, would you? For many people, the answer is overwhelmingly "yes". So stop bitching about it.

Bla-bla-bla
I'll do what I want thank you very much.

PS: I was considering registering here, if I wasn't already signed on to many other boards, but i won't so I'll just tell you my name...
New Raider

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-25, 17:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata

From http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com

Appendix 2. Will Glidos continue to be freeware (why should > people purchase Glidos ?

"I'm undecided on this one. I'm finding it harder and harder to make time for Glidos work, and I must admit I'm thinking of selling it rather than giving it away when I release the Windows NT/2000/XP version - only $5 or so, just to fund further development. I don't really want to charge for it, but I can't see another way to fund the time that would be needed to turn Glidos into the general DOS 3D emulation I want it to be."
This interview was 2 years ago.
So it was freeware at on time!
It already went up $5.

Reply 16 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:
When I asked that, I meant why is it trialware when more people would use it as donationware, and if I can't spend a little here […]
Show full quote

When I asked that, I meant why is it trialware when more people would use it as donationware, and if I can't spend a little here and a little there without taking away from what's necessary (plus 0 PS2 and games), why should anybody expect anyone else to?
Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness, Soul Reaver 3, and the sequels to the other games mentioned can all be played online now (need adapter plus 40 - 60 dollars for online game index).
Why would one want to spend even more for an inferior product when you can already play online?

As for being Paul's descision, you gave me a good idea!
I should show him this thread and tell him the details of what I have in mind!

More people would use it as donationware? WTF? Where do you get your figures? Postcardware does not make money. The author of this program put HIS time and HIS blood into this program. Therefore it is HIS right to charge for every single bit of it.

Inferior product my arse! Just because it's new doesn't mean jack...and means even less (at least to me) when it's "online"..and $10 is a small price to pay to get your GOOD old games to work. (Although I never though TR was all that good... 😀 )

I don't see TR:AOD as anything more than TR with supposedly a new graphics engine and adding Darkness to the TR character. OH! So now instead of a Woman game character with oddly sized atributes we now have a woman game character with oddly sizes atributes and Darkness WHAT A LEAP! WHOAH!

As for Soul Reaver...it lost it's magic after the original game...which thankfully can be played just fine in the latest OS's. 😀

Reply 17 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:
Bla-bla-bla I'll do what I want thank you very much. […]
Show full quote

Bla-bla-bla
I'll do what I want thank you very much.

PS: I was considering registering here, if I wasn't already signed on to many other boards, but i won't so I'll just tell you my name...
New Raider

Don't let the door....

Reply 18 of 31, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Who gives a toss how much it is, if it's worth you using and enjoying it, then it's worth you paying for it.

I pay for all my emulation.
I paid for Magic Engine because it's such a fantastic PC Engine emulator, that it deserved the paultry £10 asking price.

I paid for Amiga Emulation via Cloanto, and now enjoy a fully working Amiga OS3.9 on my Athlon PC.

I also paid for Akiko, a CD32 emulator that plays all the CD32 CDs.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 19 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

When I asked that, I meant why is it trialware when more people would use it as donationware,...

I was trying to be polite. You were asking how to play it for free and you don't know any such thing about donationware working better. That clearly comes from your personal desire to use it (without the logo) without being forced to pay first.

...and if I can't spend a little here and a little there without taking away from what's necessary (plus 0 PS2 and games),...

When you started this thread, you cried "POOR" (your references to needing to pay for electricity, phone, etc...). Now we learn that a PS2 and it's games are also "essentials".

...Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness, Soul Reaver 3, and the sequels to the other games mentioned can all be played online now...

Whoopee.

...(need adapter plus 40 - 60 dollars for online game index).

You seem to have plenty of cash for just about everything...except when it comes to Paul's GliDOS.

Why would one want to spend even more for an inferior product when you can already play online?

Woof. You know of a better Glide-DOS emulator out there? (Don't bother...There isn't one) And as far as playing games online...You're kidding right? The PS2 only just recently joined online gaming community. Online gaming has been around for years.

The fact that the PS2 can now play online is only significant for dedicated PS2 fans. Nobody else cares, they were online long ago..

This ridiculous attempt at making it seem like GliDOS is trivial is self-defeating. If it was so "inferior" and PS2-online was so grand, you wouldn't be here rambling on in an attempt get GliDOS for free.

This attempt to cry poor, then tell us how inferior it is while revealing your plan to spend big chunks of cash on your PS2 reveals that it's not a lack of cash that's the problem.