VOGONS

Common searches

Freeware?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally I decided to charge for Glidos having some dream that it, and maybe other projects, would fund themselves, and I'd be able to work on them during the day rather than through the night. But it didn't work out. Financially, its a waste of time my charging for Glidos.

Now I charge for it simply so that people like Mr Unregestered can't have it for free. 😜

Reply 23 of 31, by New Raider

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
I was trying to be polite. You were asking how to play it for free and you don't know any such thing about donationware working […]
Show full quote

I was trying to be polite. You were asking how to play it for free and you don't know any such thing about donationware working better. That clearly comes from your personal desire to use it (without the logo) without being forced to pay first.

When you started this thread, you cried "POOR" (your references to needing to pay for electricity, phone, etc...). Now we learn that a PS2 and it's games are also "essentials".

Whoopee.
You seem to have plenty of cash for just about everything...except when it comes to Paul's GliDOS.

Woof. You know of a better Glide-DOS emulator out there? (Don't bother...There isn't one) And as far as playing games online...You're kidding right? The PS2 only just recently joined online gaming community. Online gaming has been around for years.

The fact that the PS2 can now play online is only significant for dedicated PS2 fans. Nobody else cares, they were online long ago..

This ridiculous attempt at making it seem like GliDOS was trivial is self-defeating. If it was so "inferior" and PS2-online was so grand, you wouldn't be here rambling on in an attempt get GliDOS for free.

This attempt to cry poor, then tell us how inferior it is while revealing your plan to spend big chunks of cash on your PS2 reveals that it's not a lack of cash that's the problem.

This does not come from my personal wants, although I will admit it's a plus.
PC, Dreamcast, Nintendo, and PS1 games have been online for some time, but either your playing against the computer, or your shelling out big bucks for a one time turnament of thousands.
When PS2, X-Box, and GameCube revealed their plans for online gaming, GLIDOS, which is for the PC version of only a few games, suddenly became an inferior product which people (anyone who doesn't have it yet) wouldn't wanna spend extra money for.
I said I was interested in finding more about it.
I haven't decided to get it, and that's why I'm here.
You don't see me registered for the other forums which are for people with the program do you?

PS: I didn't say anything about "poor".
Poor is without well built shelter of your own.
Poor is clothes you have to make yourself out of the cheapest things you can find.
Poor is riding a second hand rusty old bike to church each week.
I am not poor nor did I indicate it.

Last edited by New Raider on 2002-09-26, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
New Raider wrote:

When PS2, X-Box, and GameCube revealed their plans for online gaming, GLIDOS, which is for the PC version of only a few games, suddenly became an inferior product which people (anyone who doesn't have it yet) wouldn't wanna spend extra money for.

Raider, this is what is commonly known as an "incredibly dumb statement".

in·fe·ri·or Pronunciation Key (n-fîr-r) adj.

1. Low or lower in order, degree, or rank: Captain is an inferior rank to major.
2. 1. Low or lower in quality, value, or estimation
felt inferior to his older sibling.
2. Second-rate; poor an inferior translation
3. Situated under or beneath.
etc...

When you claim something is inferior to something else. That "something else" needs to at least be relatively comparable.

GliDOS is not comparable to "consoles that can play on the internet" as they do not do the same thing. GliDOS emulates the enviroment a Voodoo-equipped PC with Glide enhancements specifically for the purpose of preserving classic 3dfx only games.

No game console does that. Period. It's not a game.
When you come up with a DOS-3dfx emulation system, then you'll have a comparison.

I haven't decided to get it, and that's why I'm here.

You asked two questions in your initial post:

What exatly does Dracman's Rush package do?

This was discussed in this thread:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=5&highlight=Dracman
The short answer is (apparently) nothing.

Your only other "interest" that you have been tediously repeating here is how you can get GliDOS while avoiding payment. Someone who was interested in the product would ask questions about the product and not keep on insisting on how you have a much better idea for payment system. You are quite transparent on this...

The only difference you get is the removal of the GliDOS logo. All the info about GliDOS is on Paul's webpage.

PS: I didn't say anything about "poor". Poor is without well built shelter of your own. Poor is clothes you have to make yourse […]
Show full quote

PS: I didn't say anything about "poor".
Poor is without well built shelter of your own.
Poor is clothes you have to make yourself out of the cheapest things you can find.
Poor is riding a second hand rusty old bike to church each week.
I am not poor nor did I indicate it.

FROM YOUR ORIGINAL POST:

I'm not a cheapskate for a lousy 10 bucks, but any money I have, I think should go for more useful things including electricty, phone bills,...

"Crying Poor" is whenever someone cites their personal financial woes, (usually in an exaggerated fashion) in order to gain sympathy from others. BY DEFINITION, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID.

This is not to be confused with "Emotional Extortion", where one tells a sad story in an attempt to induce guilt in the listener. That's EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID at the end of this last post.

Don't do it again.

Reply 26 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*sniff,sniff* Hmm, does anyone else smell that? It's like... burning flesh. I think enough flaming has gone on here. It was amusing to read for a while, but that novelty has worn off.

The moral of the story: When you're trying to get something for free, get your head out of your arse first so you can see. (That usually helps, for starters. Then again, complaining about how you're poor and then going on about how PS2 accessorising costs money doesn't really help your claim any.)

Bring this up again, and someone's ISP's IP blocks get banned.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 31, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just reopenned this thread so I can just make one last comment, and I wont close it again for a while because I don't want to force this as the last word (hope that's okay guys).

I'm quite happy for people to criticise Glidos, especially for its real shortcomings, like the difficulty in installing it for example, but I don't think your criticism makes sense. Glidos was written to support a very specific set of games, those that use Glide from DOS. Of course you don't want it unless you want to play one of those games. These are very old games, so most people wouldn't want them. But they are also classic games so there are a few people that want to replay them again and again, and for those people Glidos is the only choice for getting good graphics. For them $10 is nothing. I find it difficult to see how you can call it an inferior product: it is a one off at the moment. If you want GLide under DOS then Glidos is your only choice. Admittedly if someone else extends their glide wrapper to work with DOS, Glidos may very well become the inferior product, but now it is both the best and the worst, because it is the only.

Actually while writing, I think I may have understood what you are saying. If you compare Glidos with other emulators in terms of the number of games supported, then in that sense Glidos is an inferior product. If you collect emulators to be sure that you can play any game that you might come across then, yes, Glidos is one that you may be able to do with out. But Glidos wasn't written for that; it was written just to keep a few games alive, originally just the first Tomb Raider.

Reply 28 of 31, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out the link between Consoles and GliDOS ????????????

What the hell is he on about ?

Excuse the crap analogy, but.....

thats like saying to someone "Why should I give you £10/$10 for that colour TV, When I can get a superior Sony 52" wega Widescreen for £400/$400 ?" "I want it for nothing !!"

First of all it doesn't make any sense (Which is how I wanted the analogy to sound), and secondly it's irrelevant.

Take the PCEngine emulators. There are 2 decent ones.
Magic Engine, and Hugo.

Hugo loads most games, plays most games well, but isn't all that great. But it is free !!
Magic Engine plays 99.9% of PCEngine games out there, has enhanced video modes, good joypad support, a great frontend, superb CD support. But costs £10/$10.

Think of this as another analogy.
Which would you rather have ?
The free software version, Hugo ? or
The £10/$10 version, with enhanced video modes, and almost perfect emulation ?

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 29 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CraigG wrote:

I still cannot, for the life of me, figure out the link between Consoles and GliDOS ????????????

There isn't one. He obviously has a strong personal interest in console gaming (especially in Tomb Raider). He wants to have the "Ultimate Original Tomb Raider". At present, that would be the PC version using Paul's GliDOS. He has limited funding (but apparently, not really all that limited) and knows he can't have his PS2 games for free, but he can have GliDOS for free. He just wants the logo to go away for free as well.

I can sympathize. But coming here to complain about his cash flow and trying to rationalize how he shouldn't have to pay is unacceptable.

Reply 30 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find it amazing that the thread has lasted this long without devolving into the flamefest that I thought it would have been.....amazing. 😀

I still think the thread should have been locked after GliDos posted his last post tho....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline