VOGONS

Common searches

Problem with Tomb Raider

Topic actions

First post, by dorso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,I have a problem with this game. I install succefully it with the advance installler,I've good sound but graphics are strange.
At the beginning of the first level,I don't know,there are green and white polygons instead of snow.The dispay of Lara and enemies is ok. If I have a photo you can see.I use Glidos version 1.24,my system is Windows 2000 and my video card is a Nvidia TNT2 model 64 with last drivers available on the site of Nvidia.
In the Glide server appears:
Resolution = 640x480
Refresh rate = 60Hz
Color format = ARGB
Number of color buffers = 2
Number of aux buffers = 1

Sorry for my beginner English

Reply 1 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TNT should work fine, unless nVidia has introduced some problems in their latest drivers. You could try going back to an old drivera (around the 3x.xx range).

Also check that you have no files called Glide2x.dll other than the one that came with Glidos.

Your English is fine, by the way.

Reply 4 of 52, by dorso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't understand, in my subfolder I have these files:

Glidos.exe
Glidos
GlidosF
OpenGLid.LOG
Glide2x.dll
Glidos.ini
OpenGLid.ini
Glide2x.ovl
PollPipe.dll
gldvese.exe
epipdlg1.vxd
gldpipe1.vxd
Msvcrt.dll

Do I must delete any files of that list?
Anyway How can I save an image of the game to post here?

Reply 6 of 52, by Guest

User metadata

I have a similar problem in that there are missing textures. during game play. As I move forward the textues are filled in, but other missing textures appear (or not 😎) in the distance. See attached image. I have tried various resolutions and colour depth to no avail.

I am running :-
Glidos v1.25
Win2000 sp4 (latest drivers for everything)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Any Ideas?

Attachments

• Missing.jpg
    Filename
    Missing.jpg
    File size
    17.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Several people are reporting problems like this with TNT using some of the latest drivers; oh well done nVidia! Going back to older drivers worked for someone, but I can't remember which they went back to. Going back to the ones you previously used has to be a good bet. I'm using 43.45 here, but that's not for a TNT card.

Reply 9 of 52, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

First, hi there EveryOne @ VOGONS! 😎

I also experienced this glitch but I managed to cure it after a few tryings. An advice: always backup Your old "Glidos.ini" and "OpenGLid.ini" files before installing a new version of GliDOS! So, I bumped into this graphic-error too, but everything turned okay after I copied my old INI-files back. Give it a try, it worked for me, so I hope it will work for You too...

I have ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB with the latest Catalyst 04.3 driver. TR1+Gold work fine with GliDOS 1.26 and with the latest texture-packs from Gambit37..not to mention the 6X SmoothVision (should be OFF when VESA-Support is enabled) and 16X Anisotropic filters..30 FPS. Excellent! 😁

Oh, here's my "OpenGLid.ini" by the way...

"
Configuration File for OpenGLide

Info:
Priority goes from 0(HIGH) to 5(IDLE)
Texture Memory goes from 2 to 32
Frame Buffer Memory goes from 2 to 16
All other fields are boolean with 1(TRUE) and 0(FALSE)

Version=0.09rc6

[Options]
WrapperPriority=2
EnableMMX=1
CreateWindow=0
InitFullScreen=0
EnableMipMaps=0
IgnorePaletteChange=0
Wrap565to5551=1
EnablePrecisionFix=1
EnableMultiTextureEXT=1
EnablePaletteEXT=1
EnableVertexArrayEXT=0
TextureMemorySize=16
FrameBufferMemorySize=8
"

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 10 of 52, by artie150

User metadata

MANY THANKS!!!!!
I was going crazy between wondering whether it was the video driver or glidos1.26.
I am running an ATI 9700 and after installing 1.26 and the new video drivers I was getting missing textures too!!!.
After making the changes to the "OpenGlide.ini" file everything is perfect!
Again many thanks. [/img]

Reply 12 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for sorting that. Its a great help to know the cause.

Still annoying that MipMapping is broken. Other people have cured this by going back to previous drivers, so I'm still suspicious about drivers.

Reply 13 of 52, by Markus

User metadata

It works with my radeon after changing one line in openglides PGTexture.cpp:

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);

instead of

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );

does the trick.
It's really worth trying, the textures aren't flashy anymore...

And now for something completey different:
in grguTex.cpp changing

OpenGL.SClampMode = GL_REPEAT - s_clampmode;
OpenGL.TClampMode = GL_REPEAT - t_clampmode;

to

switch ( s_clampmode )
{
case GR_TEXTURECLAMP_CLAMP: OpenGL.SClampMode = GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE; break;
case GR_TEXTURECLAMP_WRAP: OpenGL.SClampMode = GL_REPEAT; break;
}
switch ( t_clampmode )
{
case GR_TEXTURECLAMP_CLAMP: OpenGL.TClampMode = GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE; break;
case GR_TEXTURECLAMP_WRAP: OpenGL.TClampMode = GL_REPEAT; break;
}

kills those dirty black lines around some textures (mainly in the opening screen)

Reply 14 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey! Amazing. Tell me more.

Does the first change work where changing the mipmapping setting in the .INI file doesn't? Or if both methods work, does the change lead to a smoother image?

The second change is very interesting. What it may be doing is ignoring bad values. I get black lines here on my GF3Ti500 if I update my drivers to the latest. I'll see if that change fixes it. Shalln't stick with the new drivers either way, though, because they are slow.

Reply 15 of 52, by Markus

User metadata

Hi Paul,

well, the problem with those black lines is an old one; nvidia did something wrong years ago (GL_CLAMP was synonym to GL_REPEAT as opposed to the specs.)
ATI (and recently Nvidia too) handle GL_CLAMP correctly by not forgetting about the texture border. GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE should work as expected with every opengl-implementation.

With mipmapping enabled in an unpatched openglide I notice missing or wrong textures throughout the whole game like on the picture a few postings earlier in this thread, especially when using gambits high res textures.
I found almost the same lines of code in other opengl apps where they're generating the mipmaps, but none of them were using GL_LINEAR for GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, so I just tried it and it worked (you still have to enable mipmapping in openglide.ini.)
With mipmapping enabled the image gets a little more blurry, but it's not "flashy" anymore, whereas without I get a sharp image, but it's flashing where two textures meet, which gets anoying when I move around.

Reply 16 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll take a closer look at both of these things when I get a chance.

The clamping thing: what worries me here is that I can think of only two possible reasons your changes work. The original code was just wrong (need to look at the actual integer values to find out), but if it was then too many things used to work correctly. Or the original code was correct but didn't ignore out of range values. With this issue, I prefer your changed version anyway. I dislike overoptimisation.

The mipmapping thing. I would expect your change to turn off mipmapping, but you say you still get blurring. I'll have to try it out here.
I would have thought GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR was the right value.

Reply 17 of 52, by Markus

User metadata

clamping:
Well, I'm afraid, your code was wrong, but only because nvidia broke the opengl specs. It's funny that they've fixed it in their recent drivers, but you can still force them to use the old behaviour: in the nvidia control panel you can uncheck "Enable conformant OpenGL texture clamp behavior."

mipmapping:
Huh? No, I replaced GL_LINEAR with GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR to get it working.

Reply 18 of 52, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Clamping: to save me going into it now, what was the old code doing wrong? I can't tell without knowing the integer values of the enums. Was it swapping the clamp/repeat values?

Mipmapping: Oh, I read your message too quickly. Then I don't understand how the old code ever had mipmapping working. Also I don't understand why GL_Linear would cause missing textures. Still, your change sounds correct.

Reply 19 of 52, by Markus

User metadata

Hi Paul,

I don't have the sources available at the moment, but I remember the old code set OpenGL.SClampMode and OpenGL.TClampMode to GL_REPEAT - s_clampmode (or t_clampmode.)
Depending on the value of s(t)_clampmode (0 or 1) you end up with GL_REPEAT (0x2901) or GL_CLAMP (0x2900.)
While GL_REPEAT is okay, in case of GL_CLAMP this only works on (elder) nvidia drivers, because nvidia implemented GL_CLAMP to behave like GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.
Well, this is all, my patch does, it avoids GL_CLAMP and uses GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE (0x812F) instead - it should work with ati, nvidia and any compliant opengl 1.2 card (and most of it was in the sources already, although commented out;-)

Mipmapping:
missing textures is not quite right, the mipmaps were missing, the normal fullsize texture was there, so when you near a wall, the right fullsize texture is used, when you're getting away from the wall, opengl tries to switch to a smaller texture, which hasn't been generated and uses random textures or garbage.

Then I don't understand how the old code ever had mipmapping working.

I think this is just another difference between ati and nvidia...

And did I tell you, that I love glidos? Keep up the good work!