VOGONS

Common searches

So we get back to the original question.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by New Raider

User metadata

I don't respond well to threats Glidos, even if you have the capibity of using a power trip to boot me out!

I want to be able to play the classic games that I enjoy (The TR series are the only ones that I like) in enhanced graphics, a sharp picture, and other things GLIDOS (apparently it has a small i) PROMISES to provide, but I also think games are getting much better these days, and if the entire Tomb Raider series can be on the PS2 and online, then I say **** the program, but since that won't happen for a while (at least not until TR8 comes out) I do want this capibility, but I have a limited expence which is not to say that I'm poor.
The fact I have PS2, 2 memory cards, Sony DVD remote control, the Region-X CD (lets you change the regional coding), and next year the hard drive plus games for the console (just a few each year) is irrelevant.
I'm not saying I'm including console play (I won't be playing online) as an essensial, but everything GLiDOS provides can be found in console and console/online games.
Remember I said the original Diablo was coming out (PS2, X-Box, and GBA), well that's the way it will be for other games, and GLiDOS (as well as the Admins here) will be obsolete.

For now, yes, I do want to get rid of the logo, but I've already paid for these things (which will eventually do the same thing), and I have real essentials that could be paid with that money.

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm
Click on the FREE download for the Bink Player.
When you install, it will ask you to donate a few bucks.
I think this system could work for GLiDOS.
Of course most people (including me) won't bother to donate, but if bonus incentives are given, plus wanting to share the love of the program, they just might.
Think of it, after a year, tech support is just 75 cents a call for people who didn't donate.
Double that and you have $1.50.
Multiply that with the millions (possibly billions) of people who are thinking of downloading it.
Multiply that by the numerous complaints I've been reading on these boards, and if the people don't choose to get live support, they will come to your forums which brings up your hit count that pays for your sponsors.

Don't bother responding just yet (don't lock it either).
I'd rather have a clean slate when I E-mail this idea to Paul himself.
What is his E-mail address?

Last edited by New Raider on 2002-09-27, 01:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
New Raider wrote:

I don't respond well to threats Glidos, even if you have the capibity of using a power trip to boot me out!

< boggle > Did you not read Paul's response in the other thread? He was much more civil and levelheaded than I could ever be in his position.

I do want this capibility, but I have a limited expence which is not to say that I'm poor.
The fact I have PS2, 2 memory cards, Sony DVD remote control, the Region-X CD (lets you change the regional coding), and next year the hard drive plus games for the console (just a few each year) is irrelevant.

Irrelevant? I think not. How the heck did you acquire this hardware? You paid for it, I assume. Why can't you simply do the same with Glidos?

For now, yes, I do want to get rid of the logo, but I've already paid for these things (which will eventually do the same thing), and I have real essentials that could be paid with that money.

Great. You can wait for the eventuality of those games on your already-paid-for PS2, then. Want them now? Pay Paul. Then you'll have an already paid for copy of Glidos to play them with.

No, it won't.

Of course most people (including me) won't bother to donate, but if bonus incentives are given, plus wanting to share the love of the program, they just might.

Thanks for being honest here. This is exactly WHY donation ware doesn't work. Once a fully functional and free copy of a program is in someone's hands it is highly unlikely any donations will be forthcoming. Sure, there are exceptions. They're rare.

Multiply that with the millions (possibly billions) of people who are thinking of downloading it.

Millions or BILLIONS? Truly, you're living in a dream world.

Multiply that by the numerous complaints I've been reading on these boards,

Wow, what a nice compliment.

I'd rather have a clean slate when I E-mail this idea to Paul himself.

Too late. Your slate is anything but clean, and you've no one to blame but yourself.
If I'm reading your posts wrong, I apologize. Perhaps your writing style doesn't express your intent well. For the record, here's the impression I have come away with:

"Hi Paul. I'd like a logo-free copy of Glidos but I don't want to pay for it. Please stop charging so that I can have what I want.

OK, maybe you can make it donationware so that I can kid myself into believing that some other users will make it worth your while. Don't look at me, though. I have other important bills to pay, and gaming hardware to buy.

If you don't give me what I want, I'll insult you and your program on the same public message board you use for tech support. Glidos isn't really necessary, anyway.

I still want a copy, though. Free. Mommy used to give me everything I wanted, why don't you?"

Give it a rest. Pay for Glidos, live with the logo, or do without. In the immortal words of the Stones:

You can't always get what you want.

Reply 4 of 14, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

Just who are you to say this?
You mean in your opinion.

Precisely. It is my opinion.

Who am I? Simply someone who has seen the benefits of Paul's efforts and willingly paid him the small fee he asks for his excellent Glide wrapper. The alternatives are to either forego using software that requires Glide or to buy a used Voodoo card for my computer.

Glidos is an elegant solution, and one I feel is well worth the $10 asked for it. You apparently don't. I've felt the same way about much shareware I've tried in the past. When that happens I delete it from my hard drive and move on.

Perhaps, as I've said before, I'm simply misunderstanding the tone of your posts. To my eye they boil down to "Gimmee!" and "Why can't I have what I want?".

Life just doesn't work that way.

Reply 5 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
New Raider wrote:

I would've made this private, but your registration is gone.

I'm not sure which is worse, your arrogance or your stupidity.

Paul (Glidos) has gone out of his way to show you courtesy:
He's the only one to show further interest in discussing anything with you. You have evidence that Paul's done you wrong somehow? Cough it up. Immediately.

...in enhanced graphics, a sharp picture, and other things GLIDOS (apparently it has a small i) PROMISES to provide,...

It does. Stop with these profoundly stupid
"Master Thespian" speeches where you act like Paul was asking for the Hope diamond as part of the payment.

...but I also think games are getting much better these days,...

You still suffer from the delusion that your opinion has merit here. The price is . Pay it, or don't.

... and if the entire Tomb Raider series can be on the PS2 and online, then I say **** the program,...

Does this mean you'll stop whining about it in the forums?

... which is not to say that I'm poor. The fact I have PS2, 2 memory cards, Sony DVD remote control, the Region-X CD (lets you change the regional coding), and next year the hard drive plus games for the console (just a few each year) is irrelevant.

It's quite relevant as it illustrates that you're willing to plunk down hundreds of dollars for that, but you can't spare for Paul.

...everything GLiDOS provides can be found in console and console/online games.

Which, of course, is why you keep coming back here, right?

Remember I said the original Diablo was coming out (PS2, X-Box, and GBA), well that's the way it will be for other games, and GLiDOS (as well as the Admins here) will be obsolete.

Wow. Every time I think you've said something so stupid that you can't top it. Now you come up with this downright delusional statement. Inferior? Obsolete? You have major problems with the English language. Is it, perhaps, a second language for you?

For now, yes, I do want to get rid of the logo, but I've already paid for these things....

You haven't paid for GliDOS. Which is how you make it go away. You apparently have a problem with basic cause-and-effect logic as well.

...and I have real essentials that could be paid with that money.

Yeah. Like that PS2 that's going to make Admins "obsolete".

Of course most people (including me) won't bother to donate,....

That was obvious from the beginning. Which begs the question: Why consider the advice of a fool?

...but if bonus incentives are given, plus wanting to share the love of the program, they just might.

You are amazing. You come up with all these things of how you can be pleased. You are delusional.

[B]Multiply that with the millions (possibly billions) of people who are thinking of downloading it.

At the start of this post you were rambling on about obsolescence, now you're saying that there are [B]BILLIONS of people who will use it. You are insane.

Multiply that by the numerous complaints I've been reading on these boards,...

You mean the people who people ask for help with courtesy, and are responded to..with equal courtesy?

[B]Don't bother responding just yet (don't lock it either).

So we can't tell you what to do (remember your "I'll do what I want thank you very much. comment), but [B]you can tell the admins and moderators what we can or cannot do?

Advice. Don't ever try to pull this kind of insanity outside the Internet (IE:the real world). The consequences will be a lot more than the loss of a registration.

Reply 8 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
New Raider wrote:

You got me wrong there. I wasn't threatening to boot you out. I was concerned that someone else had booted you out, and I didn't think that was right, because you haven't been abusive or anything.

Reply 9 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
New Raider wrote:

I want to be able to play the classic games that I enjoy (The TR series are the only ones that I like) in enhanced graphics, a sharp picture, and other things GLIDOS (apparently it has a small i) PROMISES to provide, but I also think games are getting much better these days, and if the entire Tomb Raider series can be on the PS2 and online, then I say **** the program,

I understand that view. "I'm not going to want to use this program for long so I wont buy it". What I don't understand is "I'm not going to want to use this program for long so the author should give it to me for free".

Actually any game you buy is really for a limited time. What about "I'm only going to watch this film for a couple of hours, I shouldn't have to pay for it"?

but since that won't happen for a while (at least not until TR8 comes out) I do want this capibility, but I have a limited expence which is not to say that I'm poor.

So these are choices we have to make. Is it worth to you? I think you have decided not.

everything GLiDOS provides can be found in console and console/online games.

Most of the games that Glidos supports look at there best when played under Glidos. That will probably remain true, because updated versions of the games will never be released. Certainly Core will never update any PS1 game for PS2.

A one off honestly. There is no money in these old games (even enough to support a lone developer like me). Companies can't afford to waste their time on old games.

For now, yes, I do want to get rid of the logo, but I've already paid for these things (which will eventually do the same thing),

Yes, if that were true, but it isn't It sounds like you care whether these old games live on, like in fact you are exactly the sort of person who should support the type of work we are doing. The big companies do not care, unless there is profit in it (not saying they should).

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm Click on the FREE download for the Bink Player. When you install, it will ask you to do […]
Show full quote

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm
Click on the FREE download for the Bink Player.
When you install, it will ask you to donate a few bucks.

But it doesn't. A lot of people that would be quite willing to pay would just not get around to it. I have experience of this. You are a good example, someone who would get use out of the program, but think its not worth $10.

The bottom line is it is my work. I can do what I like with it. I think you should respect my right to charge for it if that's what I want to do. I certainly respect your right not to decline to use it. All I've done is added to the possibilities you have. If Glidos didn't exist then there would be one less choice. As it does exist, you have the choice to buy it or not. I don't see that by developing it, I owe you anything.

Reply 12 of 14, by Unregistered (AKA New Rai

User metadata

Guys, get it straight, I never registered to begin with.

Glidos, I came here with a suggestion that wasn't meant to be anything more.
The fact that I'm saying "You should..." instead of "You can..." sounds more like an order I know, but an order is really "You will...", and I didn't mean it that way.
I wish everyone else could see that too.
You seem to be the only one who is nice to visiters.
The Mod before you (can't remember his username) said people here are courteous when responding to others, but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.
It was just a suggestion!

BTW, that thing about a threat, was meant for Snover.

Instead of telling you how I think it could be better as donationware, I'll tell you how I think it could be better as trialware.

The main complaint I've been reading (in other Websites) is the spinning logo in the center of the screen.
I understand it's on a timer, but it gets in the way of play.
Make it a floating window you can dock at the side of the desktop.
At the start of a new game (default position) it will be there.
Each time it starts loading a saved game, the window will pop out.
Before you start the first game, you can check a box to automatically close it.
This will make the window close when it's 90 percent finished loading (opens quickly, but closes slowly), so it won't interupt cool cutscenes.
At the top of the screen, there's a (stationary) long banner (width contoled by user) that includes a slider for popup and docking speed.
I understand your need for cookies (AKA spyware) in programs.
This slider area could be your cookie.
I understand your need for ads (AKA adware) in programs, which is why the nag is a popup.

Reply 13 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are you smoking? There is no spyware OR adware in the program. It's just an overlayed spinning logo. That HARDLY constitutes adware.

*puts on his camouflage and helmet*
Ladies and gentlemen, this is going to get ugly.

I'm going to play the chronological game. Not from the start, per sé, but at least from the start of this thread. Well, okay. I'll just jump around a bit. Try to stay with me.

New Raider:
How can I use GLIDOS free after 30 days?

Last I heard, Paul didn't implement any measures to prevent you from playing games with GLiDOS after thirty days, so to answer your obnoxiously nearsighted question, you already can.

New Raider:

Pay attention to who's talking, for God's sake. I said that, not him. Don't know if you actually noticed, but HERE's what he said:

Glidos:
No really. I hadn't given up on the guy. And he wasn't abusive or anything. Just held what seemed to most of us a strange point of view. Hope we haven't barred him for not agreeing with us.

I've come across people like that who have turned out to be really okay, and good allies.

Clearly much more generous than I, the mean, evil-hearted bastard of an admin I am. I mean, wow, threatening to ban you... and then revealing that you're from Tampa? That's gotta be against the law or something... because, hey, DitDat's from Littleton, so I guess I just broke the law again. And, oh yeah, my two cousins live in Dallas. Oops! Three times I've broken the law by telling people where other people live in! I mean, wow, the phone companies must have tonnes of law suits for publishing directories like this!

New Raider:

Whoawhoawhoawhoa... this is IRRELEVANT? How about instead of spending on a new PS2 game, you spend on GLiDOS and have to spend on your "electricty, phone bills, cable TV, and ... ISP"? Seems like a fair trade to me. Actually, while you're pestering Paul to give you a free version of GLiDOS, why not pester your cable company to give you their service for free? It costs more than , certainly, so why not try to get free shit out of them?

New Raider:
I do want to get rid of the logo, but I've already paid for these things (which will eventually do the same thing)

Well, then, let's wait until 'eventually' comes around, shall we? I mean, if you'd rather pay for the new l33t PS2 version instead of for GLiDOS, well, fuck it, it's your -.

New Raider:
Free unlimited tech support plus free game samples within the GLIDOS newsletter for donaters.
Free tech support for a year (75 cents per call) for non donaters.

Last I checked, there was no technical support number to call, there was no money being given to Paul by you to fund any possible "free game samples," and this was being programmed by only one person. Get real. The reason Amazon.com can offer such incentives is because they're a big company with lots of employees and, more importantly, lots of cashflow.

New Raider:
I just have alot of stuff to pay for and think the donation thing (see Bink Player example) would work for people like me. ...Of course most people (including me) won't bother to donate...

Do I really need to say any more?

New Raider:

How many units did Tomb Raider sell? About 17Mn, right? So, let's then just factor in one million illegitimate copies to get 18Mn. Now, let's assume that EVERY SINGLE DOS GLIDE GAME THAT HAS BEEN REPORTED SUCCESSFULLY USED WITH GLiDOS has sold the same number of units. That would be, well, four games. (We'll say that there's a fifth, since Red Baron 3D almost counts, since it almost uses GLiDOS.) That would be 90M units. So, there are 90Mn people out there with games that can be run with GLiDOS. Out of 6Bn people worldwide. Okay, so 1.5% of the world's population potentially owns a copy of a game that can be run with GLiDOS. But of course, this is all irrelevant since the GLiDOS website gets a (whopping) 120 hits per day, which is a lot lower than your projected "people thinking of downloading GLiDOS" figure of "millions". Oh, and by the way. Your IP was logged by a third-party when you went to download GLiDOS -- CQ COUNTER. "Oops."

In conclusion, goodbye. You can't expect to be treated well when you come in and start making demands and try to cheat Paul out of a well-deserved . I had more to say, but it appears that EditPad didn't save my final revisions properly (sucks because I was up 'till 1AM writing it), so oh well.

Paul:
You got me wrong there. I wasn't threatening to boot you out. I was concerned that someone else had booted you out, and I didn't think that was right, because you haven't been abusive or anything.

Well, Paul, I'm sorry to say, while he wasn't before, this guy is now on a one-way train to Ban City. (I gave him ample warning, but he just didn't heed it. Maybe he'll follow instructions next time.) Perhaps he'll get onto someone else's computer and try to flame me for a while. I'll just have some toasty new IP blocks to ban. I just pray that nobody in Tampa is going to have a problem accessing this site because this one hypocritical moron decided to act like he did. That would be the worst tragedy of all to come out of this.

Yes, it’s my fault.