VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jlperk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some problems running TR1 (gog verison) with GLIDOS. I'm on windows 10.

1.) GLIDOS logo is appearing even after using the two codes I have left for GLIDOS (I purchased the service). At first it did not appear, but within a couple seconds it permanently stays.

2.) Audio pack selected because other packs play nothing. No audio FX plays except for The Caves music and the same track seems to play in all the peru levels (I'm not sure if the original did that but I could be wrong.) The title music plays as well. I can't hear Lara or any other sound effects. FMV's don't have audio as well.

3.) Controller support doesn't work anymore and I downloaded joy2key and got some of the moves down, but it's hard to know what to configure the keyboard with because it just lists Button 1, Button 2, etc, and I don't know how my xbox controller translates to those options..it's kind of like guess and match. Agh.

4.) When playing in directX mode there are black borders on each side of the screen even with the widescreen / full screen options selected. This is fixed when I run in openGL mode, but I notice I can't use all the GLIDOS features and they are greyed out.

5.) When I select FMV pack and when the game reads a FMV I get a error message saying "download Microsoft codex" or something along those lines. The game works its just I can't view the FMV pack and FMVs play normal when I don't have that option selected, but they aren't the best quality.

Just want to play some TR1 because quite honestly it's the only one worth playing in the TR1+2+3 pack I purchased on gog!

Reply 1 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't help with the other problems, but...

jlperk wrote:

3.) Controller support doesn't work anymore and I downloaded joy2key and got some of the moves down, but it's hard to know what to configure the keyboard with because it just lists Button 1, Button 2, etc, and I don't know how my xbox controller translates to those options..it's kind of like guess and match. Agh.

The button numbers in JoyToKey usually follow the same order that the buttons are listed in the Control Panel Game Controllers app. Go to the Control Panel, run Game Controllers, click the Properties button and you should get a test window with the buttons listed. Press each one and note which number lights up. Make a little diagram which button corresponds to which number. They should be in the same order in JoyToKey.

If not, you can always just assign letters of the alphabet to each button in JoyToKey, then open Notepad and press the buttons. When you get an "A" you've found button 1, "B" for button 2 and so on.

There's also another program like JoyToKey called XPadder which has even more options. You can even load in an image of a controller and place the buttons where they belong to help you visually set up the controller. It's more complicated than JoyToKey though. Version 5.3 seems to be free, I believe newer versions have limits in them.

Reply 2 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jlperk wrote:

Some problems running TR1 (gog verison) with GLIDOS. I'm on windows 10.

Not sure if these are related to Windows 10. I've had a few reports of its being problem free from others.

1.) GLIDOS logo is appearing even after using the two codes I have left for GLIDOS (I purchased the service). At first it did not appear, but within a couple seconds it permanently stays.

You emailed me about Glidos saying "the clipboard does not contain a valid glidos code". Did you get past that problem? All bets are off until you get past that.

2.) Audio pack selected because other packs play nothing. No audio FX plays except for The Caves music and the same track seems to play in all the peru levels (I'm not sure if the original did that but I could be wrong.) The title music plays as well. I can't hear Lara or any other sound effects. FMV's don't have audio as well.

That one is strange. Sounds like TR1 is misconfigured. How did you install it?

I don't really know about the controller. It wasn't anything I ever intended to work in Glidos. It works by luck when it works.

4.) When playing in directX mode there are black borders on each side of the screen even with the widescreen / full screen options selected. This is fixed when I run in openGL mode, but I notice I can't use all the GLIDOS features and they are greyed out.

Black borders are intended. That's as good as it gets. TR1 can't generate the polygons outside the 4x3 area. The widescreen mode is there just so that you can use the monitor's native res, without having a long thin or short fat Lara.

5.) When I select FMV pack and when the game reads a FMV I get a error message saying "download Microsoft codex" or something along those lines. The game works its just I can't view the FMV pack and FMVs play normal when I don't have that option selected, but they aren't the best quality.

The fix for that is to download and install what the error message tells you to. 🤣

Just want to play some TR1 because quite honestly it's the only one worth playing in the TR1+2+3 pack I purchased on gog!

Hopefully we can sort this out. The audio problems are the most worrisome.

Reply 5 of 6, by jlperk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the border problem in Direct3D (psVoodoo) mode by changing the resolution to 1600x1200. Everything looks really nice, but why is there a freeze/delay at the start of each level or when I load up the inventory? There is like a 3-4sec delay. Also, the menu texts & health bar are not displayed when in direct3D mode. Any possible solution to this?

Everything runs fine in OpenGL mode, but for some reason the highest resolution I can run in this mode is 1280x1024. I've noticed in this mode the camera pans way out and Lara seems a bit wider. The widescreen inhibit mode change option is greyed out when OpenGL is selected.

Regardless, it's not a big issue, but I like how Direct3D looks better and the camera is closer to Lara and she appears more natural/ thin.

EDIT: No matter what mode I play in the GLIDOS logo appears in the Lara's Home training level. I just got to the lost valley and the GLIDOS logo just appeared??

And thank you Rekrul I got everything mapped to my controller as if I were playing on PSX! 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jlperk wrote:

I fixed the border problem in Direct3D (psVoodoo) mode by changing the resolution to 1600x1200. Everything looks really nice, but why is there a freeze/delay at the start of each level or when I load up the inventory? There is like a 3-4sec delay. Also, the menu texts & health bar are not displayed when in direct3D mode. Any possible solution to this?

There is no border problem. The black borders are supposed to be there. TR1 cannot display widescreen, so Glidos adds the borders to allow use of a native widescreen mode. The texts and health bar are not visible because you've made the resoltion bigger than your screen which has pushed bits of the display off screen.

Everything runs fine in OpenGL mode, but for some reason the highest resolution I can run in this mode is 1280x1024. I've noticed in this mode the camera pans way out and Lara seems a bit wider. The widescreen inhibit mode change option is greyed out when OpenGL is selected.

Everything does not run fine on a widescreen monitor in OpenGL. You'll have a short fat Lara.

Regardless, it's not a big issue, but I like how Direct3D looks better and the camera is closer to Lara and she appears more natural/ thin.

That's right. Direct3D will look better. Just set your res lower to bring the health bar back on screen and accept the black bars at the edge.

EDIT: No matter what mode I play in the GLIDOS logo appears in the Lara's Home training level. I just got to the lost valley and the GLIDOS logo just appeared??

Yes, well in my last post I asked you a question, which you have not answered.