VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

Just got Glidos, something I was thinking of for months, but I got some minor problems, nothing serious, but any suggestions are welcome.

First I got Tomb Raider to work just great, but after a couple of minutes the screen starts to flicker and trembling...

Sound works great, but everytime I shoot the screen twinkles also...

Then in Descent II I can customize my joystick at will by runing it in software mode, it even recognizes it as a Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback Pro, but with glidos, nothing happens, the joystick is´nt even recognized.
And the bigger trouble is that it bounces a lot ingame 🙁

So much that when I take my hand of it it starts spining around...
Does´nt happen in software mode...runs just fine...

My specs are:

Pentium III- 1Gig
Asus Geforce 3 Ti 500 (40.72 det.)
512 SDRam
Audigy Player
Asus Intel 815 Mobo
OS- WIn XP

Thanx in advance

JP
http://www.ravengames.com

Last edited by Col.J.P. on 2002-11-01, 18:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Col.J.P. wrote:

Hi guys

Just got Glidos, something I was thinking of for months, but I got some minor problems, nothing serious, but any suggestions are welcome.
[/B]

They sound prettt serious.

First I got Tomb Raider to work just great, but after a couple of minutes the screen starts to flicker and trembling... Sound […]
Show full quote

First I got Tomb Raider to work just great, but after a couple of minutes the screen starts to flicker and trembling...

Sound works great, but everytime I shoot the screen twinkles also...

Not sure what you mean by flicker, trembling and twinkles. There is an effect you get to do with expanding the resolution above 640x480 where all the textures dance a little as you move. This is unavoidable because TR generates coordinates only accurate to 640x480.

What you are seeing sounds a little different, and you say it is connected with shooting. Can you explain a little more what you are seeing.

Then in Descent II I can customize my joystick at will by runing it in software mode, it even recognizes it as a Microsoft Side […]
Show full quote

Then in Descent II I can customize my joystick at will by runing it in software mode, it even recognizes it as a Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback Pro, but with glidos, nothing happens, the joystick is´nt even recognized.
And the bigger trouble is that it bounces a lot ingame 🙁

So much that when I take my hand of it it starts spining around...
Does´nt happen in software mode...runs just fine...

It is not really Glidos that needs to recognise the joystick; it is D2_3dfx. Being an old DOS game, you may find it wont recognise USB joysticks. At leaset that is true for Windows 95/95/ME. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, and you have installed VDMSound, then it should work. I can run D2 with my SideWinder PP2, although I prefer mouse and keyboard.

When you say software mode, do you mean running the Windows version. That is completely different.

My specs are: Pentium III- 1Gig Asus Geforce 3 Ti 500 (40.72 det.) 512 SDRam Audigy Player Asus Intel 815 Mobo Thanx in adva […]
Show full quote

My specs are:

Pentium III- 1Gig
Asus Geforce 3 Ti 500 (40.72 det.)
512 SDRam
Audigy Player
Asus Intel 815 Mobo

Thanx in advance

JP
http://www.ravengames.com

A 1G PIII may be a bit under powered for running D2 under Glidos. Piping graphics commands from DOS to Windows is a real CPU/Memory basher.

What version of Windows?

Reply 2 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Not sure what you mean by flicker, trembling and twinkles. There is an effect you get to do with expanding the resolution above 640x480 where all the textures dance a little as you move. This is unavoidable because TR generates coordinates only accurate to 640x480."

I know what you mean. Liquid like textures.
That´s not it. It does´nt annoy me.
It´s the lower half of the screens that starts to blink(it gets white, and I can see the desktop for fractions of a sec) everytime the game accesses the CD drive. Its very disturbing, and after some minutes you´re crying wet tears and gained a headache!
Its not driver or sound related.
It seems to be a WinXP CD access feature...no idea...
Never seen anything like it before!

"It is not really Glidos that needs to recognise the joystick; it is D2_3dfx. Being an old DOS game, you may find it wont recognise USB joysticks. At leaset that is true for Windows 95/95/ME. If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, and you have installed VDMSound, then it should work. I can run D2 with my SideWinder PP2, although I prefer mouse and keyboard."

Its´not USB, but regular gameport joystick. My biggest problem is that I cannot bind any button...it does´nt answer at all.

"When you say software mode, do you mean running the Windows version. That is completely different."

Yes, not accelerated. In that way the game recognizes the joystick brand and model and I can customize rudder (z-axis), the hat to slide up and down, and the Weapon buttons !

"A 1G PIII may be a bit under powered for running D2 under Glidos. Piping graphics commands from DOS to Windows is a real CPU/Memory basher."

Well, framerate related its not that bad.
A Geforce 3 can help a lot.

"What version of Windows?"

Windows XP Home.

Thanx for your answer, but if this symptoms are not known, I doubt you can help me...
It´s my system problem, most likely!

Reply 3 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing is: I was not able to make a DOS install of Descent II.
It keep saying I had no HD space. With 2 gigs free.
So I made a regular windows installation, then the patch, then Glidos v.1.19! Maybe this is the problem?
So I don´t have mouse support in game.
It simply does´nt work.
I can run it, with the joystick (with only primary and secondary fire buttons working) and the keyboard.

About TR I´ve been playing it decently, even with the graphic glitches, it seems that the screen does´nt refresh entirely.
A refresh rate issue? I´ve been playing at 640x480 at 120Hz.

Reply 4 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Col.J.P. wrote:

The thing is: I was not able to make a DOS install of Descent II.
It keep saying I had no HD space. With 2 gigs free.
So I made a regular windows installation, then the patch, then Glidos v.1.19! Maybe this is the problem?

Maybe find somebody with Windows 98 and a CD writer. Install to there machine and make an image on a CD to copy to your machine (or if you have broadband, use email). It is apparently improtant to patch in two stages. There's a buf if you go straight to the final version. If you look at the web site where I say to pick up D2_3dfx then it is all explained there I think.

So I don´t have mouse support in game. It simply does´nt work. I can run it, with the joystick (with only primary and secondary […]
Show full quote

So I don´t have mouse support in game.
It simply does´nt work.
I can run it, with the joystick (with only primary and secondary fire buttons working) and the keyboard.

Glidos's mouse support works only when Glidos is running in full screen mode.

About TR I´ve been playing it decently, even with the graphic glitches, it seems that the screen does´nt refresh entirely. A r […]
Show full quote

About TR I´ve been playing it decently, even with the graphic glitches, it seems that the screen does´nt refresh entirely.
A refresh rate issue? I´ve been playing at 640x480 at 120Hz.

There is something very strange going on if you catch glimpses of the desktop. That should never be redrawn. Might be worth fiddling with the settings of your taskbar; having it "always on top" might be something to do with it.

Reply 5 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, will do.
I got another computer with a Voodoo 3 and Win98SE.
I can change the CD-RW install Descent II in there copy it to a CD and bring the folder back to this one.

I let you know if it worked.

Thanx

Reply 6 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Col.J.P. wrote:
Ok, will do. I got another computer with a Voodoo 3 and Win98SE. I can change the CD-RW install Descent II in there copy it to a […]
Show full quote

Ok, will do.
I got another computer with a Voodoo 3 and Win98SE.
I can change the CD-RW install Descent II in there copy it to a CD and bring the folder back to this one.

I let you know if it worked.

Thanx

Don't forget that doing this makes all the files read-only, and you have to make them writeable again.

Reply 8 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look, this guy (girl?) has the same problems with Tomb Raider:

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscus … &messageid=1117

Exactly as it is happening to me, but as I´m not a native english, I can´t express myself in a good manner.
(only that, in my case the flicker is constant, I wonder if it is related to the refresh rate, I´m runing it at 120Hz...)

This only happens in Full Screen.
I removed the VESASupport and it runs perfectly in a window...
But a strange thing happens, my desktop gets divided in half, with the upper portion totally white and the lower one with the desktop wallpaper...
Strange...
I can send you a screenie if you want to.

Or take a look here:

http://www.ravengames.com/images/newspics/031102.jpg

This lower portion of the desktop is the one that can be seen during the screen flickering in FullScreen Mode...

It works very good at 1024 in windowed mode, but now I don´t have any sound (or voices) in the ingame cutscenes (not the FMV´s)

Last edited by Col.J.P. on 2002-11-03, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 17, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What version of Descent 2 are you trying to install again?

My copy came as part of the "Infinite Abyss" package which came with the Windows version (and a special installer for it), a prepatched (1.2) copy of the DOS version, the Vertigo expansion pack and a map editor (as well as some demos for other titles) over two CDs.

Now, back when I ran Windows 2000 (and this is one of the reasons why I hate it so much) the installer for the Windows Descent 2 wouldn't work properly and the only way to get the Windows version installed was to install the DOS version and then install the Windows files (which could be downloaded from Interplay) seperately. I don't ever recall having any trouble with the DOS installer then...

I've only used the DOS installer a couple of times (while troubleshooting why D2 wouldn't use resolutions above 320x240) under XP (Professional though), thanks to Microsoft making the Windows installer work properly, don't recall having any trouble with it there either...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 10 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Descent I & II: The Definitive Collection from Interplay, a couple of years ago. A collection of 3 CD´s.
It came with a Windows installer for both of them, the original Descent levels, Descent: Levels of the World (thousands of them...), Descent II: Vertigo Series and the Descent Mission Builder II.
Descent II is version 1.2...
I can install it fine with the windows installer, no trouble at all.
But, somehow, when I try to install it from the DOS command prompt, as Paul instructs in Glidos.net, it says I don´t have enough hard disk space, to install 250 megs, with a couple of gigs free...
Dunno why!
Gonna try to do it with a lower install first, if it does´nt work, I will install it under windows 98 and copy it to XP.

Last edited by Col.J.P. on 2002-11-03, 16:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the same version. I'll install it again to make sure but doesn't the Windows install also copy the DOS files? If so then your set. I never had a problem with the DOS installer either but I may be confusing it with when I used the DOS installer in VPC.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem is not in the installation.
I solved that issue by now:D
I followed Paul´s instructions and made a medium installation.
It is working great!
But the joystick problem maintains.
I should have thought of that, since it´s only a DOS install, winXP does´nt have drivers for the Sidewinder FF Pro.
So it only works with two axis and two buttons.
No harm done...
I can play very well like that;)
And in 640x480 I can get a decent framerate!

Reply 15 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Paul, I did´nt fix anything, but found out where my troubles came from.
So I´m set.
Thanx a lot for everything.
The flickering screen from Tomb Raider is related to the CDROM drive.
I knew it from the very begining.
Now I´m sure of it.
I tried to run every single game I have with CDROM in drive, and it happened in all of them, in OpenGL, not in Direct3D.
Dunno why.
Both Quake I & II have the same exact problem with the screen when I run them with the CD, but not without it.

I cannot run TR without the CD, though.
I wonder why this only happens in fullscreen and NOT in a window of almost the same size of the screen?????

Reply 17 of 17, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´ll find a solution, sooner or later!
We always do.
One way or another, things get straight, don´t they?
Maybe I´ll check the detonator drivers more carefully.
I let you know, soon as I find out. 😉

Thanx for everything.
I´m having a great time with Tomb Raider.
Playing it for the first time in my life, and I´m loving the little bastard!
It was the only one in the Tomb Raider series that was missing.
I´ll be around
😀

Last edited by Col.J.P. on 2002-11-06, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.