VOGONS

Common searches

blood on glidos

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 181 of 196, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Also I have found out why the sound has trouble with blood, all the sound files are in RAW format which is old and new sound cards have a different style of sample rate so it either doesnt work at all or doesn’t sound good
and they obviously dont work right on SBLive! and up sound cards

Up until I gave my SB Live card away, BLOOD, DukeNukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, RRRA, and Shadow Warrior all ran fine in Win98 with all possible voices at the highest sampling rate available without problems. The only issue was a compatibility problem with the "reverb" effect and PCI sound cards.

I have had issues with audio in XP, but that has to do with the way BUILD access the sound card (as is already commonly known).

Reply 182 of 196, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know, I never recall having the reverb issue in either SW (although this may be because I only had the demo back when I ran 98) or DN3D on my SBLive! is there anything in particular that causes it?

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 183 of 196, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

You know, I never recall having the reverb issue in either SW ... or DN3D on my SBLive! is there anything in particular that causes it?

According to Mr. Silverman, "Apparently, there is a conflict with Jim Dose's echo routines and newer sound cards. It's not fair to blame him since these new sound cards didn't exist back in 1996. I don't know why it crashes."

I will say that it's not 100% consistent across-the-board. I've actually heard the reverb audio effect numerous times without a crash, but I've also had numerous "drop-to-desktop" situations.

In BLOOD, attempting to grab the reflective sphere was a guaranteed drop-to-desktop for me.

"Shadow Warrior" is supposedly troublesome in these areas:
* Episode 1, Level 1: In the pool
* Episode 1, Level 1: On the train tracks (near the end of the level)

Reply 184 of 196, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.planetblood.com/bloodsource/files.shtml

Arjan's 3dfx batch file

This is a tweak to get the blood 3dfx patch to work on the voodoo 2 video cards from what I understand. The Blood 3dfx patch only was in the alpha stage (barely done) and only worked on the voodoo 1 hardware.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetbl … e/arjan3dfx.zip

Bleh, it's on fileplanet but never fear! It's on old.fileplanet!. Going to compile all the blood file's we need into a list along with the info.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 185 of 196, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

I know the blood sound files are in RAW format and the music is midi (use bloods barf.exe to extract all soundfx from sounds.rff) and they obviosly dont work right on SBLive! and up sound cards

It's faulty reasoning though. Just because the sound files are in a strange format doesn't mean THAT is what breaks the audio. Where did you hear that was the reason? Please provide a link?

Or did you assume? You know what happens when you assume... you make an ASS out of U and ME. 😉

Reply 186 of 196, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

http://www.planetblood.com/bloodsource/files.shtml

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetbl … e/arjan3dfx.zip

Bleh, it's on fileplanet but never fear! It's on old.fileplanet!. Going to compile all the blood file's we need into a list along with the info.

Interesting. Paul, he's setting this:
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=0
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=0

While your batch sets this:
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=1
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=1

I wonder why?

Additionally, he sets the rest of the 3dfx BUILD engine settings.

Paul said he could "improve" the sky, too. I'd recommend against embellishment unless you do it in a separate program from GliDOS if I were you - who knows what problems you could cause with other games later...

BTW, here's an alternate non-FilePlanet download site (which I found using Google, once I knew the filename of the patch.)
http://freshmeat.netc.pt/pub/planetquake/plan … c/arjan3dfx.zip

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 187 of 196, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=1

Surely this is still the best setting, as this caches textures in RAM.
setting it to =0 , will cache them to disk and actually makes the game slower. Try it and see.

Also, the set BUILD_RESAMPLE=1 , seems like a LOD setting ?
i.e Point sampling, for a more grainy look.

And why use a batch file to make it run on a voodoo2 ?
Glidos is emulating a voodoo1, so what is gained there ?

FWIW, a voodoo2 to voodoo1 batch file should include these lines

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 188 of 196, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Interesting. Paul, he's setting this: set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=0 set BUILD_RESAMPLE=0 […]
Show full quote

Interesting. Paul, he's setting this:
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=0
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=0

While your batch sets this:
set BUILD_CONVTEXTURES=1
set BUILD_RESAMPLE=1

I wonder why?

I can't get any effect out of RESAMPLE. It seems to do nothing for me.

CONVTEXTURES=1 on the other hand is essential for running under Glidos, at the moment.

Additionally, he sets the rest of the 3dfx BUILD engine settings. Paul said he could "improve" the sky, too. […]
Show full quote

Additionally, he sets the rest of the 3dfx BUILD engine settings.

Paul said he could "improve" the sky, too.

Not the sky. I don't know what is wrong with the sky. The thing
I could do is make it so that you can alter the Glidos resolution (up to 1240x1024) and also get linear interpolation in both x and y. At the moment interpolation of the walls is only in the vertical.

I'd recommend against embellishment unless you do it in a separate program from GliDOS if I were you - who knows what problems you could cause with other games later...

It would probably be a different version of Glide2x.ovl, which would get used only if BuildEngineHack: Yes was defined in the ini file.

Reply 189 of 196, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

Not the sky. I don't know what is wrong with the sky. The thing
I could do is make it so that you can alter the Glidos resolution (up to 1240x1024) and also get linear interpolation in both x and y. At the moment interpolation of the walls is only in the vertical.

It would probably be a different version of Glide2x.ovl, which would get used only if BuildEngineHack: Yes was defined in the ini file.

I dont think u can fix the sky problem, 3dfx never got the parallaxing right, I ran it on a voodoo1 and those lines were still there.

And theres still a graphics problem on winxp

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-11-21, 05:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 190 of 196, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

I dont think u can fix the sky problem, 3dfx never got the parallaxing right, I ran it on a voodoo1 and those lines were still there.

Thought as much. Useful test, thanks.

And theres still a graphics problem on winxp

What are they. Is it the problem where I said "Ah yes, that's exactly what I get when the resolutions don't match"?

Reply 192 of 196, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

both glidos and blood are on the same resolution 640x480 and blood still has trouble eraseing the textures, it's obviosly a winXP problem because blood work fine with the same graphics card on win98

I'm pretty certain its the resolution. I expect it is either because the BUILD_640X480=1 setting is being lost, or because Blood is failing to read its own config file. Either way, you'd get blood running at its default res... hang on, if what I say is true then you would expect to see 640x480 in the Glidos server window.
Have you checked that?

Reply 194 of 196, by Unregistered

User metadata
Glidos wrote:

I'm pretty certain its the resolution. I expect it is either because the BUILD_640X480=1 setting is being lost, or because Blood is failing to read its own config file. Either way, you'd get blood running at its default res... hang on, if what I say is true then you would expect to see 640x480 in the Glidos server window.
Have you checked that?

On my winxp im running gldvesa and nolfb atthe same time (without nolfb glidos runs at 512x384 resolution) and even with nolfb it looks the same as always but its running at 640x480

and whats this
vesa mode: x100 in the glidos window

Reply 195 of 196, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure that the SET commands are taking when you have GLDVESA and NOLFB enabled? GLDVESA takes up massive amounts of conventional memory with prevented the SET commands from executing. Put a PAUSE statement after the SET commands in your blood.bat and see if any errors come up when executing blood with Glidos.

and if this works I'm gonna kill ya since I stated all this a couple of threads back...... 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline