VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ghostface_Killah

User metadata

OK, I installed the latest version of Glidos (v1.19). Am using Windows 98 SE.

Then I installed GTA itself (tested with Sold Out release, DOS version installed).

Adjusted Glidos.ini to point to my GTA directory, ran Glidos and chose to run GTA from it.

Chose my character, the start city, and prepared to start the game.

Black screen. Time passes....

Started to work out that it wasn't progressing at all, despite Glidos being enabled. I wasn't even getting that "no-3Dfx-card" error thing that would've at least allowed me to quit out of the game safely. Instead I had to reset the whole computer, as CTRL-ALT-DEL and many other key combos wouldn't work.

I'm quite puzzled..... what exactly am I doing wrong? I followed all the instructions as far as I can see.

And I looked at the GTA screenshot on the Glidos website, and had to ask.... is that a window the game is running in? I couldn't get GTA to run in a window either.

Hope you can help me out with this one, thanks very much. 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first few splash screens and menu screens in GTA don't use Glide; they use VESA. For this, under Windows 98, you are relying on the VESA support of your Video card. If the game sticks trying to display the first splash screen, pressing ESC should break into the menus, but if your VESA support is bad, that may not help.

Glidos has some support for VESA, but that works only in Windows 2000 and XP, so that doesn't really help you.

I must admit I can't make GTA work under Windows 98 here at the moment, although it did before, and it still works fine under Windows 2000. It seems to be very tempermental about the CD drive. Did you install the No-CD patch?

Reply 2 of 3, by ReeS

User metadata

i finally got gta to work on my comp with windows 98. i dont know if this will work for everyone but when i run it in an 800x600 window, and after i chose the city to play, the screen went black with a blinking line at the top. i just pressed alt+enter and it worked. damn that spinning logo is annoying!

Reply 3 of 3, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The blinking line is the text-entry cursor of the DOS screen. For some reason the DOS side is being left in fullscreen mode. Pressing <ALT><ENTER> tells the DOS emulator to go back to windowed mode, and that allows you to see the Glidos display, which was previously hidden by the DOS window.