VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Started using Glidos and I have a few issues with the following games

Carmageddon - Plays in OpenGL fine but Direct3D causes the HUD to go blank as well as the pause menu

Redguard - Very choppy framerate (about 10fps or less), especially in large areas

Blood - Framerate drops when facing any open areas, even a corridor

Is there anyway to get around these problems?

Also, mouse input sometimes sticks. Is there a fix for this too?

My system specs
AMD FX-8350 8-Core processor
AMD Radeon RX 560 graphics card
16GB RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Reply 1 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The settings under "Extras" can make a lot of performance difference in some games, but if your settings are based on the defaults for each game then I doubt changing them will help. I think perhaps these problems were always present. The mouse problem I was unaware of. Glidos has a very complicated system for routing the mouse events that occur on the Windows side 3D display window to the DOS game. I'd guess there's a bug in there somewhere. I took a quiclk look at some of the code. I don't any longer understand it. 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. Carmageddon I can play in OpenGL with the cost of not being able to use "Inhibit mode change". Blood is playable anyway despite the frame-drops. My biggest concern is Redguard, I thought it would be smoother than it is, Screamer 2 is more playable than Redguard. The mouse may be due to the frame drops but not entirely sure on that.

Also, I think the psVoodoo 0.15 file should be in the main Glidos download. The Inhibit mode change function is more useful in that. Although since unlock codes are free now, does this mean Glidos is no longer in development?

Just to note, I was the one sending the emails to you recently, I registered here as more people can see this.

Reply 3 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah, it's been so long, I'd forgotten. It's a pain to not have "Inhibit mode change" and it's not supported by OpenGlide. psVoodoo, on the other hand, hasn't been updated to handle all that the various games need.

Not sure what's going on with Redguard. I used to find it definitely playable. I do remember Cyrus would every now and then seem like he was walking through mud. That was a while ago. You'd think with the increase in graphics and compute speeds made since Glidos's hay day, things would be better.

It's definitely no longer in development. Looks like I haven't touched the code of the main app since 2013.

Reply 5 of 8, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought so. Redguard could just naturally be choppy. Quite surprised you made Glidos free to unlock now but it's a good thing. Maybe the "Buy Glidos" link shoudl be changed to something else, maybe like "Register Glidos" or something with a donation link as an option.

I can't play Tower of Babel as I have no hand-held device but it looks pretty cool.

Reply 7 of 8, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That may be better. It came in useful for playing through TR1 to make myself a collection of saves for the original non-ati patched version of the game.

Something reassuring about Redguard. It is playable despite the choppiness but 12 fps when facing a wall is a little odd (about 8fps in the open). I mean Carmageddon runs at about 12-15fps but it's less noticeable there.

Reply 8 of 8, by Opaque79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, how do I get Carmageddon to recognise the GAME.DAT file as a disc image (it's what the GOG version uses for music and movies, unlike TR1 which uses GAME.GOG). Glidos simply won't mount it.

Blood and Screamer 2 worked fine in this manmer