VOGONS

Common searches

Blood on W2K and XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is just not going to get sorted, unless people with working and non-working copies get together, and swap Blood folders. That's all we need to do, I think. We'd soon find out if the difference is graphics card, Blood version, cfg file, ini file, whatever.

I can't take part in this because I'm on a silly 56K modem here.

Reply 1 of 36, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't sweat it, Paul. Like you said, too many variables. We'll get back with you on this eventually.

Heh. If you want to torture yourself, you could always try to get "StarFighter 3000" (sometimes just called StarFighter) from 3D0 and see if the 3dfx option works with GliDOS. Heh.

Programmers put minimum effort into porting this one from the console, but I still like it. It hates NT in any case.

Reply 2 of 36, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Don't sweat it, Paul. Like you said, too many variables. We'll get back with you on this eventually.

Heh. If you want to torture yourself, you could always try to get "StarFighter 3000" (sometimes just called StarFighter) from 3D0 and see if the 3dfx option works with GliDOS. Heh.

Programmers put minimum effort into porting this one from the console, but I still like it. It hates NT in any case.

I'd like to see that too. I have a thing about 3DO games...

POD first, though. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not the .cfg.

The only thing they need to worry about there is.

1. Disable sound. (In all OS's just to be safe)
2. Use VESA 640X480 or use no VESA.
3. Verify that resolutions in Blood & GliDOS match.
4. Use NOLFB in blood.bat before the SET statements. MAKE SURE BLOOD.BAT IS STARTING IN FULL SCREEN (SET BY Settinging Glidos.ini to DOSVESA=1, if NOLFB does not work then use GLDVESA..
5. Veryify that SET statements are completing and not erroring out by setting a PAUSE statement after the SET statements in the blood.bat. Then try to run blood.
6. Patch Blood with the 3dfx patch. 🙄
7. Use the version of Openglide packaged with Glidos v1.19. There should be no reason to use any other version.
8. Use the Blood files that Paul posted.

Just pulled these off the top of my head. Going to review the Blood threads and get it more organized but basically the above it what ya need....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:
It's not the .cfg. […]
Show full quote

It's not the .cfg.

The only thing they need to worry about there is.

1. Disable sound. (In all OS's just to be safe)
2. Use VESA 640X480 or use no VESA.
3. Verify that resolutions in Blood & GliDOS match.
4. Use NOLFB in blood.bat before the SET statements. MAKE SURE BLOOD.BAT IS STARTING IN FULL SCREEN (SET BY Settinging Glidos.ini to DOSVESA=1, if NOLFB does not work then use GLDVESA..
5. Veryify that SET statements are completing and not erroring out by setting a PAUSE statement after the SET statements in the blood.bat. Then try to run blood.
6. Patch Blood with the 3dfx patch. 🙄
7. Use the version of Openglide packaged with Glidos v1.19. There should be no reason to use any other version.
8. Use the Blood files that Paul posted.

Just pulled these off the top of my head. Going to review the Blood threads and get it more organized but basically the above it what ya need....

Good advice I'm sure, but still you (and maybe one other) can make it work, so perhaps it is that little change you made to your copy years ago and forgot about.

Do you have broadband? If you zip up your copy and send it to someone (with broadband) who has a non-working copy, then straight away we learn a lot.

Reply 6 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

It gets confusing working on several games at a time. With Blood so close, I'd really like to finish it off.

Reply 8 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

I've tested my version of blood on winXP and win98, Win98 worked but since winXP need gldvesa and isnt really vesa 2.0 its got problems.
Paul I think u should work on gldvesa and then send me it, I still got graphics and framerate problems on WinXP

What problems does it have? Can you actually get to the stage of playing the game under WinXP.

There are people that have it working under WinXP, and they aren't using a special version of gldvesa, so having me make random swipes at the code in that area probably isn't the best way forward.

What we need is one computer with two copies of Blood, one that works one that doesn't; then we can compare and find out the difference. That is likely to happen only if people start exchanging copies.

Reply 9 of 36, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

It gets confusing working on several games at a time. With Blood so close, I'd really like to finish it off.

Paul, I was kidding about StarFighter.

This is what I was figured was gonna happen when you put all that effort into making "Red Baron 3D" work properly. Now, everyone wants you to make their personal favorite work with "bells and whistles".

BTW, I have an ADSL connection and v1.21 of BLOOD (One Whole Unit).

Reply 10 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now now stop exageratting.

Unregistered said

I have been trying to run blood 3dfx using glidos,
I can get the start screen to come up but its all distorted and that annoying "glidos" logo come up and crashes!

Is it the logo that crashes the game or the game itself?

That doesn't even come close to "bells and whistles".

The only sense of urgency is that imposed by Paul himself. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 36, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Unregistered said That doesn't even come close to "bells and whistles".

Nope, you're comparing 3dfx-enhanced to the original, so it qualifies (although, if it's as "fuzzy" as the results I had with "Shadow Warrior-3dfx", I'll have to use another word).

The only sense of urgency is that imposed by Paul himself. 😉

Heh. Programmers. They seem evenly divided between "egomaniacs" and "gluttons-for-punishment". I still can't get over that whole RedBaron3D thing. Hey Paul, I've got this Apple II version of Zaxxon, could you get that to work in GliDOS for me? heh.

Reply 13 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Heh. Programmers. They seem evenly divided between "egomaniacs" and "gluttons-for-punishment". I still can't get over that whole RedBaron3D thing. Hey Paul, I've got this Apple II version of Zaxxon, could you get that to work in GliDOS for me? heh.

Its just such a shame to see these games going into disuse, and so satisfying to tease them back to life, sometimes making them look better than ever they did in their day. Probably the same thing that drives you to spend hours trying lots of subtley different configurations, applying various tools like NOLFB etc.

Reply 15 of 36, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glidos wrote:

Probably the same thing that drives you to spend hours trying lots of subtley different configurations, applying various tools like NOLFB etc.

That's true, but I'm no programmer. And yes, there are even some old Apple II titles that I want perfectly preserved. I'd especially like to fiind a nice Apple II emulator that had Mockingboard support so I could hear the original Ultima tunes in all their 6-channel FM glory. (ApplePC is the closest)

Reply 16 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

That's true, but I'm no programmer. And yes, there are even some old Apple II titles that I want perfectly preserved. I'd especially like to fiind a nice Apple II emulator that had Mockingboard support so I could hear the original Ultima tunes in all their 6-channel FM glory. (ApplePC is the closest)

See, you're as obsessive as I am, without having the excuse of being a programmer. 😁

Reply 18 of 36, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

are there any glide2x.dll s out there designed for winxp (besides glide2xp that didnt work) that work on glidos?

It is extremely unlikely that the problem is in Glide2x.dll. This would be the first time that it behaved differently under WinXP. Of course, anything is possible, but it seems far more likely that Blood itself is responding differently.