Common searches

Fix for Blood

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think I've sussed the graphics anomalies. Here are a couple of files. Glidos.exe is a new version of Glidos with some hardwired hacks specifically for Blood. The hacks probably wont show any noticable effects in other games. Glide2x.ovl is a new Glide driver for Glidos; the only change there is it gives fuller support for the mouse in Blood (buttons aswell as movement).

The 3dfx version of Blood does some strange things. It isn't surprising that sometimes the graphics were messed up. Not only does it build the whole seen from long thin triangles, but also it doesn't bother to set the texture coordinates on one of the apexes.

The new version of Glidos turns these triangles into rectangles, and sets the missing texture coordinates. This also means you can set Glidos to higher resoltuions without problem, although the advantages of doing so aren't as apparent as in most games.

Attachments

• Filename
    bloodright.zip
    File size
    170.95 KiB
    Downloads
    438 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 51, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NOOOOOOOO! DOESN'T WORK! (But at least it looks nice and sharp for the .5 seconds it runs 😉)

oh, by the way, WHY is the GliDOS logo still there? I even generated my OWN CODES and ... gah. Death.

Still gives the same stupid crappy window with grey boxes on it. Arrgh. Maybe updating my graphics drivers will help. I meant to do that earlier to fix SDL problems. I'm just lazy like that.

Attachments

• nutters.jpg
    Filename
    nutters.jpg
    File size
    27.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 51, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover GWEEE!!! /me goes off to test the patch

See? You jinxed yourself. Test first, before expressing victory. (BTW, this also why I specified that it worked on my Win98 and XP. )

Reply 5 of 51, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some stuff:

Using GliDOS hacked VESA support it sounds like I get music output as well as audio output. That, however, makes stuff mostly white. Mipmapping just screws everything up. Touching audio setup crap (# channels, mix frequency) didn't fix anything. Argh. Still screwed in Win2K.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 51, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

NOOOOOOOO! DOESN'T WORK! (But at least it looks nice and sharp for the .5 seconds it runs 😉)

Yeh, my changes wont help people for which it fails to run or
crashes. It is only the graphics anomalies. I have some trouble under XP. I start it from Glidos, so the various files get copied across, but that doesn't always work, so sometimes I then double-click the blood.bat file.

oh, by the way, WHY is the GliDOS logo still there? I even generated my OWN CODES and ... gah. Death.

Ah, you ddidn't think that copy of Authgen had my true private key in it did you? 😀

Still gives the same stupid crappy window with grey boxes on it. Arrgh. Maybe updating my graphics drivers will help. I meant to do that earlier to fix SDL problems. I'm just lazy like that.

Pretty sure the grey box is where a window has closed uncovering an area after the program has died (so the area doesn't get rerendered). Wonder what window it was; looks the size of the VDMSound hint box, but I'd very much doubt you had that enabled.

Reply 9 of 51, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Some stuff:

Using GliDOS hacked VESA support it sounds like I get music output as well as audio output. That, however, makes stuff mostly white. Mipmapping just screws everything up. Touching audio setup crap (# channels, mix frequency) didn't fix anything. Argh. Still screwed in Win2K.

Win2k? You are doing much better than me on Win2K. I just get background with no menus. And it fails reading the .dem headers if I don't delete the .dem files.

Reply 11 of 51, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos What's the turbo pascal fix? Sounds useful.

Probably TPPATCH or CTBPPAT or a similar to fix programs that break with "runtime" errors. For BLOOD though, that should only be needed for the CRYPTIC.EXE for "Cryptic Passages", though.

Reply 15 of 51, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would hold off on that. There still seems to be too much inconsistency of results. The sky artifacts will always be there. I'm willing to bet it would become a support headache.

Perhaps a side-note mentioning it.

Reply 16 of 51, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's more I want to do for Blood, anyway. I think I can get linear interpolation in both axis. It should be possible to collect together the little rectangles into large quadrilaterals and recalculate the perspective for the texture mapping. I don't know why the 3dfx porter didn't do that... maybe it isn't possible, but I'm going to give it a try.

Reply 19 of 51, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That shouldn't matter. The graphics are exported to OpenGlide so Running in Full/Windows wouldn't matter a bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline