VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does GLhexen2 work on glidos? I think its only designed for a 3dfx opengl version😕 😕

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 1 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty certain that there is a port of the source to Windows and OpenGL. It's very unlikely that there would be any advantage to using Glidos over a well done port of the source. You might want to look at GLquake or JDoom; one or other will lead you to Hexen.

Hang on, I think GLHexen is the port to OpenGL. It should just work without any need for Glidos.

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gah! People, it's GliDOS....DOS. Hexen II is a Windows-only title. GliDOS is for running DOS 3dfx titles in Windows.

Suggest you check the NewHexen source-port at:
http://www.raven-games.com/hosted/newhexen/

Reply 3 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BUT - you could take a game, set it to look for the 3dfx minigl.dll, and then put OpenGlide in the same directory to wrap the Glide calls to OpenGL. eVoodoo has already proved they can do this with certain minigl.dll's and the latest, private version of eVoodoo (check their forums).

Not sure why you'd want to do this with OpenGlide. eVoodoo has reasons (some video cards have better Direct3D drivers than they do OpenGL drivers, not sure if there's ever the reverse)... and also, most games that use the miniGL will also gladly use a full openGL ICD or a non-3dfx minigl.dll...

Curious to hear Duffman's reasons. But yeah, NewHexen should be a good one. Maybe Duffman's mind was still thinking about Blood. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 8, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If he's talking specifically about Hexen2, then that works with any OpenGL compliant video card.
TNT
TNT2
Geforce /2/3/4
Radeon

etc..

I know, I got the game, and I played it only 2 months ago.

If he means Hexen1 part2, then the only way of playing that is with the Jdoom ports using the Doomsday frontend.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 5 of 8, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sorry!, I meant GLhexen1 I made a type fault!:D 😁

what about GLquake is that the same

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman I meant GLhexen1...

Well, there was a source port of Hexen by the name of GlHexen; but it hasn't been updated for a looong time (in fact, the programmer has quit). Recommend that you check another source port at:
http://www.doomworld.com/ports/windows.shtml

My primary recommendation would be JHexen at:
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

No. Hexen was based on the DOOM engine. Quake (and Hexen II) were based on the original QUAKE engine.

Reply 7 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Duffman wrote:

See my post. Anyhow, search our forums for "Quake" and you'll see advice as to what the favorite Quake engine modifications are. I believe Tenebrae is quite popular.

So - no need for GLQuake. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto I believe Tenebrae is quite popular.

Tenebrae is fascinating technically, but it has the side effect of making everything look as if it were encased in some form of vinyl. It's also a framerate killer.

So far my favorite has been TomazQuake, but I always keep GLQuake.exe in the directory in case of any compatibility issues.