VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hello,

Just tried to install TR1 and faced the following error message:

"Can not find *Laserlok* CD_ROM in any drive"

I followed exactly the instruction rules of the Glidos Homepage.

Any ideas?
V_Raptor

Reply 1 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Any ideas?

Yes, and they're all bad news.

1) Your CD-ROM drive is "flaky" and can't handle the copy-protection on the CD.
or

2) Your "Tomb Raider" CD is defective

or

3) Your CD is not an original, but a bad copy of "Tomb Raider".

Those are the only reasons I can think of...

Reply 2 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

@ nicht sehr gut

Thanks for your reply but let me answer as well:

1.) I tried with 2 different computers and 3 different CD-Drives: same result!

2.) No, CD-Rom is OK, I've had it installed on a Windows Me system a few months ago

3.) I can guarantee you that this is an original TR1, but a german one

I forgot to say that both of my computers are running with Windows XP and the harddrives are NTFS formatted.

Regards
V_Raptor

Reply 3 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have any idea what laserlok is? Is it German for anything? Otherwise it looks like something other than the TR installer is running.

I know TR doesn't like empty drives with drive letters below the one the TR CD is in. So an empty ZIP drive can upset it.

Generally XP is fine.

Reply 4 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, LaserLok is copy-protection. Notorious for causing trouble when everything isn't "just right".

Despite what Unregistered said, anything less than an ideal setting can trigger problems: scratch, smudge, CD-Rom out-of-tolerance.

There is one other possibility. There's always the chance that XP has a bug that refuses to let the German version of TR install.

If so, the next question would be: Is this true just for the German version of XP? or is it Universal (all XP's)?

Reply 5 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Unfortunately, LaserLok is copy-protection. Notorious for causing trouble when everything isn't "just right".

There are work-arounds for removing it. Use Google.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hang on though: I had to burn myself a new disc the other day with a couple of files altered, and it worked. That would usually make copy protection barf. Admittedly I didn't install from the new disc.

Could it be that the German version is copy protected and others not. Seems unlikely.

Reply 7 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Could it be that the German version is copy protected and others not. Seems unlikely.

At the risk of over-generalizing, anything's possible.

I've seen numerous posts about how some people couldn't get "Driver" (the game) to work properly in XP no matter what they did, whereas mine worked flawlessly from the start.

Reason? I had the re-release with no copy-protection on it.

Reply 8 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that is the problem, he would be okay if he could just get the thing installed, because he will be using the downloaded voodoo version of Tomb.exe which is known to work on the non copyprotected discs.

Here's an idea. Drag all the files off the CD to a folder. Replace the INSTALL.EXE file with mine, which I've attached, and then burn the files back onto a new CD. Worth a go.

Attachments

• Filename
    install.exe
    File size
    209.26 KiB
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or make an image of the CD with CloneCD and load the image with Daemon Tools or Alcohol.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If proper CloneCD settings are used to copy the image or if you do not wish to worry about that but just want to copy the image without worrying about settings and then check the "LaserLok" option under Emulation in Daemon Tools to Emulate "LaserLok"...

Reply 13 of 17, by V_Raptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ all: Thanks for the replys and the discussion.

(Went through the registration in the meantime)

I just tried to make an image and burn a copy of the original CD-Rom (ClonyXXL and CloneCD) but writing failed.

So I will try now the next hints, e.g. Gildos idea: drag files and replace install.exe

I'll keep you informed

V_Raptor

Reply 14 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the CD may be defective, I sure as heck don't remember any copy protection in TR1 and the game is so old it really doesn't make any sense for it to be there.... Gonna go check my NT Game list and whip ou the CD.
BRB

Reply 16 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V_Raptor, try using "Blindwrite Suite" to make an image of the disc. Be sure to include subchannel info and save it as a BIN/CUE or ISO. Also make sure that you use "Nibble" mode. I haven't had any problems with Blindwrite Suite except for with a deeply scratched CD that I couldn't recover from the bitbucket (which is a shame, since it is a very, VERY, VERY old and impossible to come by program, TR-i: No World Order). Note that it MAY give you bad sector errors, because that's how a lot of copy-protection schemes work. It'll also take a while, so be patient. When you're done, load it into Daemon Tools or some junk and then try THAT. However, like DosFreak, I'm beginning to suspect you've got damaged goods.

Yes, it’s my fault.