VOGONS

Common searches

wrong version of "Tomb.exe"???

Topic actions

First post, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to Roboform I'm now registered as fridgeraider, not PATHETIC WHINGER, (or even Fridge Raider), so now I cannnot whinge eponymously, anonymously or with impunity.

I'm not a programmer - DOS is the Spanish word for 2 to me 🙄

However, I installed Glidos ages ago before finally buying a cheap TR1 CD yesterday (Soldout Software label UK)

I managed to install TR1 but Glidos will not run it. It says:

>>>>>Wrong version of "Tomb.exe".
>>>>>See installation instructions

2 questions:

1) How come this isn't the right version of "Tomb.exe"?

I never played TR1 - it's very dark... if I can't get Glidos to work
2) how can I adjust gamma/light in the game anyway?

I have read thro' all the pages that come with the Glidos installer & Dracman site but it all sounds a bit complicated and beyond me - it shouldn't be because I have Windows 98 OS

Everyone says the first game was the best but I started with TR2 and so then I found TR1 graphics comparitively dissappointing... when I heard about Glidos I thought this would be magic - I really would like to play TR1 *sigh*

A pair of glasses go up to the bar and ask for a drink ~ The barman says, "Sorry sir, I can't serve you - your'e off your face!".

Reply 1 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by fridgeraider I managed to install TR1 but Glidos will not run it. It says: >>>>>Wrong version of "Tomb.exe […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by fridgeraider I managed to install TR1 but Glidos will not run it. It says:

>>>>>Wrong version of "Tomb.exe".
>>>>>See installation instructions

2 questions:

1) How come this isn't the right version of "Tomb.exe"?

I have read thro' all the pages that come with the Glidos installer & Dracman site but it all sounds a bit complicated and beyond

Odds are you skimmed through the documentation as opposed to reading it.

On both his site and in your documentation at the top left is a label that says "Installation". Click that.

You will then see the documentation on how to install GliDOS for use with Tomb Raider.

In that section there is a clearly labeled line that says:
Download the voodoo version of Tomb.exe and substitute it for the original .

THAT is why you see the message.

For your Gamma, click "Support" in the top left corner.

Then look under "Dark screen" about how to adjust Gamma. You will see that you need to click the "adjust" button to adjust the Gamma.

It took far less time for me to find this than it did to type this post.

Next time, you need to actually read the documentation.

Reply 3 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did read the pages through but I am a bit of a technophobe and I found it hard to understand - sorry - and thanks for your kind patience...... I did replace the tomb.exe file; I also put in the trub and trsoft exe.s before posting.... another thing I noticed was that a windows/systems folder was in the TOMBRAID folder which contained glide2x.ovl & GLIDE2x DLL files so copied them into MY WINDOWS/SYSTEMS folder...

After a lot of crashing and hissyfits today I de-installed, redownloaded Glidos.exe v1.6 and the rushtomb folder and re-installed everything EXACTLY as instructions on Glidos pages... I have gamma adjust facility & It started to work .........but after the initial intro video the screen suddenly went light grey and crashed.

I took out the glide2x.ovl & GLIDE2x DLL files from the WINDOWS/SYSTEMS folder but this didn't change the above....

AND OK I finally I download Glidos v. 1.9 and...... IT DID OPEN THE GAME!!! but then a warning box appeared, saying:

You are running a Non-Accelerated Open GL!!
Things can become really slow
+ OK dialogue button

It was too slow to even get the Game passport open - sooo tantalising! - I rebooted, tried Glidos again... and this time I got a light grey screen again???

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply 4 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install your video card drivers. It looks like you are using the Windows drivers which use software OGL. If you do have your video card drivers installed then reinstall them.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 33, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Glidos Where are you finding v1.6 and v1.9, BTW? The current latest release is v1.19.

I'm pretty sure that's an accidental abbreviation (1.6=1.16,1.9=1.19).

The fact that there were glide.dll files in his system directories indicates there is a bit of "clutter" left behind by other program installations.

Reply 7 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my feeble efforts - I'll have a word with my, ahem, personal technician.... who set up the PC but considers TR trivial...maybe some info in Windows help?? ... will have rumage thro CDs.

Hey I tried a couple more times to open TR1 with Glidos and this comes up:

Can't copy Glid2xovl to C:\Tombraid\

*sob*

A pair of glasses go up to the bar and ask for a drink ~ The barman says, "Sorry sir, I can't serve you - your'e off your face!".

Reply 8 of 33, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fridgeraider wrote:

Hey I tried a couple more times to open TR1 with Glidos and this comes up:

Can't copy Glid2xovl to C:\Tombraid\

*sob*

That means one of three things. The file Glide2x.ovl has gotten removed from the main Glidos folder (probably C:\Program Files\Glidos); or you have no C:\Tombraid folder; or there is a "read-only" copy of Glide2x.ovl already in C:\Tombraid.

If you installed TR by copying files off a CD that someone burned for you, then option 3 is a possibility.

Reply 9 of 33, by Nigel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I agree too. I remember when I first started with Glidos I thought I was way too clever to actually bother with supplied installers... However using the Glidos installer really *is* the best way because it copies the right files to the right places and then, somewhat less than surprisingly, *works* !!

(Incidentally I think I must have an original TR1 CD even though it came in the Gold pack with Unfinished business as the logo showed from the first caves.)

If fridgeraider is using Windows XP it's also a good idea to check the order of any other drives *before* the CD drive. My Sony had a Sony Memory Stick drive pre-cofigured with an assigned drive letter lower than the CD. I had to manually re-assign (I decided to use Z) the drive letter so the CD was immediately after the hard-disk.

Reply 10 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using WINDOWS 98 OS (i know that much anyways)

That means one of three things. The file Glide2x.ovl has gotten removed from the main Glidos folder (probably C:\Program Files\Glidos); or you have no C:\Tombraid folder; or there is a "read-only" copy of Glide2x.ovl already in C:\Tombraid.

I checked both folders + files are in C:\
C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glide2x.ovl (Archive)
&
C:\Tombraid\Glide2x.ovl (was neither Read-only or Archive, but I checked Archive )

If you installed TR by copying files off a CD that someone burned for you, then option 3 is a possibility.

I installed TR1 from a CD published by Soldout Software Co.
- musta been the attribute-less Glide2x.ovl in C:\Tombraid folder

I have yet to (re)install the VIDEO CARD DRIVERS, (is anything downloadable from Microsoft site??) - When this is done I'll report back

Meantime, thanks all for being kind enough to enlighten me with your knowledge - I don't know a byte from a butt :p

Reply 11 of 33, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fridgeraider wrote:

I have yet to (re)install the VIDEO CARD DRIVERS, (is anything downloadable from Microsoft site??) - When this is done I'll report back

Depends on your board.

ATI? http://ati.com/
nVidia? http://nvidia.com/

Surely there are other brands out there 😎

Reply 13 of 33, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fridgeraider wrote:
I'm using WINDOWS 98 OS (i know that much anyways) […]
Show full quote

I'm using WINDOWS 98 OS (i know that much anyways)

I checked both folders + files are in C:\
C:\Program Files\Glidos\Glide2x.ovl (Archive)
&
C:\Tombraid\Glide2x.ovl (was neither Read-only or Archive, but I checked Archive )

That's weird then. I should delete the Glidos folder and reinstall
Glidos.

And also delete the Glide2x.ovl file.

Reply 14 of 33, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys, but an ATI 3D Rage Pro does´nt have any openGL support.
It has 8Mb of video RAM and no manufacturer windows drivers!

Take a look:

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/ragei/ … l?cboOS=Windows

Unfortunately, I don´t believe it could run Glidos at all.
Not without any acceleration support...

Reply 16 of 33, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if FridgeRaider's board is a RagePro, but just in case:

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/ragepr … ee&cmdNext=Next

The ATI drivers do support OGL, contrary to the default Microsoft ones. Should be 'accelerated' as well 😉

Reply 17 of 33, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, unfornutalely it is...
She just told me that by mail:

"Video Adaptor" is ATI 3D Rage Pro [atir 3] Memory: 8MB - if that helps."

And I suspect it may be inboard too...
Which means that Glidos won´t run with it.

All the symptoms FridgeRaider reported lead to an insuficient openGL support.
Too bad, really.🙁

She could try those drivers, but with only 8mb and such an old chipset, I doubt it works...

Reply 18 of 33, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

crysulk.gif

*recovers*

I tried using the ati driver from the TR1 CD which gives a slightly better rendition - the colours are rather orangey and it's very dark overall (even with lightest screen settings and PC Control Gamma display settings up to max lightness) - The Game will be quite difficult because you have no idea where obsurely lit openings might be to find secrets, etc. 🙁

Another suggestion was try running in 600 X 800 to check seeing movies in a window and I got the >spinning GLIDOs logo< which I hadn't noticed before because the Game Load was sooooo slow and dark.

Does this mean I should cough up for a Glidos purchase?
- I don't mind chipping in some - I really would like to play TR1 with smoother graphics.

I've played all the TR games on this PC - never had any problems but for future gaming and using Flash/Poser animation programmes maybe it's worth investing in a new graphics card?
Any suggestions?

Reply 19 of 33, by Col.J.P.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No need to weep so loud, lass 😉

Now seriously, before you start thinking about buying a new graphic card you should check your motherboard to see if it supports the latest ones.
You can buy a good Geforce 4 4200 for a couple of bucks, specially when the new GeforceFX comes out next month!

How much system RAM do you got?
You need to have a balanced system in order to play more recent games.
Something like this

1.8Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
512Mb system RAM
Geforce 4 4200
Audigy Player Soundcard
Intel 845 series motherboard

It should´nt be too much expensive and you could get some kicks out of it...😉
And you can run TB Glidos without any problem...

Last edited by Col.J.P. on 2003-01-06, 16:35. Edited 1 time in total.