VOGONS

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this must be the most complicated way I've ever printed Hello World on a screen.

The interesting thing to know would be does this work under Vista?

Attachments

• Filename
    HW.exe
    File size
    47.02 KiB
    Downloads
    1612 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    vdos32.exe
    File size
    172 KiB
    Downloads
    1709 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 42, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Amar. That's great news. There is still a load of work still to do before VDos32 can run more complicated programs like TR1, but this does at least look like a potential solution for TR1, and similar games, under Vista.

Reply 4 of 42, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In a way, but its mostly virtualisation rather than emulation. It will never handle the generality that DosBox does, but for the few programs it will run, it should be very much faster. It will never support old real mode programs.

And its early days. I may never get as far as making it run any real-world programs.

Reply 5 of 42, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A-ha, thanks for your explanation.

Do you already think about Glidos support for Vista? I heard that TR1 for example doesn't work on Vista RC1 with VDMSound and dgvoodoo, maybe Glidos could do it?

Reply 9 of 42, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some progress towards suppoting TR1.

Here's a new version of VDos. I've also attached a self extracting archive that will install TR1. It would be interesting to know if VDos is still working within the constraints of Vista.

Attachments

• Filename
    VDos32.exe
    File size
    192 KiB
    Downloads
    1622 downloads
    File comment
    VDos32 v0.2
    File license
  • Filename
    tombraid4vdos02.exe
    File size
    658.39 KiB
    Downloads
    1631 downloads
    File comment
    A self extracting archive for installing TR1
    File license

Reply 10 of 42, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VDos32 will launch in Vista 64, but errors out whenever you try to load anything. Also, I take it that you don't have any input developed for it. yet. The keyboards on two different PCs did not respond to TR.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 42, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The keyboard does not work for me after I load anything on two different XP machines. The TR install and the game's main executable will load, but I can not do anything.

In 64bit Vista when I click Load Program and select SETUP.EXE or TOMB.EXE I get this:

Attachments

• TombError.png
    Filename
    TombError.png
    File size
    36.98 KiB
    Views
    File license